Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Associated Artists (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Susumu Nishikawa (guitar) (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1669)

justriiingo 2011.05.16 07:53 AM

Susumu Nishikawa (guitar)

This thread is about Susumu Nishikawa (西川 進), who was responsible for pretty much all the awesome guitar work during the MM and SS era.

Japanese wiki page

西川 進「ココロに麻酔」Studio Trip Ver. with DJ cool-k & VJ you

According to Maou, SR's guitar playing position is influenced by Nishikawa. Looking at the video, it seems like SR's HF era hairstyle could also be influenced by Nishikawa.

And something acoustic. Beautiful tune.
西川 進「君に笑顔が戻りますように」深夜の部

Maou 2011.05.16 08:25 AM

A few more Nishikawa/SR connections:

- SR changed her amplifier based on Nishikawa's suggestion.
- Nishikawa played all the lives with SR in 1999. He left to make way for SR's future husband. There is very noticeable difference between the two.
- Many of the musicians who worked with SR during MM/SS are or were members of Nishikawa's Smash Room School.

JUNK FUNK PUNK

JFP

The guy is just amazing. He's probably the most talented musician Shiina's ever worked with. Nishikawa can play pretty much any style and do so well. It's a shame SR ever let him get away.

Unfortunately, it appears much of Nishikwa's solo work is only available through the Smash Room shop. No idea if they ship internationally.

mizer_unmei 2011.05.16 11:02 AM

These videos are fantastic. And enlightening! I can totally hear a distinct difference with the guitar the main part of these songs. I love themm.

And I so so so want him to play acoustically like in JR's 2nd video as background for my life. :o

Maou 2011.05.16 11:24 AM

There's this one too:

Yuki no Furu Koutei de

jackmanca 2011.05.16 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 74342)

The guy is just amazing. He's probably the most talented musician Shiina's ever worked with.

I have to disagree and say that, even though I love Hata Toshiki, for me, the most talented musician she ever worked with was Masayuki Muraishi:

Faz Jaz - Elegant People

But I'll agree that he's one of the best musicians she ever worked with. :lol:

And I miss the sound of his guitar. It was so punky, so dirty. Maou, if you're interested in buying it, why don't you check with some member that lives in Japan? If the online shop doesn't ship internationally, maybe you can see if someone can send it to you (it's just an idea)

justriiingo 2011.05.16 08:09 PM

Nishikawa played in Hitomi Yaida's back up band after leaving SR.
I youtubed a little and it doesn't seem like his playing is quite as inspirational as it was with SR.

I'd rate SR's guitarists (at least the ones I know) in this manner, from best to worst

Asai Kenichi (aka Benji)
Susumu Nishikawa
Hirama Mikio
Junji (her ex-husband)
Hasegawa Kiyoshi
Ukigumo

Glathannus 2011.05.16 08:49 PM

If you were rating the guitarists based on skill, Junji would be at the bottom of the list. You seem to be ranking the guitarists based on other criteria, like the size of their balls.

justriiingo 2011.05.17 01:31 AM

I think overall attractiveness is part of the criteria.
FYI, I've nv seen any of their balls before so you can be sure that the ranking is not based on that.

Maou 2011.05.17 09:06 AM

Just so there's no confusion over which songs Nishikawa performed with Ringo...

The Susumu Nishikawa Master List

Muzai Moratorium

1. Tadashii Machi
2. Kabukichou no Joou
4. Koufukuron
6. Sid to Hakuchuumu
8. Kokode Kiss Shite
10. Keikoku

Shouso Strip

2. Yokushitsu
4. Gibs
5. Yami ni Furu Ame