Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Polls (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Muzai Moratorium vs. ...demos (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2165)

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.11 08:37 PM

Muzai Moratorium vs. ...demos

I've been binge-listening to all things Shiina for the first time in like two years. Two things I forgot:

- How much I dislike MM
- How much I love her demos

The singles are middle ground so I'll leave them out of this.

So. At the drop of a hat, which would you rather listen to?

deadgrandma 2015.04.11 10:07 PM

Who the hell dislikes MM.....

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.11 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94260)

I'm half-kidding :P

But I'm fully serious that I prefer the demos for early Shiina, though. Like, the things I can praise MM for I can praise the demos even more for. MM is earnest and raw; the demos are even more earnest and even more raw. Also, like Kyouiku with Dynamite, I listen to most of the tracks and can't help but think "she trumped this live" (less because of the production as with Kyouiku, but same idea). The demos are far enough removed from her career that I don't face that problem. Ditto for the 21st century stuff; SS is an immaculate production and KSK is an island unto itself.

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.11 10:35 PM

Also.

Has so avid a Sunny hater as yourself listened to the Kudamono no Heya demo lately? ;)

TurtleFu 2015.04.12 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94260)

*ahem*

Inseu 2015.04.12 05:27 PM

Those who prefer the demos basically prefer underage Ringo.

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.12 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inseu (Post 94270)
Those who prefer the demos basically prefer underage Ringo.

:hmph:

In all seriousness I was hoping for at least one poor soul to agree with me. Eh, I'm alone on this one.

zeroryouko 2015.04.13 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Most Curious Thing (Post 94272)
:hmph:

In all seriousness I was hoping for at least one poor soul to agree with me. Eh, I'm alone on this one.

For me, with the demo tapes it's hard to separate the quality issues resulting from 128kbps encoding from the actual music/performance. But that said, I think it depends on which demo in particular we're talking about. I actually like the demo version of Koufukuron better than either the single or the MM version, largely because the lyrics are different (not that I can understand them all that well, but the meter is more interesting). New Way to Fly, I would argue, is also better than the MM version of Marunouchi Sadistic, but she has since far exceeded both of those in her live performances.

At risk of digressing, this reminds me of one of my favorite of Ringo's career episodes. Listen to the demo recording of Onaji Yoru. The tinny sound of the consumer-grade recording equipment - perhaps a karaoke machine? The instrumentation - beautifully composed, but cheaply synthesized. And of course, Ringo herself, singing her heart out but so very young. A high-school girl, maybe 16 or 17 years old, with so much raw talent and ambition.

Now skip ahead 5 or so years to the Gekokujou Xstasy concert, to the last song from the encore medley. It's Onaji Yoru again. This time she is performing for an audience of thousands. Professional sound engineers and cameramen are recording her. A full band, with string section, is backing her up. And Ringo herself, now much more mature, in full costume and make-up, with a more finely-honed, powerful, yet subtle voice, is front and center, putting every ounce of herself into the performance.

And as you listen, think back to the demo tape, and realize - it was all there. The orchestration, the presence, and the emotion were all evident, even in that old recording. Even as a schoolgirl, she envisioned this moment. The demo tape was just an imperfect reflection of her vision. And she was able to make it real.

hedgehog 2015.04.18 06:38 PM

All I like from MM is Kabukicho no Joou, Marunouchi Sadistic, and Onaji Yoru. I like way more songs in her demos but the demo versions of these 3 songs aren't nearly as good. So... I don't know. I might prefer the demos