Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Hata's drum set up..? (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1512)

deflaco 2010.09.10 08:42 AM

Hata's drum set up..?

Does anyone know what Toshiki Hata's drum set up is? He's able to get some pretty killer tones outta that kit. From what I've seen, his cymbals range from paiste to zildjian to sabian...anyone have any specs?

ShadyNook 2010.09.10 09:40 AM

possibly a custom Negi drumset?

edit: nope, he uses a Sonor!

HappySlyme 2010.10.09 09:08 PM

yep, he's got a sonor as detailed in this magazine scan. he seems to favour remo heads as well and a gretsch secondary snare.

i can also make out that he has a paiste crash, 20" ride, something by sabian

on a side note, he also seems to be left handed in that he doesn't cross his right hand over the hi-hat. it looks so much cooler and i imagine it might be faster too for travelling around the kit.

ecogazoo 2010.10.09 09:49 PM

I remember reading somewhere... don't remember where... that Hata is right-handed but plays hi hat left handed... because it makes it easier to get around the kit.

The reason it stuck with me is because I know two drummers who have been doing the same thing for more than 25 years. They have told me it's fairly standard practice among old school jazz drummers.

Maou 2010.10.10 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ecogazoo (Post 70815)
I remember reading somewhere... don't remember where... that Hata is right-handed but plays hi hat left handed... because it makes it easier to get around the kit.

The reason it stuck with me is because I know two drummers who have been doing the same thing for more than 25 years. They have told me it's fairly standard practice among old school jazz drummers.

I'm not a drummer, but I play open handed whenever I get behind a kit. It just feels more natural to me. It seemed like an alien concept and more clumsy to cross my hands to play the hi-hat.

It's actually fairly common to see drummers in metal bands play open handed as well.

HappySlyme 2010.10.11 05:19 AM

interesting, i never knew open handed was that common. must take a lot of strength and speed building with the left hand usually being the weaker one. then again i haven't played drums in a long time. i'm trumpeting in the gypsy folk band i play in.

toot!

SakeIt2Me 2010.10.11 08:41 AM

That's funny, I was just talking to a guy who teaches drums (a friend of mine is learning). According to him, teachers are trying to teach all new students to play open-handed, since otherwise drummers end up having to un-learn the cross-handed approach later on.

deflaco 2010.10.12 05:41 AM

man ive been drumming for some time and watching his technique is incredible, thanks for the magazine rip, that looks awesome!

deflaco 2011.01.20 05:49 PM

is anyone able to tell what china crash he uses? its a ziljdian 20'..something.