Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Polls (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   What's your favorite Tokyo Jihen Single? (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=352)

HEDOfloe 2007.07.22 02:34 PM

What's your favorite Tokyo Jihen Single?

I don't know how many people are like me, but sometimes when I get on the computer for just a short time, or I want to listen to music for a little bit I will just play a single, since they are nice, little packages.

Although I love OSCA so much, I would say that my favorite is Shuraba. The single version is alot wackier and seems more fun than the album version, not that I don't love that one. Then koi wa maboroshi comes up, which is just as fun, and then it all ends nicely with Rakujitsu. Although at first I thought that the way rakujitsu ended, with that live cut, was kind of out of place, but the more I heard it I began to like it more and it seemed to become more of a part of the song than when I first heard it. Looking at it now it seems like a nice touch to the song.

Oh and I think Sounan is the best songs of the singles, and I really love Dynamite but this single is alot louder and I'm not always in the mood for it (although if I play it, I will never skip it :D). So I feel that, for me, shuraba has just the right mix of fast pace and laid-back style that suits more moods.

So which would be your favorite?

Glathannus 2007.07.22 03:03 PM

There's no Tokyo Jihen single that's as well-rounded as Mayonaka wa Junketsu or Koufukuron (re-release), so it's a tough choice.

I reluctantly choose Sounan, because it's a great (although overplayable) A-Side, and because Kokoro is my favorite Tokyo Jihen B-Side. Dynamite (the studio version) is average, but certainly more tolerable than Lady Is A Tramp. I like the overall sound of the Shuraba single, but it loses a few points for not including any originals for B-Sides.

I'm not saying I hate covers, but I prefer that each single include at least one original among the B-Sides. The Tokyo Jihen covers in their B-Side form, never reach my evolving favorites list, but sometimes the concert versions do.

Mayonaka wa Junketsu succeeds where the Tokyo Jihen B-Side covers fail (especially Phase 1):
Ringo covered herself.

HEDOfloe 2007.07.22 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 12979)
There's no Tokyo Jihen single that's as well-rounded as Mayonaka wa Junketsu or Koufukuron (re-release), so it's a tough choice.

I reluctantly choose Sounan, because it's a great (although overplayable) A-Side, and because Kokoro is my favorite Tokyo Jihen B-Side. Dynamite (the studio version) is average, but certainly more tolerable than Lady Is A Tramp. I like the overall sound of the Shuraba single, but it loses a few points for not including any originals for B-Sides.

I'm not saying I hate covers, but I prefer that each single include at least one original among the B-Sides. The Tokyo Jihen covers in their B-Side form, never reach my evolving favorites list, but sometimes the concert versions do.

Mayonaka wa Junketsu succeeds where the Tokyo Jihen B-Side covers fail (especially Phase 1):
Ringo covered herself.

Well thats why I left out SR and just left it as TJ because the styles of the singles vary (tj usually has a cover) :D. But what about the b-sides on shuraba not being original? Is Rakujitsu a cover?

Feel_My_Mind 2007.07.22 03:37 PM

I've choosed Gunjou Biyori i like the rythme of Gunjo Biyori, The lady is a tramp is so amazing, i like the lyrics, and what about kao well there something really strong in this song, can't explain a big part it's because it is a feat. and again, there's something with the lyrics!

I like dynamite, but i like Koi wa Maboroshi (GET IT UP FOR LOVE) but i think Gunjou Biyori was th right choice :)))

Tokyo Jihad 2007.07.22 05:02 PM

I voted Sounan. Its arguable whether its the best of the A-sides. I'd edge at worst just behind Gunjo (if not the best.)

I think it has the best set of B-sides (well, maybe Osca has better.) Kokoro is snazz-tastic, and of the covers Dynamite i think is the best (Get it up for Love is neat, but meh. And then forget about Tramp =P)

So overall is definitely Sounan.

HEDOfloe 2007.07.22 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 12991)
I voted Sounan. Its arguable whether its the best of the A-sides. I'd edge at worst just behind Gunjo (if not the best.)

I think it has the best set of B-sides (well, maybe Osca has better.) Kokoro is snazz-tastic, and of the covers Dynamite i think is the best (Get it up for Love is neat, but meh. And then forget about Tramp =P)

So overall is definitely Sounan.

If you have to forget about a track on the single, don't you think that would not make it the overall best, since its only 3 tracks?

justriiingo 2007.07.22 05:47 PM

The one that contains Sounan, Kokoro and Kurumaya-san. :P

HEDOfloe 2007.07.22 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 13000)
The one that contains Sounan, Kokoro and Kurumaya-san. :P

I've never heard of that one. Was that a limited edition or something?

Glathannus 2007.07.22 06:06 PM

Actually, now that I think about it, I'd have to say that my official Toshiba-EMI Japan CD with:

Track #1: Superstar (Dynamite version)
Track #2: Toumei Ningen (Dynamite version)
Track #3: Sounan (Dynamite version)
Track #4: Yume no Ato (Dynamite version)

Well...
that basically trumps all other, ummm, 'singles'. Yeah.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.07.22 06:13 PM

Hah!
It does =(