Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Tutorials (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Giving Rep to Someone (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=771)

ShinjiPG 2008.07.20 03:37 AM

Giving Rep to Someone

For some reason, I can't add rep to anyone.
It always says something like "You have to spread Rep before giving it to [username] again."
How does the Rep system works, anyway?

justriiingo 2008.07.20 04:54 AM

It's probably to prevent users from abusing the rep power.
You will need to rep maybe 10 other people first before you can rep the same guy again.

Not that it really matters though.

ShinjiPG 2008.07.20 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 32291)
You will need to rep maybe 10 other people first before you can rep the same guy again.

But I tried "Repping" 3 different people... And it's always the same. I don't remember if I repped them before, anyway.
Even if the rep system is not something *that* important, I don't want to randomly rep someone just to be able to do it to someone I really want to rep :S

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.07.20 05:36 AM

You must have repped them before if it's telling you to spread your rep. As justriiingo said, you must give rep to a different bunch of people before giving it to the same person again. Those 3 people you're trying to rep must be 3 people you've repped in your last, say, 10-20 reps.

ShinjiPG 2008.07.20 05:56 AM

I see then.
Well, I managed to rep JR, so that means my repping function isn't disabled x)
It's too bad tho, because there are some people who provide great help many times and to whom I feel the need to rep... alas I can't.
Well, thanks for the info!

Ringo~Bingo 2008.07.20 05:57 AM

you should rep me to make sure it's working:lol:

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.07.20 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShinjiPG (Post 32294)
I see then.
Well, I managed to rep JR, so that means my repping function isn't disabled x)
It's too bad tho, because there are some people who provide great help many times and to whom I feel the need to rep... alas I can't.

Yeah, I think this is the best way to keep the whole thing balanced and fair though. If you are constantly providing help or doing/saying something rep worthy, you should get rep from a lot of different people, rather than somebody getting lot's of rep from one or two people due to favouritism or something.

Tokyo Jihad 2008.07.20 08:03 AM

yeah, I always get rep-blocked with certain posters (the people in this thread). But it's just a minor nuisance built so people don't just abuse the system.

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.19 07:39 PM

I noticed that my rep went down from "Medal Worthy" to "Asset" was I penalised for something (double posts ect) or was it a case of too many people approaching the current highest limits, and a resizing of the grades were needed ? :)

(I personally think I should be ranked as 'Forum Commander') :lol:

cjhobbies00 2008.08.19 09:19 PM

I've never been able to give out reputation, i've tried a few times but it always told me to "spread" around reputation. How the hell do i spread my seed if you won't even let me break the cherry?

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.20 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yay!! I'm back to the Bronze medal position!!! :lol:

TeslaGuy 2008.08.22 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (Post 35358)
I noticed that my rep went down from "Medal Worthy" to "Asset" was I penalised for something (double posts ect) or was it a case of too many people approaching the current highest limits, and a resizing of the grades were needed ? :)

(I personally think I should be ranked as 'Forum Commander') :lol:

I got downgraded as well. I was so proud to be labeled an asset. I actually cared. It's so lame that these things affect me emotionally. My girlfriend will give me a sweet kiss but just not care. (Memo to self: never feel at TJF...Answer - I'll try, but I would never wish to never feel)

Maou 2008.08.22 04:53 PM

I didn't even notice this stuff until you guys started talking about it.

Lena-chan 2008.08.23 07:50 AM

says the guy with teh big seven XD

Maou 2008.08.25 03:51 PM

lol How'd that happen? Nobody ever reps me other than you know who) unless I supply them with something. I want to stop that though since I feel dirty buying my love.

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.26 08:47 AM

I always wondered about the rep system in this way..
if Maou was to rep me would I get 7 points cause that's his rep or 5 points if Lena repped me cause that's her's or is it just the same regardless ? I ask this because if it is the case then do the higher ups in the rep scale have to be more wary of repping in case they gave a new guy like 14 rep points if only 2 repped the guy ?

Inaudible-Whisper 2008.08.26 08:56 AM

I don't know exactly how the numbers and the titles are given. It must be a mixture of positive and negative rep and spreading rep? If you click on the decending reputation list, it does not give an accurate representation of "who has the most", as far as I can tell. It fluctuates too much aside from the top 3. As far as I can work it out, and I'm sure Glath can explain perfectly, it may be based on reputation consistency or a recent influx of rep and how much you have gave in return recently.

For example, Bongo is a prominent new member who has garnered a lot of posts in a short amount of time allowing him to quickly open himself to getting a lot of rep because everybody can give him it once without any "Spread your rep" message. This does not mean Bongo has all of a sudden got more rep than everybody below his name in total which would be an insane feat, merely that as of recent he has got a lot more than everybody but the 3 above him. Glath, paris and Emil I'd imagine get rep constantly off everybody for the sheer amount of universal help they provide and they tend to -- and deservedly so -- stay at the top; whereas people like Bongo, Jihad and myself likely hit rep drought's every so often when fellow members can no longer rep due to having to spread it and the names yo-yo up and down.

But that is irrelevant; don't look at it like a league table, because you don't know exactly what you're looking at. It isn't a popularity contest. I'm just trying to understand what the numbers and titles mean in terms of how they are attributed. How can somebody have a 7 and be an "asset to the community" and somebody else be a 4 and "deserve a fucking medal". Does the "asset" lag behind in title because s/he has negative but the number is high because of the amount of positive? Or have they simply not been rep'ing enough themselves lately so they've been demoted? I'm sure Glath can clear it up. Unless he wants to keep the inner workings of the system a secret :p

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.26 09:01 AM

I'm not bothered about where I am in the league! just how higher numbers have less rating and how it all worked! as I initially said I was curious about the big rep members being wary with their love!

your right about the big three! I just repped Paris!!

Glathannus 2008.08.26 02:07 PM

"Reputation" and "Rep Power" are two different things. Your Reputation is supposed to be a reflection of the respect or appreciation that people have toward your specific post(s). Your Rep Power is the amount of influence you can have on other peoples' Reputation. Rep Power is based on various factors like how long you've been a member, how active you've been, and how well-respected you are.

It's quite possible to have the most Rep Power without necessarily having the most Reputation, as Maou has proven by being a combination of one of the oldest and one of the most active members, in addition to fairly well-respected. Some people may edge Maou out on one factor or another, but currently no single person beats him on all three factors combined. That's how he can be a "Rep Power: 7" user ranked underneath another user such as Ringo~Bingo with "Rep Power: 4".

For quite awhile I was tied with pariscombo on second-highest Reputation, and EmilScherbe was slightly ahead of us. But recently several people with a lot of Rep Power approved a couple of my latest posts. Some non-native English speakers might take comfort in speculating that my Reputation is the highest because "this community is biassed toward native English speakers", but the fact is I've been more active lately than both of those other "Top Three" folks combined. If there were enough new posts coming from each of us "Top Three", we'd probably all be gaining Reputation at around the same rate (observers would find something new they like from each of us), and EmilScherbe would have stayed ahead of me. I didn't ever expect to pass him.

If Ringo~Bingo keeps up his current behavior of being extremely active, and trying to please everyone to the degree that he's practically begging for Reputation, it's possible that he could eventually overtake me on Reputation, and Maou on Rep Power. So far Ringo~Bingo really has gained a lot of Reputation in a very short amount of time, and I'm not one to dispute whether or not he deserves to be ranked where he is, because I believe in the self-policing and dynamic nature of the system, even if there is a lot more Reputation I could be gaining if people didn't have to "spread it around". Once again this community is not intended to be The Official Glathannus Fanclub. Show everyone else the respect they earned too. I'm not saying everyone deserves respect - I'm just saying a lot more people have it due, than the amount who are actually acknowledged.

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.26 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 36298)
If Ringo~Bingo keeps up his current behavior of being extremely active, and trying to please everyone to the degree that he's practically begging

:o ugh! what a cheap shot!! I admit wanting to help everyone but wether or not I'm repped is not the driving factor!! I'm quick to help everyone out when I'm able to!! so that should I need something in the future, I'm not feeling like I'm taking without validity!! like if I asked a person for music or a file and I'd did nothing for that user in the past I'd feel like a disgusting leech!! I already feel that way towards yourself!! all the tech help! yet I've near nothing to compensate (which annoys me)
so rather than "begging for rep" I'm just.. and this may shock you!! a nice guy!!!! :)

(this post should be repped.. don't make me beg Glath)

Glathannus 2008.08.26 09:28 PM

I already rep'd you a couple days ago. You want me to go speed-rep roughly a dozen people so I can rep you just for that post, when you've already made other posts that are more... rep-worthy? My remark wasn't intended as a cheap shot. It has some very deep social undertones.

I understand you aren't going so far as to have a signature that says "come on, you know you wanna rep this", but I have to wonder how much less Reputation you'd have at this time, if you hadn't asked for suggested it a couple times already. It's not to say that every post you make is in the pursuit of Reputation increase, but previously nobody has been as upfront as you, about feeling there's at least a couple of times where they really deserve it. I'm not saying you shouldn't have as much Reputation as you've gathered thus far, but what I'm saying is I think there are other people who possibly deserve around the same amount, who aren't getting it because they aren't tacking the suggestion to rep them, on their own rep-worthy post.

I view it kind of like a waiter explicitly 'reminding' you to tip them. You can replace that quoted word with whatever you want, but no matter how you package the motive, you're still bringing up the subject, and doing so is one of those taboos most people don't warn each other about, because most people instinctively know not to try it. You have to view tips/approvals as a statistic and accept the natural behavior that some people do not have the initiative or concern to acknowledge your contribution, yet a minority or a majority of generous people will chip in enough collectively, that the average you get per person (this average includes the people who chip in nothing) should be 'enough'. I would regard donations the same way, because 'reminders' to people who have never donated, are, well... a borderline nuisance that wreaks of desperation, but non-compounded reminders to existing/previous donors, are a lot nicer than auto-deposits. *shuts up*

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.26 09:34 PM

I only jokingly asked for rep in the scans thread as 'tongue in cheek' the stars around it should alert you to that fact but nevertheless it seems to have been took the other way ? beyond that I don't think I've ever asked for rep at all ?
(please don't dig out a post and quote me) anyways I meant no offence in it and can see that it comes across as a little 'upfront' if I have done it ? well I'll be less vulgar in the future!! :)

Glathannus 2008.08.26 10:28 PM

Ringo Jihen had a lot more activity from non-native English speakers than Electric Mole. But as the years have passed by, the native English speakers have become more comfortable with various levels of sarcasm (at least within the atmosphere of our collective fanbase), and many of them can take it and dish it out. You might say our community embodies "Pleasure spiked with pain", but it's like building up a tolerance to poison, and when a new member shows up, they are offered the same 150-proof mugs of it that have been passed around to everyone else.

Anyway, all I'm saying here is, be very mindful of when and how you use sarcasm around here. I'm certainly not saying to never use it, but always try to contemplate the worst that someone might conclude from your remark, if they didn't completely understand it. Sarcasm and hyperbole seem to be the #1 thing that alienates non-native English speakers from becoming/remaining active posters, because it permeates far beyond the Off-Topic boards, and even if non-native English speakers figure that it must be happening to at least some degree, they don't necessarily know the full extent of it, or get a more genuine sense of our social atmosphere. Even some native English speakers are having problems embracing the way we've already 'evolved'. I would like to dismiss it as "That's their problem and we never needed them anyway", but that's looking at no more than half the truth.

Ringo~Bingo 2008.08.26 10:35 PM

*Repped* :wakka:

Kasanagi 2008.09.01 02:47 PM

...OK, I haven't been posting for eons, and the last time I check I had something like 8-10 rep points (not rep power), and right now I drop by coz' my boss isn't here...and I've got 17 points ( 0_o) ...

Could it be a bug where whom ever repped me has had an increase in their rep points, and the reputation they gave out actually scales?

(ignore me if that's how its intended)

ShinjiPG 2008.09.01 03:59 PM

All I see is people with less posts than me and with higher Rep Power.
Anywho, I still want those -1!

Ringo~Bingo 2008.09.01 04:01 PM

I'll neg rep you Shinji! it'll be my pleasure :P

(I won't really)

ShinjiPG 2008.09.01 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ringo~Bingo (Post 37044)
I'll neg rep you Shinji! it'll be my pleasure :P

(I won't really)

Please do ;_;

Glathannus 2008.09.01 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasanagi (Post 37038)
...OK, I haven't been posting for eons, and the last time I check I had something like 8-10 rep points (not rep power), and right now I drop by coz' my boss isn't here...and I've got 17 points ( 0_o) ...

Could it be a bug where whom ever repped me has had an increase in their rep points, and the reputation they gave out actually scales?

(ignore me if that's how its intended)

The more Rep Power someone has (this is separate from their Reputation points), the more they boost your points from an approval, compared to someone else with less Rep Power. It's not a bug - that's the intended nature of vBulletin, though admins of different vBulletin communities will usually customize it a little and make the scaling more or less... pronounced, based on the membercount and traffic of the specific community.

Kasanagi 2008.09.01 08:54 PM

^ Let me clarify, the rep 8-10ish rep points I had was back in the days when people had 0-1 rep points. so either:
- the rep power to rep points scaling happens post-approval, Or,
- random people decide to rep a guy that hasn't been posting for nearly half a year...

Not that I'm complaining of course :P.