Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Worst movie you have ever seen (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1648)

frecklegirl 2011.07.02 12:15 AM

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist.

Just read the book, then watched the movie. Both sucked; the movie was a terrible adaptation of the book, also. Scenes and lines spliced and pasted back in randomly. Ugh. I'm not sure why I thought I would like this.

Also watched The Secret Life of Bees recently. Loved the book. The movie was very meh. Dakota Fanning did not do a good job with the role, but it's very hard I think to act out a character who, in the book, lives so much in her head and has a lot of introspection to explain her actions and thoughts. You really need a narration in those cases and the movie did not employ one which I think was a mistake.

Also, I hate when movie adaptations of books add in new scenes that weren't in the book. The movie already isn't going to have enough room for all the scenes in the book, so why in the world would you cut original book scenes and then add in random new, useless movie scenes??? Harry Potter did this and it drove me CRAZY!!!!

s3r3nity 2011.07.02 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waxringo (Post 75846)
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

no offense to the late Heath Ledger
but this shit stank.
horribly.
we sat and stared at the screen and kept contemplating why we couldn't turn the tv off. i guess we really expected it to get better.

That movie...I don't even know. I watched it like a year ago and all I remember is really weird imagery and some cute red haired girl. I wouldn't say it was terrible but maybe that it made no sense at all and about halfway through you just give up and stare at the screen mindlessly, or fall asleep.

mizer_unmei 2011.07.02 07:05 AM

Aww~ I thought The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus was great. I looove Terry Gilliam, and it's such an improvement from Tideland. I loved the magical parts of it. And I loved that even though they had all these big name stars, Christopher Plummer was the real star in the movie. :wub:

TurtleFu 2011.07.02 08:44 AM

Yes! Absolutely, but I have to say I LOVED Tom Waits in the movie. He can play any Faustian devil anytime. I would totally bet my daughter to him!

karateexplosion 2011.07.02 09:03 PM

HOUSE (ハウス)
Old Japanese haunted house film, along the lines of Suspiria, but oh so much worse. That piano bit that plays near the end is pretty much the soundtrack for the whole movie. I mean, literally, that song plays through about 60-70% of the film. I'm serious.

Osiris12345 2011.07.03 12:29 AM

Worst movie I've ever seen was probably either Rise of the Scarecrows or the Shutter remake. Just thinking about that remake makes my skin crawl. At least Rise of the Scarecrows was hilarious.

Glathannus 2011.07.03 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 (Post 76357)
...the Shutter remake. Just thinking about that remake makes my skin crawl. At least Rise of the Scarecrows was hilarious.

I'd seen the original long before there was going to be any remake. Just the thought that there would even be ANY remake, made my skin crawl. I knew they would have to zindaficate it - WHOEVER was taking responsibility for the project.

Did that mean the remake was automatically going to be terrible?
No, but you'd HATE to see something that was fuckin' brilliant, being turned into something that was alright, and you'd hate to see any fans standing strong behind that. (see what I did there?)

kuro_neko 2011.07.03 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by karateexplosion (Post 76353)
HOUSE (ハウス)
Old Japanese haunted house film, along the lines of Suspiria, but oh so much worse. That piano bit that plays near the end is pretty much the soundtrack for the whole movie. I mean, literally, that song plays through about 60-70% of the film. I'm serious.

BLASPHEMY.

HOUSE is amazing. I own the Criterion Collection Bluray release. Not that I would blindly believe anything the CC releases is gold, but you can't seriously consider something they would pick as a potential "worst movie of all time." The entire thing is ridiculous and is supposed to be, beginning to end, its so ridiculously bad its actually good. I don't recall reused music to the point of it being obnoxious, but considering ti had a famous 70's popstar right the track, that doesn't surprise me.

I'd say the Haunted Mansion with Eddie Wilson. I remember they launched that together with Pirates back in the day, the first two Disney movie based on franchised park rides. Pirates soared while Mansion...well...it bombed with good reason. I can remember almost walking out of the theatre several times it was so bad.

The Most Curious Thing 2011.07.03 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 (Post 76357)
Worst movie I've ever seen was probably either Rise of the Scarecrows or the Shutter remake. Just thinking about that remake makes my skin crawl.

I didn't know there was a remake until you mentioned it. Went to Wikipedia and noticed that the poster tagline is "from executive producers of The Grudge and The Ring." How encouraging is that -_-

Quote:

Originally Posted by karateexplosion (Post 76353)
HOUSE (ハウス)

The only thing better than late 90s-early 00s Asian horror is 60s-70s Asian horror :D

karateexplosion 2011.07.03 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 76361)
BLASPHEMY.

HOUSE is amazing. I own the Criterion Collection Bluray release. Not that I would blindly believe anything the CC releases is gold, but you can't seriously consider something they would pick as a potential "worst movie of all time." The entire thing is ridiculous and is supposed to be, beginning to end, its so ridiculously bad its actually good. I don't recall reused music to the point of it being obnoxious, but considering ti had a famous 70's popstar right the track, that doesn't surprise me.

I'd say the Haunted Mansion with Eddie Wilson. I remember they launched that together with Pirates back in the day, the first two Disney movie based on franchised park rides. Pirates soared while Mansion...well...it bombed with good reason. I can remember almost walking out of the theatre several times it was so bad.

I think you mean Eddie Murphy? Yeah, it was pretty awful, but to be honest, I don't think Eddie Murphy's made a decent movie since the mid-'90s. On a related note, I believe Guillermo del Toro is supposed to be remaking Mansion at some point, if that's still in the works.

As far a House goes, I get it, that it's so bad it's good for a lot of people, but that movie far surpasses even that threshold for me. I was just left confused and completely unsatisfied. And I'm usually the type to enjoy terrible movies, along the lines of Mario Bros. Maybe it's just not for me, but I literally didn't even laugh once at the audacity of House. I just sat there with my brow furrowed.

And the piece I was talking about is the piano jingle/main theme here. Maybe not the majority of the movie, but definitely A LOT and mainly during the most inopportune times. It was often enough that it went from ironic to annoying pretty quick for me.