Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Songs From Your Favorite Artists You'd Like Shiina Ringo to Cover (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2277)

Osiris12345 2018.05.20 08:37 PM

Songs From Your Favorite Artists You'd Like Shiina Ringo to Cover

The idea for this thread came up when I was thinking about how awesome it would be to hear Shiina Ringo do a cover of Queen's "Teo Torriatte" since her Japanese would be way better than Freddie Mercury's (for obvious reasons) and the song could sound good even if it had a Saito Neko arrangement. Was Queen on that giant list of influences she gave?

So take your top 5 artists. Are there any songs by them you think would sound just as good, if not better, after being given the SR treatment?

Queen
I mentioned "Teo Torriatte" already but I think "Get Down, Make Love" could sound really cool if done in a very electronic Utaite Myouri-era style. Probably better than the original, to be honest. Modern Ringo would also do very well with songs like "Seaside Rendezvous", "Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon", "Bring Back That Leroy Brown", and "Misfire".
Jamiroquai
Another band that would do well with the Ringo treatment. "Virtual Insanity" is the obvious choice here. She even name dropped it as inspiration for the "Honnou" PV. I'd love to hear "You Give Me Something" as well.
Pink Floyd
These guys don't typically lend themselves too well to being reinterpreted by Shiina Ringo. I mean, a spacey version of "Breathe" might be cool and I could see her doing "San Tropez" pretty well but most of their tunes wouldn't really gain much.
The Bird and the Bee
I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't love to hear Ringo do a cover of "Fucking Boyfriend". "Again and Again" would be pretty amazing too, to be honest. I think I've discovered I'd like Ringo to cover a lot of The Bird and the Bee's discography after thinking about this.
AC/DC
Ooh, boy. Not a lot of songs that would sound good here. They're not exactly similar. Although "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" would sound pretty entertaining. I think she could rock "TNT" as well.

Lena-chan 2018.05.21 02:35 AM

Oh! This is so interesting!!!
I don't even know who my top favorite artists are these days, everyday I'm in a different mood so everyday the artists that I'm loving are completely different
I'll try though

Madonna's "Power of goodbye"
I know she already did crazy for you, that it's one of the worst madonna songs IMO, but don't you think that a KSK style "power of goodbye" would be nice? In my mind it would sound like EM's Kuki

Arctic Monkeys' "Do I Wanna know"
I'm thinking of something like Dynamite out's Himitsu. I actually like AM's earlier songs better, but I suspect Ringo would do them Saito Neko's style

L'arc en ciel's "honey" or "dive to blue"... or maybe even "Joujoshi"
These two songs are near honnou in my top 5 most loved songs ever, so through the years I was always curious about how would Ringo pull out a cover of them. I would be glad if they sounded like MM era. And If she did Joujoshi I would be happy if it sounded like Dynamite Out

Nirvana's "Aneurysm"
As I'm very afraid she would do some like onitsuka chihiro's version of "smell like teen spirit", I think if she tries "aneurysm" she couldn't go for a slower version. I would want it to sound like Senkou Xstasy *_*

Bikini Kill's "Rebel Girl"
Ah~ If she did this sounding like senkou Xstasy I would be in heaven, and the queen would be truly back

Akina Nakamori's "Desire"
Even if she sounded like JCHI, I don't care, I would pee in my pants

Ayumi hamasaki "Heartplace" or "Memorial Adress"
I don't know if Ringo would have the same emotion that ayu had back in 2003/2004 when she did an amazing live performance of those two songs. Anyway, I definitely imagine those songs sounding like GX

Yumi Arai's "Rouge no dengon" aka that song from kiki's delivery service opening
Life would be perfect for me if all my favorite artists would cover all of Yumi Arai's early songs, but If I have to choose only one song this is my answer. I can imagine it sounding like Dynamite Out, and Ringo smiling like in DO's Toumei Ningen ;o; even imagining it makes me cry for the perfection it would be

PS: I didn't include beatles, Yamashita Tatsurou, bonnie pink or kojima mayumi because I think Ringo would do a boring job. I also don't have any evidence that Ringo can put out a good RnB song, so I didn't even consider bringing lots of artists to the table

zeroryouko 2018.05.21 10:07 AM

I don't know that Ringo could cover *modern* R&B, with its (in my view) massive over-emphasis on melisma. And frankly, I'm glad for it. One of the things I enjoy most about Ringo is that she *doesn't* over-sing.

But classic R&B? Hell yes! One of Ringo's principal influences was Marvin Gaye.

Lena-chan 2018.05.21 03:09 PM

I'm not concerned with the vocal part only. The things that I like the most in contemporary RnB are the melodies and the feeling of the songs over all. I actually feel more goosebumps for a clear vocal singing a good melody than for those melismatic moments that come and go.
And I know Marvin Gaye was one of her influences, but have she ever done anything that incorporates classic RnB influences and sounds good at the same time?
No.
I can only think of Kono yo ni kagiri, and it was awful
And "Before you walk out of my life" doesn't count because it's practically karaoke
I really wanted her to prove me wrong though, I've been waiting years for she to release that song "Girl" from one of her demo tapes with cool RnB vibes

Edit: Sorry, I forgot about George Porgy! This was actually good, but wasn't Junpei who did the major decisions in George Porgy? I don't know O.o

Osiris12345 2018.05.22 03:35 PM

"Roudousha" kind of has an old Motown vibe for me and I like that track. It's not one of her all-time greats but it's a fun one.

And what about "Karada" or "Get It Up For Love"?

Inseu 2018.05.22 04:32 PM

小萍萍 - 苦恋梦

小凤凤 捉鱼人

China Dolls - Tina Nong

黃慧文 - 開心鬼

Ylvis - The Fox

Osiris12345 2018.05.22 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inseu (Post 98712)

Holy shit, I want this. :lol:

chestnutflowers 2018.05.24 03:32 PM

When I listen to Kuki, I'm reminded of the strings section on Kate Bush's Houdini. If she's ever feeling artsy-fartsy again, I'd be curious to see how she'd handle this song (especially the unconventional vocals).
KB

Anything from Fiona Apple. Ringo's SS/MM-era sound would fit Fiona's earlier songs well. Plus they're both late '90s, influential female singer-songwriters named after the same fruit; it's only natural that she cover her. There was actually a rumor sometime ago that Ringo took inspiration from Fiona's name, though I'm pretty sure that's absolutely not true.
FA

chestnutflowers 2018.05.24 05:45 PM

I thought of another one: Sonic Youth! :P

SY

I think she could maybe pull off The Cardigans.
C

Lena-chan 2018.05.25 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chestnutflowers (Post 98742)
I thought of another one: Sonic Youth! :P

SY

Wow, this would be amazing!
As for the Cardigans, I left them out of my choices because I thought she would do a Neko Saito thing, because I would choose "Celia inside" for her to cover. But now, thinking about "Carnival", maybe she could do a good job... or even with "Hang around" or "Losing a friend"