Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Music) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   GO!GO!7188 (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=496)

kuro_neko 2007.11.06 04:19 PM

GO!GO!7188

So I think I have fallen into this massive trap. I've had Ten no Mikaku for a few months now and I've only been putting off the inevitable....so where do I even START with them? 9 albums since 2000...oiiiii they make Ringo look so damn slow XD

anyone want to catch me up? I have no idea where to start...

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.11.06 05:29 PM

I'd start with Gyotaku and their new album 569. Having said that, I only have 4 of their albums. I was told to start at Gyotaku, which I was quite happy to do. Excellent album. And 569 is also very good, and a natural purchase being their latest release.

Glathannus 2007.11.06 06:09 PM

GO!GO!7188 isn't a 'related' artist, but I'm more of a watchdog than actual enforcement, so this thread will stay until if/when somebody else feels like moving it.

But back on-topic.

I suspect most of the fans would tell you to start with the first album, and not necessarily because you should do this for all artists, but because GO!GO!7188 really did come to a very good start (doesn't hurt that Jet Ninjin is possibly the most badass intro ever). Currently Tategami is the only album of theirs that I own, but I'm going to do something about this early next year. That's another album I'd recommend. I guess the question isn't what albums would people recommend, but rather, which albums wouldn't people recommend, because you'll get shorter answers that way. :P

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.11.06 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 20132)
GO!GO!7188 isn't a 'related' artist, but I'm more of a watchdog than actual enforcement, so this thread will stay until if/when somebody else feels like moving it.

But back on-topic.

I suspect most of the fans would tell you to start with the first album, and not necessarily because you should do this for all artists, but because GO!GO!7188 really did come to a very good start (doesn't hurt that Jet Ninjin is possibly the most badass intro ever). Currently Tategami is the only album of theirs that I own, but I'm going to do something about this early next year. That's another album I'd recommend. I guess the question isn't what albums would people recommend, but rather, which albums wouldn't people recommend, because you'll get shorter answers that way. :P

Well, the two albums you mentioned, that you recommend, I don't own. And the ones I do own I highly recommend. So, it looks like anything is a good choice.

I think GO!GO!7188 were the second Japanese artist I started researching after I got into Ringo and I found a site that reviewed their history as a band (Prior to PARADE), and recommended an album and a favourite which was Gyotaku. That's the first taste of GO!GO! I got, and I loved it. I don't think I can pick a favourite album though. They all offer something, but it's definitely the album I'd recommend to start with having heard what I have (Which doesn't include their first album, remember).

zarya 2007.11.06 07:43 PM

There may be 9 cds, but only 6 of them are "real" albums (2 live albums, 1 best of, 1 cover album.. wait, that makes 10!). Maybe the Best of can be a good starting point, and from what you like best on it you can then get into whichever album it came from (although you won't hear anything from the 2 latest studio albums on it)

I started with Tategami, because even though I really liked Jet Ninjin (from Dasoku Houkou), I fell in love with Ukifune. Then I went to Gyotaku, which is equally good in my opinion. I'm really having a hard time ranking their albums, except maybe for Parade, which definately sits at the bottom. Their cover album is also pretty fun (I like cover albums in general). If I had to put out a ranking, it'd go something like (10 being the one I like most):
10 Gyotaku
9.9 Tategami
9.5 Dasoku Houkou
8 Go!Rock (569, but it could still grow on me some more)
7.5 Ryuusetsuran
5 Parade

Kasanagi 2007.11.06 07:59 PM

Just a quick question, if I love Ukifune, should I expect more of its awesomeness in Tategami?

zarya 2007.11.06 08:06 PM

I think Ukifune is the best song out of Tategami, and the album is pretty diverse, but the rest is of almost equally good quality.

justriiingo 2007.11.06 09:07 PM

Dasokuhoukou! It's great.

baboo 2007.11.06 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasanagi (Post 20138)
Just a quick question, if I love Ukifune, should I expect more of its awesomeness in Tategami?

Yes, although Ukifune is the their best song ever, you still expect more awesome surprise in that ultra-versatile album.

My fav would be "Thunder Girl". The song kicks ass

EmilScherbe 2007.11.07 03:40 AM

Please move this thread to Off-Topic.