Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Music) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Your first time =Q (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=196)

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.07 12:15 PM

Your first time =Q

ITT we discuss the first album we ever bought and all that mess -- no matter how embarrassing it may seem today. If you're first album was Tiffany or some junk, thats just one of those things you gotta accept and dish to the ravenous forumbase.

I always hear stuff like "your first..." whatevers define your future whatevers, so I'm sorta interested to see where we started our musical fandoms that the road eventually led to Shiina Ringo.

Now, mine isn't embarrassing at all. In fact, it's one of those "wow, pretty impressive" So I was in 3rd grade, or 2nd, and for reasons I have a hard time explaining I became a monster Nirvana fan. So my first album was Nevermind -- what apparently is considered "THE" album of the decade. So anyone that questions whether I'm a true progeny of the 90's can end their deliberation there. Now, by the time I picked up Bleach and In Utero, Nirvana came to an end in that certain way. So it was pretty weird, and now that I think of it, me becoming a fan ALWAYS is the death knell for a band, it seems like after I become a fan, the act never is as great as they were before. So that's kinda depressing.

A year or so later I'd move on from Nirvana to The Beatles, and I was all Beatles all the time for years...and then those Spice Girls came and I walked into the mainstream again (luckily it was during when the mainstream still had some good left in it.).

I know it probably sounds like a lie that Nevermind was the first cd I bought, but it's true. And years later I'd be a fan of a japanese singer who totally ripped off one of their videos! ^_^ =P

EDIT: Fuck, i totally used the wrong "your" in the title ='(

freshevryday 2007.05.07 12:28 PM

This would be way more intresting if it was about the other "first time."
Anyways, I don't remember the first CD I bought, but the first band I became a major fan of was Rage Against the Machine. My first from Japan was Nakashima Mika.

MBF 2007.05.07 12:50 PM

Well... my first real album came pretty late... as a kid I just used to listen to samplers or/and radio and stuff like that... no very musical family background...
I can't remember, which one was the first real album I bought...

the first one from Japan should have been Hikki's Distance, though

PS: shouldn't it be "Your first time"....? o.o

Mr. Go-mahn 2007.05.07 01:20 PM

I spent most of my childhood hating music because my parents would either have the radio on pop or country. It wasn't until later I actually explored music. My first CD was Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Damn good CD, that.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.05.07 01:45 PM

My first album was the first Spice Girls album. I must have been about 10, so I'm not too ashamed to admit it. Strangely, as I continued to listen to mainstream pap, I also listened to my dads records... mostly the likes of Black, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes and the like. How many kids can claim to listen to 'War Pigs' and 'Say you'll be there' in the same day.

Quote:

So my first album was Nevermind -- what apparently is considered "THE" album of the decade.
After OK Computer :)

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.07 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper (Post 4208)
My first album was the first Spice Girls album. I must have been about 10, so I'm not too ashamed to admit it. Strangely, as I continued to listen to mainstream pap, I also listened to my dads records... mostly the likes of Black, Sabbath, Deep Purple, Yes and the like. How many kids can claim to listen to 'War Pigs' and 'Say you'll be there' in the same day.

After OK Computer :)

I'm just saying what critics say, and really, I think Nevermind is a little more influential than Ok Computer =P I'd probly put OK higher on my list just cuz, oddly enough, I seem to equate Nirvana as "kid's music" so I need to work that brainwashing off. :lol:

And the first Spice Girls album got me out of a Beatle-centric lifestyle, thanks to them I started watching the music channels and the radio (sorta) just to hawk for Spice Girl sightings, and along the way I picked up other good bands at the time like Oasis and Cardigans. Tho, I havent listened to the Spice Girls in years 2 become 1 is still one of my fav songs, but they were british, so take that one back to my "country" thread. :lol:

HEDOfloe 2007.05.07 02:06 PM

The first cd I bought was when I was in like 4th grade (i think) and it was a Simpsons soundtrack. I didnt really have any favorite musicians at that time so I just bought it because I liked the cover :) Didnt really translate directly into Ringo :D although I was constantly exposed to the beatles on every car ride if thats anything.

cjhobbies00 2007.05.07 02:07 PM

who didn't love the spice girls back then? I deleted them from my ipod a month ago though, cause I just never had the desire to listen to them again. the feelings just aren't there anymore

justriiingo 2007.05.07 03:08 PM

My first Spice Girls album was a cassette... I bought tonnes of Britpop crap following that. I think I'm gonna throw them out soon, it's taking up too much space at home.

First Japanese CD I bought was Luna Sea's Style. It cost a bomb, like $68 when other cds cost around $22 (HMV ripped me off). I was poor for the rest of the month, but it was totally worth it.

First SR album I bought was KZK.

Nimh 2007.05.07 03:29 PM

80s music.

All

the

way.

I don't think I even turned on a radio in the 90s unless it was an 80s "retro pop reunion."

And today? Don't make me laugh.

The 80s man. Frickin 80s.