Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Music) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   The Recommendable Albums (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=104)

ChickShhh 2007.04.07 07:29 PM

The Recommendable Albums

1 Attachment(s)
Oasis - Definitely Maybe (1994)

Reason: I'm thinking of it

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.07 07:32 PM

Rep'd times a million bajillion quadrillion.

(tho I liked Morning Glory best)

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.08 08:25 AM

Just cuz Chickshhh gave me a chub by making a thread solely to post about my favorite (current) band ever, I feel obligated to keep the thread alive.

Heres my recommended album (and I'm gonna keep it in England, just for fun):
Beth Orton - Trailer Park ('97)

Everytime I'm asked to list my favorite bands, Beth Orton comes in third behind Oasis and Shiina (of course, The Beatles "dont count" as they're above mere mortals.) Everytime I type out her name, I know people just skim over it cuz I know they don't recognize the name. "Some unknown - wtfever."
Actually shes fairly well known in England. Not the most famous dame around, but shes got her following. Won the Brit award for Best Female music act in 2000 or some year.

Aanyway, heres a sample and proof that when I blather on about "rock and roll" im not necessarily talking about blaring guitars and fast drums.
Beth Orton - Stolen Car

EDIT: big ups to JustRiingo

kourai 2007.04.08 01:17 PM

The Dresden Dolls - Yes, Virginia...
I would list my favorite bands as
1 Tokyo Jihen
2 The Dresden Dolls
3 Bright Eyes

Yes, Virginia is their 3rd Album, you would really enjoy it if you give them the chance, they are very rock-jazzy in a wicked style...

golem09 2007.04.08 02:20 PM

Most likely my fav Non-Shiina Album

Boring old jazz improvisations:)
brilliant....

Jer 2007.04.09 07:55 AM

NATSUMEN - Never Wear Out Your Summer XXX !!!
SNoW - Hatsuyuki
Everything pre-NANA for OLIVIA
Anything by His Name Is Alive
And a bunch of shit you probably already listen to

zarya 2007.04.09 01:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I will take the risk to sound like a broken record...

いきものがかり - 桜咲く街物語
Ikimonogakari - Sakura saku machi monogatari
It contains all 5 of their singles, and I would have a hard time picking a favorite between them. Anime fans may recall hearing "HANABI" as one of the Bleach ending songs. You might also have seen them perform "SAKURA" on one of the end of the year music specials.

Lena-chan 2007.04.09 02:25 PM

I think I downloaded this album sometime ago
XD
I have heard you saying so good thing about this band, that I was about to search something to download, it's good that I already have it n_n

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.09 04:43 PM

I've never heard of the band you recommended, zarya, but the girl on the cover is adorable! Do you know where I could get some samples and/or download it?

HEDOfloe 2007.04.09 05:17 PM

Miyavi is not the best singer in the world but he is the best guitar player i've ever heard (if you know anyone better, please tell me ^_^). If you like acoustic music, this one is one of the best. He can do so much by himself it is amazing.

You can watch a pv for the album here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_da4hhwo30

Miyaviuta ~ dokusou~

golem09 2007.04.10 01:59 AM

I liked the intro, but the rest... not really

And I can't stand his outfit x_X

justriiingo 2007.04.10 04:19 AM

When I first heard of Miyavi his name was still Miyabi. lol.

Well this being an SR forum and all, once the guitarists step up you will realise that Miyavi is NOT the best guitarist around.

Here is something similar.

I personally think Hirama's not too bad a guitarist himself. I like Sugizo a lot. And that Concerto Moon guy. And then you have those western guitar greats Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen... And these are just the tip of the iceberg, since I'm not a die-hard fan myself. :)

Orenji 2007.04.10 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 1148)
Miyavi is not the best singer in the world but he is the best guitar player i've ever heard (if you know anyone better, please tell me ^_^). If you like acoustic music, this one is one of the best. He can do so much by himself it is amazing.

You can watch a pv for the album here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=f_da4hhwo30

Miyaviuta ~ dokusou~

HATE him.. xD :cool:

Maou 2007.04.10 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 1206)
I personally think Hirama's not too bad a guitarist himself. I like Sugizo a lot. And that Concerto Moon guy. And then you have those western guitar greats Jimi Hendrix, Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, Yngwie Malmsteen... And these are just the tip of the iceberg, since I'm not a die-hard fan myself. :)

Even though I'm the biggest Hirama fanboy around, I don't think he's an upper tier guitarist. I just like him so much because he was a perfect fit for SR's music. Technically speaking, I'd say Hirama is middle tier guitarist who can play a large variety of styles good/above average.

Also, you can't have a guitar greats post without including Tak Matsumoto and Stevie Ray Vaughan. ;)

Also, I recommend (on-topic):

FAKE? - Marilyn is a Bubble
PJ Harvey - Uh Huh Her

Jonny 2007.04.10 05:03 PM

Miles Davis - Sketches of Spain

zarya 2007.04.10 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 1120)
I think I downloaded this album sometime ago
XD
I have heard you saying so good thing about this band, that I was about to search something to download, it's good that I already have it n_n

I hope you like it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats (Post 1142)
I've never heard of the band you recommended, zarya, but the girl on the cover is adorable! Do you know where I could get some samples and/or download it?

I've seen the album on torrent trackers like jpopsuki and tokyotosho. If you're looking for something specific that you can't find, drop me a line!
Their PVs should also be on YouTube for a quicker sampler. And yes, Kiyoe is adorable <3

Trivia: they also covered Momen no Hankerchief, on their Hanabi single. I don't like the arrangements as much as the Ringo version, but it's still good.

justriiingo 2007.04.10 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 1290)

Miles Davis is always good stuff. :)

I shall promote the only music blog I visit: aurgasm.

Lena-chan 2007.04.11 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 1324)
Miles Davis is always good stuff. :)

I shall promote the only music blog I visit: aurgasm.

I have to say again that I never heard before of Cibelle O_O
thanks for the link!
I must recommend Kojima Mayumi's Swingin' Caravan
here http://keikaku.net/reviews/144/ have a review (this site have a HF review too)
love KojiMayu X3
almost as much as I love SR

kuro_neko 2007.04.11 04:59 AM

I have plugged her repeatedly on the old forums, but I found this artist a little while after Ringo. Her style is more straight-foward rock, but she really experiments on her b-sides and non-single tracks, as much as Ringo is known to do, but her rock style is a little more aggressive I think. More classic, I think.

Anyways, she isn't on a major labels anymore, she used to be on Pony Canyon, not she is indies.

She is a lovely woman, her name is Amano Tsukiko.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfGG1rbaXIE

that song is a little more aggressive than her normal material but a lot of my friends seem to like it.

Lena-chan 2007.04.11 05:08 AM

sorry for doubled post
but I also like Tsukiko Amano,
she is curently on my top 5 favorite musicians
I luv Bodaiju (but its PV sucks so much XD)

kuro_neko 2007.04.11 05:16 AM

really? That is awesome! I have had the pleasure of going to a couple shows and getting to receive an album from her at a release event. I just got home from a new single release event in Akihabara. She did a mini-live with some acoustic rearrangements and then her new single, Howling

she returned to indies and her indie label is kind of on the down lately so check out her new single, you can get it from cdjapan and yesasia.

The money is going to an indies company that really needs it, and your actually supporting an artist, unlike most companies nowadays.

Bodaiju is a cool video, its very grand, I love the lighting, kind of eerie, and her dress is very cool.

bromithia 2007.04.12 01:35 PM

I listen to a lot of music, and I'll admit not much of it is that good at all, but some albums that I really like are...

Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt
Sam's Town by The Killers
Neon Bible by Arcade Fire
FutureSex/LoveSounds by Justin Timberlake
Love Angel Music Baby by Gwen Stefani

Had to put some for all different genres in there... ;d And uh, that's all I can think of for now. I also liked Beyonce's new CD but I wouldn't call it that good really, haha.

Jer 2007.04.12 04:36 PM

^That's pretty much only pop... xD

Maou 2007.04.12 04:42 PM

^ Sam's Town is not pop, it's pop-rock. :p

Jonny 2007.04.12 06:23 PM

As for Amano, I like her 天龍 album.

Jonny 2007.04.12 06:39 PM

Sorry for the double post, but

What's a recommended Dir en grey album? Seeing as the band will play live in my hood, maybe I should at least give them another try. I normally feel sick in a tubgirl kind of way when thinking about these bands. But, I'm always open to new experiences (lie). So try to convince me?

HEDOfloe 2007.04.12 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 1585)
^ Sam's Town is not pop, it's pop-rock. :p

Is Sam's town good? I think their first album is ok so I was just wondering about this one.

Maou 2007.04.12 07:45 PM

Sam's Town is overall better than the first album. It has its slow moments, but it's still pretty good. It's less '80s synth pop and more experimental. Bones is pretty much their best song (after Under the Gun if that counts).

As for Dir en grey. Vulgar and Withering to death are great albums, Six ugly sucks, and The Marrow of a Bone is very good. Those are the only albums you should worry about because they don't play any older songs anymore.

bromithia 2007.04.12 08:41 PM

lol, Justin Timberlake and Arcade Fire are not the same genre...

Anyways, what's wrong with pop? ;-;

ChickShhh 2007.04.12 09:07 PM

http://www.sendspace.com/file/tq7fqt

Try this.
This song is very Ringo-ish.

If I define SR voice as hardcore, then her voice would be somehow 'softcore'. Yea, like Faye Wong's. Her name is Ivana

However
You may feel difficult to understand what she sings as the lyric is sung in Cantonese
Give this song a try
The music arrangement is very interesting

p.s. This is not her main genre

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.30 05:58 AM

Late response...

Electoon Wizard
- TUCKER

Instrumental jam/improv stuff with hip-hop influence and a DIY attitude (I think that most of his modification/circuit-bending stuff is on his first album - sadly, I haven't heard it). He uses a lot of old organs that he modifies himself, which I think is pretty damn cool. If anyone has seen Akihabara@DEEP, they should recognize his music, since most of the show's soundtrack was taken from this album.

YouTube of Akihabara@DEEP intro, TUCKER playing in the background:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqP2ZayOiNI

Other YouTube links of live performances that are (I'm assuming) more akin to his first album than his second:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPIQfAwjHmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7AOLdK0piIc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HANLTJZZWtM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8iUHVODJ1M
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4R7GJEbasU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qu4GJKNeFM

And for anyone who isn't really all that impressed by the second set of videos, understand that "Electoon Wizard" sounds much more like the Akiba@DEEP intro than the other videos.

PM me if you want more of his stuff.

fluffiethesock 2007.04.30 01:48 PM

Recommended:
Origin of Symmetry by Muse (as you can see on the cover art).
Amazing stuff here. While I don't always agree with all of their
messages (anti-religion, anti-"American President" stuff, etc.), they
are one of my favorite bands. And this is their best album!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Origin_of_symmetry

Everybody has to hear "Citizen Erased" and "Micro Cuts" with no pause between them at least once in their life! DOOO IIIIIT!

justriiingo 2007.05.11 11:46 PM

The Observatory - A Far Cry from Here

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

A Far Cry From Here
Following on from Time of Rebirth and Blank Walls, The Observatory unleashes their third album in four years. Assimilating diverse influences -- Soft Machine, This Heat, Tortoise, Talk Talk, Shining, Jaga Jazzist, Supersilent, Brian Wilson, Robert Wyatt, Nick Drake e. al -- into a rich and imaginative musical vision, on which vocalist-guitarist Leslie Low builds his pensive, tender yet elliptical song-craft. The adventurous and epic exist in perfect tandem with restraint and intricacy. Exploring an ocean of sound and emotion, A Far Cry From Here should strike a chord with fans of experimental and progressive-minded classics such as Radiohead's OK Computer, Talk Talk's Spirit of Eden and Wilco's A Ghost Is Born.
Try:
01. The last grand fallible plan, from their third album
02. Time of Rebirth, from their debut album
03. Observations of life, from their website

This band is absolutely amazing. Their sound is somewhat electronic rock, similiar to Pink Floyd. If you're looking for a soundtrack to fill the air while you think and reflect about the things in life, do give them a try.

Jonny 2007.05.12 03:58 AM

Katatonia - Discouraged Ones

This was my top album for a long time - longer than Shouso Strip so far. It's still up there, the style of it is quite different from Ringo however SS could capture some of it with SS. Then again, comparison is quite useless...

golem09 2007.05.12 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 4859)
Try:
01. The last grand fallible plan, from their third album
02. Time of Rebirth, from their debut album
03. Observations of life, from their website

This band is absolutely amazing. Their sound is somewhat electronic rock, similiar to Pink Floyd. If you're looking for a soundtrack to fill the air while you think and reflect about the things in life, do give them a try.

wow, great stuff, especially The last gradn fallible plan. I couldn't believe that it was only running for 3 minutes when I looked at iTunes half way through. Felt like I was listening for some hours...

justriiingo 2007.05.12 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 4874)
wow, great stuff, especially The last grand fallible plan. I couldn't believe that it was only running for 3 minutes when I looked at iTunes half way through. Felt like I was listening for some hours...

Yeah :) Golem likes The Obs. :D

EmilScherbe 2007.05.22 02:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Chick Corea & Gary Burton - Crystal Silence
Piano and Vibraphone duo performance.
You don't need bassist, drummer or guitarist to make good music.

insanitykun 2007.05.25 11:10 PM

Gorgeous, but absolutely depressing piano driven music.

Wacky, fun electronica that samples all sorts of toy instruments.

Blonde Redhead - 23.
Totally, totally amazing.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.26 03:16 AM

is it really? (The Blonde Redhead)
I've liked some of their songs, in my day, but wasn't sure I could listen to them for a whole album length. Is it really good?

golem09 2007.05.26 07:34 AM

The Psapp Album is amazing, I just listened to it. Hi, Needle&Thread and Upstairs are SO good...
My fav thread on this planet^^

EDIT: Now I also listendet to Psapp's "Tiger, My Friend", and I think, I could like this one even more.Anyway Psapp rocks!

JimmyKoria 2007.05.29 08:54 PM

Poe - Haunted
She wrote the album based on a book written by her brother. It's really beautiful album with bits of humor in it. I guess if the album were to be classified it would be under alt-rock.
Placebo - Meds
I thought Sleeping With Ghosts was as good as it was going to get but I was wrong. Meds has more of their old style fused with the Sleeping With Ghosts.
Hamasaki Ayumi - LOVEppears
I've never heard such depressing lyrics from a Japanese pop singer. I utterly hate the title of the album.
Motion City Soundtrack - I am the Movie
Never ever listen to this album when you're trying to go to sleep. I've done it and I get all excited and want to jump around and break crap. The beats so estatic and playful, they're a really good mix of pop and punk with 80's like elements.
Marlyn Manson - Mechanical Animals
I love this album to bits. I havent heard it in ages but it's really good. The idea of the album was about birth and how painful it is to come into the world.

I'm also really addicted the the klaxon's debut album :3

Lena-chan 2007.05.30 03:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyKoria (Post 6800)
Hamasaki Ayumi - LOVEppears
I've never heard such depressing lyrics from a Japanese pop singer. I utterly hate the title of the album.

really???
O.o
I don't think fly high, Boys & girls and who... have depressing lyrics
to me Ayumi carrer could had begin with 'I am' and end with 'My story'
with rainbow and memorial address being her masterpieces
and to me the depressiest(and best) ayumi song is memorial address

golem09 2007.05.30 04:29 AM

So finally, I waited long enough, but now it deserves to be here.

Maia Hirasawa - Though I'm just me

There is only one song on the whole album that I don't like (Star Again), but the rest is just great. Especially Crackers and Gothenburg

Listen here if you want to

(And I knkow that you want to XD)

justriiingo 2007.05.30 08:11 PM

I'd download that if I'm not on dial-up. hmpf.

Maia looks like Bjork on the cover eh?

golem09 2007.05.31 03:25 AM

And she looks more asian than on any other photo I saw of her

vayerism 2007.05.31 05:02 AM

Blonde Redhead - 23.
Totally, totally amazing.[/quote]

Blonde Redhead Kick Ass:lol:

JimmyKoria 2007.05.31 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 6830)
really???
O.o
I don't think fly high, Boys & girls and who... have depressing lyrics
to me Ayumi carrer could had begin with 'I am' and end with 'My story'
with rainbow and memorial address being her masterpieces
and to me the depressiest(and best) ayumi song is memorial address

I always skip over boys & girls and who, hahaha! But fly high is one of those sad optomistic songs I think. I guess Duty was one of her saddest albums along with My Story. I never liked My Story, the beats were mideocore and the lyrics felt unfinished. I am... will always be a good album but it's very commercial (which isn't a bad thing). Rainbow was really intresting because she wrote differently on that album and for the most part the lyrics didn't feel so much like jpop. Memorial Address is such a sad song. I'd rank it pretty high up there, especially when she played it live (in the most awful looking dress ever). I usually hate Hamasaki live but I loved Memorial Address live.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 6835)
So finally, I waited long enough, but now it deserves to be here.

Maia Hirasawa - Though I'm just me

There is only one song on the whole album that I don't like (Star Again), but the rest is just great. Especially Crackers and Gothenburg

Listen here if you want to

(And I knkow that you want to XD)

She reminds me of this one other singer. I love Crackers, it's so cute!

I might try and obtain this album :3

Jonny 2007.05.31 10:58 PM

I really tried Maia... but I hate it.

zach 2007.06.04 09:38 AM

Zach's Massive Recommendations Post

I love music. And I love learning about great music, so I'll definitely be watching this thread.

For the record: KSK is one of the best albums ever made. Okay, had to say it.

Now, I'm usually recommending Japanese artists like SR, Bonnie Pink, Yuu Nakashima, Yaiko, Mai Hoshimura, Tommy, Maaya Sakamoto, Ayu Okakita, Love Psychedelico, Orange Pekoe, Rurutia, Yukawa Shione, etc. But this time I'll give you some of my favorite listens from the world outside Asia.

After KSK, some albums I positively love are (in no particular order):

Soul of the Tango - the music of Astor Piazzolla
Piazzolla was an insanely clever 20th century nuevo tango composer. Some of his earlier works used very interesting tonalities (and if you're a piano player, the sheet music made you want to run and hide... it did me, at least). But early in his career he decided to devote himself to using only Argentine tango as the basis for his composition. He developed it further than it had ever gone. To hear his painful and passionate masterworks played by such a great cellist as Yo-yo Ma will make you want to delve deeper into the world of Piazzolla.

Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Formerly frontman of the NY-based jazz/funk electro-noise quartet Soul Coughing, his solo effort has him sounding more mature and his songcraft more developed. Also, I believe fewer drugs were consumed in process. It's a thoroughly wicked album, with loads of great sounds.

Dave Koz - Off the Beaten Path
The all-acoustic band tracks and production are 100% enjoyable, especially for a saxophone player who made only keyboard-based smooth jazz before this disc.

Sixpence None the Richer - Divine Discontent
Pop Done Right. Always impeccably tasteful guitar texturings, love the strings incorporated throughout, love Leigh's voice.

Iona - Heaven's Bright Sun (live double CD)
This was a very bright spot in the career of the world's best Celtic progressive rock band. The modern and traditional meet like old friends, the compositions and arrangements are astounding, and the sheer musicianship of the (almost entirely multi-instrumental) band never ceases to amaze me. Some breathtaking stuff.

A Word on Guitarists

People mentioned great guitarists. Many great names were mentioned, but I've got a few gems for you that weren't yet mentioned.

Tribal Tech - Reality Check
A hard-edged fusion jazz album from four musical phenoms. The bass player Gary Willis can play changes better than any bassist I've ever heard. Straight up. And jazz/blues/metal guitarist Scott Henderson is something of a legend, having influenced many modern guitar players. He's a little too clean and outside for metal, a little too bendy and screamy for jazz, and ... well, he's great at blues. But he's too versatile to not fit somewhere.

Dave Bainbridge - Veil of Gossamer
This album is fantastic. Majestic and brilliant. With this album, Dave strongly reinforced his position as my favorite electric guitarist. The album is unexpectedly acoustic in flavor, with a huge array of instruments on board, most played by Dave himself. Dave was the composer/arranger/producer of this project, and it all flows together in amazing ways. You can find more reviews online.

Dave is a UK-based bloke, and lead guitarist for Iona (also above). His solos are some of the most melodic guitar solos I've ever heard. I love him because he doesn't always think like a guitarist. Many times guitarists (even amazing ones) stick to guitar-based licks, but Dave often thinks pianistically on the guitar. Sometimes he seems to employ Coltrane's idea of "sheets of sound."

Anyway, I'm obviously a huge fan. He's vastly musical. If you only want a guitarist who is "impressive" look elsewhere. A chopper like Yngwie Malmsteen can certainly play faster, but I would rather listen to one of Dave's perfectly chosen notes than 20 of Yngwie's. Sorry Yngwie.

Other great guitarists not mentioned yet that you may enjoy:
  • Brett Garsed
    He is somewhere in between the rock-mindset technical speed wizards like Vai and the jazzy, interesting-melodies players like Henderson. He's got astounding legato technique and a great feel.
  • Pat Metheny
    Do I really need to explain? Just saying it 'cause no one else did yet.
  • Jesse Cook
    Fantastic modern flamenco guitarist. I love 95% of his stuff.
  • Marc Antoine
    Unbridled melodicism and a great sound. Fusion artist in the smooth jazz vein who nicely melds many world influences. His ideas on solos are well-developed.
  • Edward Gerhard
    Acoustic folk/classical wizard. I always love listening to his albums. He can claim responsibility for some of the most beautiful solo acoustic guitar tunes ever made.

Scratching the tip of the iceberg...

justriiingo 2007.06.04 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 7686)

Soul of the Tango - the music of Astor Piazzolla
Piazzolla was an insanely clever 20th century nuevo tango composer. Some of his earlier works used very interesting tonalities (and if you're a piano player, the sheet music made you want to run and hide... it did me, at least). But early in his career he decided to devote himself to using only Argentine tango as the basis for his composition. He developed it further than it had ever gone. To hear his painful and passionate masterworks played by such a great cellist as Yo-yo Ma will make you want to delve deeper into the world of Piazzolla.

:wub: :wub: :wub:
"Everything can change in Argentina, except the Tango."
And then came Astor Piazzolla.
I haven't heard this album, but I've seen a video of Astor Piazolla and Yo-yo Ma play Libertango and I wasn't too keen on how the cello sounded like. I'm more for his Quinteto/Octeto Buenos Aires stuff. I can't tell you how much I love this guy. I get into periods where I just listen to his stuff and only his stuff for months... (granted, only 2 so far, but your post might just start another one)

Cool to see a Piazzolla fan on board. :)

vayerism 2007.06.04 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 7686)
Other great guitarists not mentioned yet that you may enjoy:
  • Brett Garsed
    He is somewhere in between the rock-mindset technical speed wizards like Vai and the jazzy, interesting-melodies players like Henderson. He's got astounding legato technique and a great feel.
  • Pat Metheny
    Do I really need to explain? Just saying it 'cause no one else did yet.
  • Jesse Cook
    Fantastic modern flamenco guitarist. I love 95% of his stuff.
  • Marc Antoine
    Unbridled melodicism and a great sound. Fusion artist in the smooth jazz vein who nicely melds many world influences. His ideas on solos are well-developed.
  • Edward Gerhard
    Acoustic folk/classical wizard. I always love listening to his albums. He can claim responsibility for some of the most beautiful solo acoustic guitar tunes ever made.
Scratching the tip of the iceberg...

Cool to see guys like fusion jazz so much here :) which album of Brett Garsed can recommend to me? I would love to listen guitarist play like Scott Henderson and STEVE VAI.

btw, do you like Aldi Meola? I like to listen him so much when I was in secondary school, introduced by my english teach, he always play very cool and fast improvisation on acoustic guitar. "Racing with Devil in Spanish Highway" I like this song so much :D but seldom listen to him nowaday...

fluffiethesock 2007.06.04 11:10 PM

Why, vayerism.. you definitely just stole a good chunk of zach's post and pretended it was yours! :p

zach 2007.06.05 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 7779)
I haven't heard this album, but I've seen a video of Astor Piazolla and Yo-yo Ma play Libertango and I wasn't too keen on how the cello sounded like. I'm more for his Quinteto/Octeto Buenos Aires stuff.

Really cool to meet another Piazzolla fan as well. I'd agree with you on the quintet stuff being his best, it gets loads of spins in my player, but the Ma album is usually considered more accessible and thus a good jumping-on point when recommending Piazzolla albums. And I've yet to hear a better rendition of "Le Grand Tango" (which is the song that first got me into Piazzolla) than the one on this disc. And if you haven't heard his compositions for flute and guitar, find it and grab it. It's awesome.

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 7779)
I get into periods where I just listen to his stuff and only his stuff for months... (granted, only 2 so far, but your post might just start another one)

For me that was a couple years in college. I was a piano major in school, and I hunted down his sheet music and forced my piano profs to let me play it. I listened to him and Arturo Sandoval almost nonstop. I know, strange combination, but it worked for me. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vayerism (Post 7780)
which album of Brett Garsed can recommend to me? I would love to listen guitarist play like Scott Henderson and STEVE VAI.

Perhaps I was misleading. He doesn't play like either of them. He's somewhere in the middle. It's like if Scott Henderson had grown up listening only to pop and rock, or if Vai listened to less metal and more jazz. And sorry, I can't really recommend one particular album since I don't think I have a complete one myself *cough cough*

Quote:

Originally Posted by vayerism (Post 7780)
btw, do you like Aldi Meola?

I do. When I was young, my dad was always playing some of his songs so I got into his music that way.

justriiingo 2007.06.06 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zach (Post 7836)
I hunted down his sheet music and forced my piano profs to let me play it.

Alright, I'm probably not skilled enough to play any of them, but where on earth can I find real Piazzolla sheet music (not the stripped down rearranged stuff)? I'm having no luck at my local sheet music stores nor the internet.

zach 2007.06.06 12:52 AM

I've never found legitimate trascriptions of the quintet stuff to my knowledge, but you can definitely find some of his more chamber-oriented stuff. I picked up some of his earlier piano compositions and the cello/piano version of Le Grand Tango from some German publisher, but I forget where I got it. It was years ago and it was really hard to find. I don't have the music with me (left it in the US) so I can't check right now. I'll get back to you on that.

zach 2007.06.06 02:30 AM

Okay, I'm pretty sure I got my Piazzolla sheet music from here:

http://www.tonosmusic.com/shop/advan...ords=Piazzolla

Their site has changed since the last time I visited, but it looks like they still have the same stuff. It's a little hard to know what's simplified and rearranged and what's an original Piazzolla score, but you might check any desired purchase against this chart:

http://www.yonezawa.com/piazzolla/scores.htm

Hope that helps.

bebio 2007.06.06 03:25 AM

well, I've been listening a lot to Battles lately!

I think most people are gonna kill me for recommending such weird and crazy music, but I'll go for it and recommend it anyway. I think they are a great live band.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7AgpaeTaVw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fEDimkGo0E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4WJuK0RiL8

justriiingo 2007.06.07 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebio (Post 7940)
well, I've been listening a lot to Battles lately!

Oh man that's cool! They kinda remind me of Tortoise.

Thanks bebio!

bebio 2007.06.08 07:30 AM

you're welcome!

HEDOfloe 2007.06.10 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 1290)

Nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by insanitykun (Post 6433)

Blonde Redhead - 23.
Totally, totally amazing.

I would not say they are totally amazing but it is a nice album, thanks for suggesting it.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.06.10 04:47 PM

The Libertines - Up The Bracket

Pretty much brought back the British Rock scene, and re-ignited the underground indie scene in Britain. If it wasn't for this album, it is unlikely you would have heard of most of the present massive British rock bands. They're full of style, nostalgia and romance and Doherty is probably one of the best lyricists our times, winning numerous poetry awards. My favourite lyric is probably:

"An ending fitting for the start,
You twist and tore our love apart.
Your life fingers through the dark.
Shattered the lamp, into darkness it cast us.

You know you've got it the wrong way round,
You shut me up, and blamed it on the brown.
Cornered the boy kicked out at the world,
The world kicked back a lot fucking harder"

I honestly believe that Pete Doherty and Carl Barat are one of the best song writing duos England has produced since Lennon/McCartney. It's a shame that they only officially released 2 albums before breaking up under the stress of drugs but Doherty has released a ton of new free acoustic material for his fans over the net, and it blows me away every time.

bromithia 2007.06.11 11:56 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1329
Icky Thump by The White Stripes - Very good album... not sure if it's their best, but it's definitely better than Get Behind Me Satan.

Cosmicolor by M-flo - Again, not their best, but it's still good. Depressing how they aren't making anymore albums. I always hoped they would do a song with Shiina, hah.

Can't think of anything else. :x

das_blibber 2007.06.11 02:28 PM

something i always wanted to recommend since my RJ-time:

HIROMI UEHARA (also called just "Hiromi")

its jazz.
technically brilliant jazz.
not too oldskool, but yet kinda traditional, standard-oriented.
ful of beauty and still she always manages to give her music a deep interlectual touch(=disharmonic parts)
somewhere i read, that she may be one of japan's most underrated piano-players. and i can only second that!!!!

and even more astonishing is, that if playing live, she is absolute accourate. even the 64th notes are perfectly played.

wait... *start digging in google for a pic and a wikpedia-link* ...

ok, here is the wiki-link:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiromi

and here is a pic of her latest and most elaborated album: Spiral

have fun :)

here 2 youtube-videos:
1.: Sakura Sakura
Hiromi Uehara - Sakura Sakura

2.: Return of the Kung-Fu Champion
Hiromi Uehara - Return of the Kung-Fu Champion

oh, this passion :wub:

_edit_: if anyone is really interested, i am more than willing to share... just PM me

_edit_2_:inserted 2 youtube-links and uploaded "spiral" (320kbit) to sendspace... so dont be shy, ask for the link, it is worth your time :)

bebio 2007.06.18 05:28 AM

Recently, I've been listening to the new Shellac album, "Excellent Italian Greyhound".

A note of warning about Shellac though -- their music is minimalistic, raw, in-your-face, with lyrics full of sarcasm, irony, and private jokes. Meaning, it takes some patience to apreciate their qualities...

You can download a track from their previous album (1000 Hurts) here:
http://www.epitonic.com/index.jsp?re...2Fshellac.html

And here it's possible to see a live performance of the first song "The End Of Radio", that is the opening track for the new album.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-pZdxVdBew

zach 2007.06.18 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by das_blibber (Post 8822)
HIROMI UEHARA (also called just "Hiromi")

its jazz.
technically brilliant jazz.

I'd like to reinforce this recommendation: Yes. Hiromi is awesome.

Word of warning. If you like primarily SR-type jazz, this is not it. Hiromi delivers furious and witty textures and melodies with the insanity of HZM but with the theory and the technique of a classical great. She can be very, very impressive if you go for that kind of thing.

Most interesting to me is her novel composition approach. Her composition style is somewhere in between prog-metal and neoclassical concerto. But the delivery is edgy straight-ahead jazz, complete with rapid angular melodies and quartal left-hand comping. It's a delightful hybrid.

ChickShhh 2007.06.18 07:17 AM

^seconded that

Do ask for the link if you love piano.

Feel_My_Mind 2007.06.18 10:09 AM

Sone of my fav bands:
a little bit commercial I know lol

Augustana - All The Stars And Boulevards

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Björk - Greatest Hits

Sia - Color the Small One

French Music

Emilie simon - Vegetal

Zazie - La Zizanie

justriiingo 2007.06.18 05:35 PM

Samples... please? :)

HEDOfloe 2007.06.18 05:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bromithia (Post 8790)
Attachment 1330
Icky Thump by The White Stripes - Very good album... not sure if it's their best, but it's definitely better than Get Behind Me Satan.

Attachment 1331
Cosmicolor by M-flo - Again, not their best, but it's still good. Depressing how they aren't making anymore albums. I always hoped they would do a song with Shiina, hah.

Can't think of anything else. :x

Thats not the picture for cosmicolor, its the one for M-flo Inside works.

ChickShhh 2007.06.18 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feel_My_Mind (Post 9799)
Sone of my fav bands:
a little bit commercial I know lol

Amy Winehouse - Back To Black

Sia - Color the Small One

OMG great.

bromithia 2007.06.18 08:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I agree wif Amy Winehouse.

Attachment 1332

Any Fiona Apple music is good, but my favorite album from her is When The Pawn... (title is way too long, not typing it all out.)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9Kkg1IkGJ0Y ... didn't know how to get the video thing to work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 9883)
Thats not the picture for cosmicolor, its the one for M-flo Inside works.

Oh! Thanks. Fixed it.

Feel_My_Mind 2007.06.19 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 9875)
Samples... please? :)

Voila!

i adore Augustana!
it such a greate band!!

Augustana - Boston

Augustana - Stars and Boulevards

Amy Winehouse

Amy Winehouse - You Know I'm No Good

Sia

Sia - Breathe me

French

Emilie Simon

Emilie Simon - Fleur de Saison

Zazie

Zazie - Rue de la Paix

the last one reminds me some how to bjork "all is full of love"
It sounds a little bit boring at the first listening, but the chorus is really cool, so be patient haha

Ananda 2007.06.19 06:00 AM

OMG Björk is way better than Zazie :s

Feel_My_Mind 2007.06.19 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ananda (Post 9934)
OMG Björk is way better than Zazie :s

Zazie latest album isn't so good, but "la Zizanie" is for sure one of her best albums!!

I do love Bjork, Selmasongs is an amazing album, Medulla really impressed me and Homogenic cover is so fabulous!!!!

But i was a little bit disappointed about bjork latest album, Volta, there are only 5 or 6 song which are great...
and i do have bought the limited edition of Volta

Feel_My_Mind 2007.06.20 08:15 AM

Does somebody know Hooverphonic?

Hooverphonic - Mad About You

zach 2007.06.20 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feel_My_Mind (Post 9920)
French

Emilie Simon

Thanks for recommending her; I'm really liking her stuff.

Hooverphonic's pretty good, but I think the track you posted is possibly their best song.

HEDOfloe 2007.06.20 02:11 PM

Can anyone recommend to me any of those "average" bands that make music like OSCA? I know will not be the same without Ringo but I'd like to hear some.

bebio 2007.06.21 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 10185)
Can anyone recommend to me any of those "average" bands that make music like OSCA? I know will not be the same without Ringo but I'd like to hear some.

you mean, japanese bands, or any country is ok?

HEDOfloe 2007.06.21 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bebio (Post 10218)
you mean, japanese bands, or any country is ok?

Yea, anywhere.

Maou 2007.07.09 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper (Post 8664)
The Libertines - Up The Bracket

Thanks for the recommendation. I was already familiar with Dirty Pretty Things, but somehow the Libertines escaped me. Great album. There wasn't a single song I didn't like My favorite track is Time For Heroes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 10185)

Y'know, I didn't realize how hard it is to find lighthearted pop-rock music. Of course nothing will be exactly the same as Tokyo Jihen since there won't be any howling banshee singing (I like that) or terrible Uki country/funk guitar. However, that doesn't mean it's any better or worse either. You should try some Glay, Do As Infinity (you even get Kameda on bass), Zone, and Fairy Fore.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.07.09 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 11845)
Thanks for the recommendation. I was already familiar with Dirty Pretty Things, but somehow the Libertines escaped me. Great album. There wasn't a single song I didn't like My favorite track is Time For Heroes.

w00t. That's my favourite song too!

Orenji 2007.07.09 12:51 PM

I saw that someone recommended this album too, but it's too great for not doing again...

Emilie Simon's "Végétal". I discovered it a few weeks ago but I just LOVE it. :wub:

Also, I recommend a few albums that I've been listening to lately :).

• Björk's "Medúlla"

• Björk's "Greatest Hits"

• Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black"

• Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine"

I'd recommend Hikki's "ULTRA BLUE" and Pizzicato Five's discography, but I'm sure you all know them :).

Feel_My_Mind 2007.07.11 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 11852)
I saw that someone recommended this album too, but it's too great for not doing again...

Emilie Simon's "Végétal". I discovered it a few weeks ago but I just LOVE it. :wub:

Also, I recommend a few albums that I've been listening to lately :).
  • Björk's "Medúlla"
  • Björk's "Greatest Hits"
  • Amy Winehouse's "Back To Black"
  • Fiona Apple's "Extraordinary Machine"

I'd recommend Hikki's "ULTRA BLUE" and Pizzicato Five's discography, but I'm sure you all know them :).

ohh you like Emilie simon, that's greate, she's really amazing

medulla really impressed me, amazing what she can do without instruments

Greatest hits, one pieace of collection, one of my fav track is missing, COCOON :(

And Fiona Apple is amazing, extraordinary machine is really cool, but i heard there is 2 different versions of the album, i don't know wich one i've got

I recommend Monkey Majik, everybody should like them, they are soooooo cool
The japanese tour is sould out :'(
I recommend the last 3 singles:

卒業,そして未来へ。

"Monkey Majik - sotsugyou soshite miraihe

Picture Perfect

"Monkey Majik - Picture Perfect

Change

"Monkey Majik - Change

Orenji 2007.07.11 05:16 AM

Oh, we have a lot of albums in common! :):):).

Monkey Majik!! I like them! Their latest album, "Sora wa Maru de" is pretty good. Their best track, "Change" :wub:.

HEDOfloe 2007.07.13 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 11845)
Y'know, I didn't realize how hard it is to find lighthearted pop-rock music. Of course nothing will be exactly the same as Tokyo Jihen since there won't be any howling banshee singing (I like that) or terrible Uki country/funk guitar. However, that doesn't mean it's any better or worse either. You should try some Glay, Do As Infinity (you even get Kameda on bass), Zone, and Fairy Fore.

Yea, its not that its so hard to find, but that alot of it just is not really good, in my opinion. I've tried Glay and I do not like them from the start, but I don't remember why since it was a while back. Do as infinity I liked for a bit, but none of the songs really stuck with me so I dumped them. I have not heard of Zone so I guess I will look into them. Fairy Fore I have heard a song of theirs, it was the one that was used as the ending for Final fantasy Ultimate. I think it was called VIVID. I really liked it but it was pretty hard finding anything of theirs but now that you reminded me of them I guess I will go search again.

"Howling banshee", Nice :D.

bromithia 2007.07.13 02:29 PM

I love that Change song by Monkey Majik *_*

Feel_My_Mind 2007.07.14 06:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 11980)
Oh, we have a lot of albums in common! :):):).

Monkey Majik!! I like them! Their latest album, "Sora wa Maru de" is pretty good. Their best track, "Change" :wub:.

that's what i was thinking too, that cool, finaly someone who has some nice music taste, hehe i'm kidding, i'm kidding!
Sora wa Maru is cool, don't like much the PV, this country PV grrrr
But i love MAYBE, it's so coooooool this acoustic guitar *O*

Quote:

Originally Posted by bromithia (Post 12161)
I love that Change song by Monkey Majik *_*

Change was my secong big love song of Monkey majik ah ah ah

Around the world was my first one

justriiingo 2007.07.21 07:11 PM

For anyone who thinks that good Korean music is an urban legend, please do check out The Turning Gate's round-up of great Korean musicians. I wished I came across this page earlier. Seriously, I think it's the best ever round up of Korean artists I've ever came across (big ups for including Roller Coaster! They're highly underrated!). I'm liking almost everything on that page.

Try:
Roller Coaster - Last Scene (possibly my favourite Korean song)
Bluedawn - Tabula Rasa
Humming Urban Stereo - Scully Doesn't Know
Casker - 7월의 이파네마 소녀 (can someone help me romanise/translate the title please? :) )

The songs probably fall under the "acid/electro pop" category. Either way, it's good stuff. Try them out!

redstuff 2007.07.22 11:15 AM

The Casker song´s romanized as 7 Weol-e Ipanema Sonyeo. I looked up the middle word and couldn´t find anything, but 7weol - July, and Sanyo means "girl". (Any other Korean speakers here? My Korean kind of sucks so...)

And thanks for the link. I´ve been meaning to find some Korean stuff outside of Cherry Filter and Jaurim, but had no idea where to look and I keep hearing things about how bad Korean music generally is. So it´s nice to find some other worthwhile stuff.

justriiingo 2007.07.22 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redstuff (Post 12947)
The Casker song´s romanized as 7 Weol-e Ipanaema Sanyo. I looked up the middle word and couldn´t find anything, but 7weol - July, and Sanyo means "girl". (Any other Korean speakers here? My Korean kind of sucks so...)

Oh. Maybe it's July Ipanema Girl, Ipanema being a place in Brazil... you know, that famous bossa nova ditty by Astrud Gilberto "The Girl from Ipanema". Thanks redstuff!

edit: Seems like The Turning Gate has a few more other entries regarding Korean music. I'll just link them all here.
Part I
Part II
Part III
Part IV

Should have totally found this site before I went to Seoul. Now I've to pay more to get the CDs from YesAsia. :(

pariscombo 2007.07.24 09:37 PM

Quote:

Should have totally found this site before I went to Seoul. Now I've to pay more to get the CDs from YesAsia. :(
If you want the albums in the list at the site you linked, leave me a message. I think I can give you most songs in the list.

fluffiethesock 2007.07.24 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feel_My_Mind (Post 12212)
Change was my secong big love song of Monkey majik ah ah ah

Around the world was my first one

Mmmm, Around the World, Change, and Fly. Fly has pretty simple lyrics, but the tune is enjoyable nonetheless.

HEDOfloe 2007.08.23 10:16 AM

Does anyone know of a band with a guitarist that makes similar sounds as Uki? I used to not care about Hirama vs. Uki because I liked both phases as a whole and not based on their parts, but I have noticed that a lot of the things I like from phase 2 come from uki's cool sounds. So if anyone can point me anywhere I would appreciate it.

zach 2007.08.23 10:28 AM

I'm hanging out with the Turning Gate dude this weekend. He's a great guy. Met him a few weeks back and we went to a Sogyumo Acacia Band / Fortune Cookie show in Hongdae. Both were fantastic bands. (And incidentally, both bands opened with songs about cats. That's pretty much all I know since my Korean is quite primitive.) Anyway, allow me to reinforce the recommendations on the above site. They're all pretty much great, and a lot of those albums have now materialized in my collection. :)

Maou 2007.08.24 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 15101)
Does anyone know of a band with a guitarist that makes similar sounds as Uki? I used to not care about Hirama vs. Uki because I liked both phases as a whole and not based on their parts, but I have noticed that a lot of the things I like from phase 2 come from uki's cool sounds. So if anyone can point me anywhere I would appreciate it.

Sugizo plays similar slides all over Luna Sea's songs, but we've already established that you don't like them. This is probably way off-base, but I suggest you look into some Motown, funk and country music. Queen and classic David Bowie may also be a good place to start.

HEDOfloe 2007.08.24 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 15222)
Sugizo plays similar slides all over Luna Sea's songs, but we've already established that you don't like them. This is probably way off-base, but I suggest you look into some Motown, funk and country music. Queen and classic David Bowie may also be a good place to start.

Yea sugizo is pretty good, I liked his playing on The Flare as well but I did not like their music as a whole. As for the others, I definitely do not like country music. I like funk, but I don't think I have ever heard JUST funk, just mainly mixes of funk with other styles, so I guess I should look more into that. Motown i've heard and I like but I don't really have any of it so maybe I should go look into that. As for queen, I've heard some of their music and although I thought some songs were pretty good, I have not really looked into them. I have never heard anything from David Bowie, or at least not knowingly so I'll check him out.

Thanks for the recommendations, but since you said they were probably off base of what I asked I was wondering why did you recommend them?

Maou 2007.08.25 08:11 AM

^ It really just depends on what you consider "cool sounds" to be. You didn't really specify what aspect you were looking for. So...

Slides and bends: Queen. Try stuff like Killer Queen and The March of the Black Queen.
Palm muted attack - funk music
Muted fast attacks - Various rockabilly artists like Brian Setzer/Stray Cats. Avoid the sub-genre psychobilly though since it's likely too punk for you.
Harmonics and other stuff: David Bowie's Ziggy Stardust
General tone: country music

HEDOfloe 2007.08.25 03:42 PM

I really can't be specific because I really don't know the terms and how each sound is exactly made. But as for punk music, is My Chemical Romance considered punk? I like them, not too much but there are some songs I really like. But they are the only band like that I listen to. I think i'd listen to more punk if they had less annoying singers, although most if it now is pretty baseless crap.

The reason I asked why you recommended those things is because I'm not sure exactly what things you know that I like that you are using to base your opinion on. You said psychobilly is probably too punk for me, is that like "Psychobilly Freak-out"? Because I like that song. I know i've seen some people say that uki is good for country music, but I don't really see the connection and since I don't like country music at all I was unsure why you mentioned it. Do you mean that the guitar alone in country music is like uki? Because if so, I still wont listen to it because I don't like the rest of the sounds.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.08.25 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 15334)
But as for punk music, is My Chemical Romance considered punk?

:lol::lol::waa::lol::lol::waa::lol::lol:
No, not in any sense of the word.

HEDOfloe 2007.08.25 05:17 PM

well, they don't just use three strings, but there is a lot of playing the same notes with the guitar in several parts of their songs so thats why I thought it could be called punk.