Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Product Reviews & Information (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [TJ] 2004.11.25 - Kyouiku (CD) [Album] (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=24)

Maou 2008.03.19 06:28 AM

^ Yes, I agree that Kyouiku is their best album. Sounan and Yume no Ato cement that for me.

I love Fender guitars. I'm thinking of switching to a Jaguar for my main single coil guitar and turning my Strat into a Maiden-like metal machine. At the very least, I'm going to put a P90/P100 in the Strat bridge. If it works for Sugizo, it works for me.

Cosmo! 2008.03.19 10:22 AM

I cheat when it comes to matters of the Education. I sneak in Dynamite after Sounan and replace Yume no Ato with Kokoro. Kokoro is my absolute favorite Tokyo Jihen song from either phase, Dynamite is just a fun song that works really well cushioned between Sounan and Crawl, and the Heisei Fuuzoku version of Yume no Ato blows this version out of the water, so I don't feel bad about scrapping it.

I find myself falling in love with Education all over again. I just love the sloppy/hectic production/playing and wonder how Variety might've sounded through this filter. There seems to be a calculated precision to Variety that just doesn't work with this band; they need to be loud and messy and not so hamfisted as Jihad Jihen would type.

Maou 2008.03.19 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cosmo! (Post 26423)
and the Heisei Fuuzoku version of Yume no Ato blows this version out of the water, so I don't feel bad about scrapping it.

I strongly disagree because of two things:

- The missing "humming" bass part. It was even missing in the Phase 2 version.
- The weak ending in the HF version. The Kyouiku version has a hectic, desperate ending that conveys the song's mood better than the generic HF broadway ending.

Cosmo! 2008.03.19 10:37 AM

I totally get why you'd prefer this version to HF's. I just think there's a clarity to the newer version (especially with the piano) and Ringo's voice is more emotive, especially when she gets to wailing like a nervous banshee. That right there is the stuff of wet dreams for me.

old.boy 2008.03.19 11:08 PM

@Maou
Haha. If it works for SUGIZO? Lol, I'm a bit of a SUGIZO huge-mega-ultra-diehard fan. Or at least I used to be. He's disappointing me lately. My fandom went far enough to get one of his S-I guitars and his autograph and a bunch of his jewelry. *sigh*

@Cosmo!
You know, I think you put it best. Variety kind of threw me off due to it's production. It really is a lot more polished than what came before. That's part of the reason I didn't really like it. Don't get me wrong, it's not TERRIBLE. I listen to some of the songs, but it wasn't a very important release for me.

Maou 2008.03.20 05:13 AM

^ Haha, yeah. My Strat has a hybrid of his old pickups. I have a Seymour Duncan Antiquity in the bridge and SD Antiquity II Surfers in the mid/neck. Sugizo's VIII model guitars have an SD SP90 in the bridge so that's what I'm going to use. I'm also planning on purchasing an S-III (with sustainer) when I'm in Japan for school.

old.boy 2008.03.20 03:37 PM

Lol...getting off topic, so I figure I'll just PM you. :]

Maou 2008.03.26 05:30 PM

I'm not completely clear on this, but the singles had a different recording/mix than the album, right? I was listening to the Sounan single for the first time in forever and it didn't sound as bad as I remember Kyouiku sounding.

milk 2008.04.02 09:03 AM

Holy crap

Now I understand why people say this album's sound quality is utter crap...

I just loaded up a couple of the tracks in a sound editor and each song appears as almost a complete rectangular block instead of the waveform that it is supposed to look like...

It is just too insanely loud...everything is clipped to hell... :L
Was it truly meant to be this way??

Maou> I think it is just because you've not been listening to Sounan for a long time. I loaded both Sounan album and single versions and they both look like rectangular blocks...

Cosmo! 2008.04.02 10:22 AM

Ringo and Kameda know a thing or two about recording/production, so it's safe to assume that it was intentional. I think the songs were compressed to within an inch of their lives to give off that amateur/homegrown/garage band vibe, although that can cause a headache if consumed in big doses.

I think this might have something to do with the loudness war that has Bobby Zimmerman all verklempt.