Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   The Movie/Film Thread (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1404)

Inaudible-Whisper 2009.12.23 11:40 AM

I'd try and watch as little footage of the movie as possible beforehand to be honest. I'm glad I didn't watch that first vid before watching the movie, it had too many spoilers (not necessarily story-wise, but great shots that I didn't expect that were stunning in the movie like waking up in zero-g). The motion capture vid isn't so bad; it really shows off the tech with only snippets of footage, and the Cameron interview is fine too.

HEDOfloe 2009.12.23 09:32 PM

golem, that feature did not help me at all. i was beginning to resign to watch it and then it showed me everything that made me not want to watch it all over again. first, what the guy describes that movie as: not just scifi, but action adventure, and fantasy. fantasy is broad, but i usually hate sci-fi, and action adventure in movies is generally lame. i think the only action movies i really liked off my head are old boy though it wasn't exactly and action flick, and tarantino's movies with action in them.
then there's that general/lieutenant's speech that is in every single movie with an army official: "you are not home, you are in this fucked up dangerous place now." the idea of an avatar is lame to me, it's this modern thing with exploring people being someone else that's come up through the internet and i believe there was a movie with that same idea already that had people going into the minds and bodies of prisoners and controlling them. the title itself is lame, it's so blunt and blech to me.
those things may seem picky, but it's really the story that gets to me. i think a movie is nothing if the story isn't good and i can't get over the idea that i can probably predict most of it, even that feature pretty much outlined the whole movie in 3 minutes while the actual thing goes on for 3 hours! the visuals may be impressive but only technically, they're actual aesthetic design is not particularly pleasing to me. i don't doubt all the time that went in to make it, though.

but, if it is as whisper said and they extended it, i'll clear my mind of all this and try to go see it in a couple of weeks. i have another friend who was critical of it (though i don't know for what reasons) who i might go with.

oh, also, about trailers, golem, they're rarely ever any good because they have to market to everyone in one go. even good movies i like, i feel they are misrepresented by the trailer more often than not.

kuro_neko 2009.12.23 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper (Post 65925)
I'd try and watch as little footage of the movie as possible beforehand to be honest. I'm glad I didn't watch that first vid before watching the movie, it had too many spoilers (not necessarily story-wise, but great shots that I didn't expect that were stunning in the movie like waking up in zero-g). The motion capture vid isn't so bad; it really shows off the tech with only snippets of footage, and the Cameron interview is fine too.

agreed, the less you know when you go in the better I think.

its certainly impressive but he didn't promote the heck out of the movie's amazing technology because it truly stands on its own. its cool to know how he did it and how revolutionary it is, but what is even more impressive is the final product on its own. when I was in art school they would talk about how there is no one way to view a piece of art and how the artist shouldn't have to explain their work, it should speak on its own. you give birth to this piece and its left to stand on its on merit in the world and people can take away what they want, but in hedo's defence, if I had this many people telling me I should see the movie I would probably resist too. Fortunately I stumbled into on my own and with relatively little exposure.

HEDOfloe 2009.12.24 06:56 AM

well, you know, if i didn't have people here telling me to watch it, i'd really never see it. the only other people that have told me to watch it are my brother and a couple of his friends but they like a whole lotta movies that i couldn't care for. so thanks guys =).

cjhobbies00 2009.12.24 07:34 AM

Don't we already have a film thread (or something similar...)?

Four pages of Avatar talk. I'm not particularly excited about the premise and I missed out on all the hype. Dunno if I'll ever get a chance to catch it in 3D before the run ends.

frecklegirl 2009.12.24 07:38 AM

I closed the similar threads so we could start over with this one and the TV one. The "Our favorite movies" thread was always a little confusing as to whether current movies could be discussed there or just people's favorite movies. After this thread and the TV one have gotten more established I might reopen/restart "Currently Watching" but have it dedicated only to what you're watching on Youtube, concert DVDs/music videos, etc.

This thread isn't just for Avatar of course but that discussion has kinda taken over lately (it did the same in the old Currently Watching thread).

Inaudible-Whisper 2009.12.24 08:16 AM

Yeah, I think this thread title makes more sense. I'd often not know which movie thread to post in. If I'm looking forward to a movie I'm not "currently watching" it and it isn't my "fav. movie" (yet) so it's best to have just a flat out movie thread. And keeping the TV totally separate is good too.

Avatar is the biggest movie release of the year though, so it's no shock that it's taking up a great bulk of the discussion as of recent. Should have really had an Avatar thread but it'll probably die down now that most people have chipped in.

golem09 2009.12.24 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 65930)
golem, that feature did not help me at all. i was beginning to resign to watch it and then it showed me everything that made me not want to watch it all over again. first, what the guy describes that movie as: not just scifi, but action adventure, and fantasy. fantasy is broad, but i usually hate sci-fi, and action adventure in movies is generally lame. i think the only action movies i really liked off my head are old boy though it wasn't exactly and action flick, and tarantino's movies with action in them.
then there's that general/lieutenant's speech that is in every single movie with an army official: "you are not home, you are in this fucked up dangerous place now." the idea of an avatar is lame to me, it's this modern thing with exploring people being someone else that's come up through the internet and i believe there was a movie with that same idea already that had people going into the minds and bodies of prisoners and controlling them. the title itself is lame, it's so blunt and blech to me.
those things may seem picky, but it's really the story that gets to me. i think a movie is nothing if the story isn't good and i can't get over the idea that i can probably predict most of it, even that feature pretty much outlined the whole movie in 3 minutes while the actual thing goes on for 3 hours! the visuals may be impressive but only technically, they're actual aesthetic design is not particularly pleasing to me. i don't doubt all the time that went in to make it, though.

but, if it is as whisper said and they extended it, i'll clear my mind of all this and try to go see it in a couple of weeks. i have another friend who was critical of it (though i don't know for what reasons) who i might go with.

oh, also, about trailers, golem, they're rarely ever any good because they have to market to everyone in one go. even good movies i like, i feel they are misrepresented by the trailer more often than not.

Movies don't tell a story just by the characters and the surprising or not surprising ending. I mean just looking at it you can tell that the protagonist is going to root for the indigenous people and they will defeat the humans. Every single viewer was able to predict that. But all this is so PERFECTLY pulled off, and I don't just mean through CG, but through the script, the perfect pacing and cinematography. Cameron know exactly how to play with your emotions and when it comes down to the action, you are so immersed in what's going on, that you forget all the bad lines and the clicheed characters.
And I don' think you can really judge the design from what you have seen so far.

kuro_neko 2009.12.24 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper (Post 65945)
Yeah, I think this thread title makes more sense. I'd often not know which movie thread to post in. If I'm looking forward to a movie I'm not "currently watching" it and it isn't my "fav. movie" (yet) so it's best to have just a flat out movie thread. And keeping the TV totally separate is good too.

Avatar is the biggest movie release of the year though, so it's no shock that it's taking up a great bulk of the discussion as of recent. Should have really had an Avatar thread but it'll probably die down now that most people have chipped in.

yeah and its only going to get worse as its a word-of-mouth movie and as more people are going to see it they are coming out, telling their friends, and saying they will go again, which means it will only continue to make money, and with the critics loving it and the oscars best picture category open to up to 10 movies this year, expect it to be on the plate through Oscar season too. you might as well see it if you are annoyed hearing about it to see what the fuss is about and get over with it, hah.

golem09 2009.12.24 10:25 AM

If it wasn't for the time and money, I would watch Avatar every evening, lol.
I hope I can convince my best friend to go on wednesday again. Or my parents, or maybe another friend of mine. I'm still more fascinated by it than I have been with a single movie in a VERY long time.
I just keep listening to the soundtrack and searching for videos of it on youtube.