Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   News (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Ringo News 2015 (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=2161)

FadedSun 2015.04.10 12:38 PM

I still stand by what I said. Her music is still amazing. Many of the comments on the video will just mirror my thoughts, such as it being inevitable that lots of songs will sound similar to each other or that musicians inspire each other. That said, it's pretty obvious she was inspired by some of these songs and that's fair. It doesn't take away from her compositions, and the melodies are often different. Also, they only take bits of pieces of the songs to compare. What about the entire songs? Do they still compare to each other?

deadgrandma 2015.04.10 05:09 PM

Ahh yes, the old 'Yoko Kanno is a talentless hack' discussion :-p

*she's not really, but that's what a lot of people claim*

zeroryouko 2015.04.10 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94242)

I will concede Yoko Kanno is quite good, I had forgotten about her.

I haven't watched anime in 10 years, but I might just pick the new movie up. It looks quite interesting - here's some more info about it in English:

http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/95_/

waranghira 2015.04.10 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FadedSun (Post 94234)
Yoko Kanno to some extent? She's incredible. The GitS: Stand Alone Complex OSTs, Cowboy Bebop, Zankyo no Terror and a bunch of other anime I haven't watched that probably have good OSTs.

Sacrilegious how her work on Kids on the Slope/Sakamichi no Apollon isn't mentioned. Even the covers/renditions there are superb.

mrnarse 2015.04.10 06:23 PM

Don't forget, years before there was a Shiina Ringo, Yoko Kanno brought us Sharon Apple:

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.10 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94242)

I'd rather that take than the polar opposite of the spectrum :-p

(if cooler heads prevail she's probably somewhere in the middle of that spectrum)

zeroryouko 2015.04.10 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94074)
It was broadcast on TV (a Jihen show), it has a choir in it, you can get the Souretsu part on the Jihen "Chin Play Kou Play" DVD/Blu Ray in high quality.

Or watch on youtube quality:

Souretsu

Rewatching now, spine chills. Now THIS is an epic rendition.

But yeah, if you can get it, get the blu ray version, it's cleaned up and sounds amazing.

At risk of veering off-topic, I listened to this again today on an airplane, just as it was coming in for a landing, with dense clouds, a little turbulence...it was completely otherworldly. It felt like the most momentous event in the history of the universe...

TurtleFu 2015.04.11 07:28 AM

I may be in Japan for Fuji Rock Festival, except I will be in Kansai area...

Man, I've pretty much missed everything since Sunny. I haven't listened to any of the new songs, I haven't seen any clips for Ringo EXPO. Hopefully once work slows down I can catch up again.

kalmia 2015.04.11 09:56 AM

I'm going to be in the Kansai area too but I'm still thinking about making the trek. I guess it's because I don't know if I'll ever have the opportunity again.

deadgrandma 2015.04.11 04:31 PM

Isn't it sold out? Someone else I was talking to said that it was...

kalmia 2015.04.11 07:33 PM

It looks like the first day of the festival is sold out, but there are some tickets in circulation to go see Ringo. Better act quick!

deadgrandma 2015.04.11 07:59 PM

The day she's on is not as good as day 2 overall, pity it worked out that way. Hope theres some kind of recording of this, wanna see how she handles the Sunny songs without the Madonna size show to go with it...

kalmia 2015.04.12 10:44 AM

If it weren't so expensive I would go for the two-day ticket. I'd go see Hiromi Uehara. Also, I know that recording is prohibited at most concerts in Japan. But I have seen cams of Fuji Rock Festival. And official recordings too. I don't know. Maybe it's because international fans go to the show.

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.12 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 94265)
Yeah, if it weren't so expensive I would go for the two-day ticket. I'd go see Hiromi Uehara.

She's playing there? Trio Project? Interesting venue for her.

kalmia 2015.04.12 07:33 PM

They played at Fuji Rock Festival in 2012 as well. A YouTube clip from that performance is actually what introduced me to them. I was pretty excited to see they were added to the lineup after Ringo... only to see they were on different days. :(

The Most Curious Thing 2015.04.12 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 94273)
They played at Fuji Rock Festival in 2012 as well. A YouTube clip from that performance is actually what introduced me to them. I was pretty excited to see they were added to the lineup after Ringo... only to see they were on different days. :(

Huh, no kidding!

I saw her at a jazz club in Boston a few years ago, but that's not quite Fuji Rock Festival.

zordon 2015.04.13 04:01 AM

damn American sizing on Redbubble... by European standards I wear 2XL t-shirts and they fit me just fine (I'm tall and not that beefy), but the U.S. 2XL turned out to be much too big and bulky... the quality is pretty good though so I'm trying to get a size exchange

deadgrandma 2015.04.15 06:36 PM

Ha wow, have to laugh at them early reviews on Academic Expo 14... People seem surprised that it looks and sounds like shit... I could tell that from the previews and come on, 1000 yen price tag.

Face it people, you're paying for a bootleg. Don't get your expectations up too high and just enjoy it as a weird collector's curio...

Orenji 2015.04.16 02:02 PM

Where can those previews be seen?

mrnarse 2015.04.16 10:06 PM

The latest Ringohan email just came in about an hour ago, and another live performance has been announced.

Get ready for 椎名林檎 (生)林檎博’15 -垂涎三尺-, aka Ringo Expo '15 - Drooling at the Mouth!

For one night only, on Sunday, August 16th, get ready to watch Ringo perform in... Taiwan!

The Ringohan email did acknowledge that there are many fans from all over the world (Europe, North America, and Asia were mentioned), but they decided that Ringo's first international performance would be in Taiwan.

There was no mention of any other plans for international touring in the future, but this news gives me some hope of her going on tour outside of Asia at some point.

There's also a special tour package for Japanese fans to go see her Taiwain concert, the "Bon Voyage Excursion". It's limited to Ringohan members and there's only 200 2-person tour packages available. Costs 100,000 yen for the 3-day, 2-night package, flight and hotel included (unsure if that's for both people or per person).

Can't link to the tour package site, cause it's behind the Ringohan login, but here's a Facebook page for the Taiwan concert:

https://www.facebook.com/SheenaRingo.LiveinTaiwan

deadgrandma 2015.04.16 10:24 PM

RIP Shiina Ringo.

Long live Ringo Hamasaki. Ringo Expo every year, much like Hamasakis annual countdown event!

She's finally gone 100% JPOP!

Expect giant martini glass this show.

Hope you've got your SMARM ALARM on before you get all pissy about my comments!

It is cool that she's doing international show though. Bet Universal had just a small hand in this move...

zeroryouko 2015.04.16 10:53 PM

I'm not surprised she chose Taiwan - judging by Facebook, it seems like her largest contingent of fans outside Japan (at least, fans who post comments) is located there.

I think this could go either way. While I would certainly be glad to see her get more exposure internationally, I never really thought I would see the day she performed outside Japan at all. I don't think she really has the capability of building a large enough overseas fan base to support stadium concerts and expensive visual effects, or to justify writing songs with the international market in mind on an ongoing basis.

Even if she does go on a world tour, I doubt those concerts will ever be at the scale of some of her domestic performances. If she had a concert here, I can't see it being much more than something like Dai Ikkai Ringohan Taikai no Moyou - a couple of thousand die-hard fans, many of whom traveled long distance to be there.

At least there's a good chance that NIPPON won't be on the set list. :P

deadgrandma 2015.04.16 10:59 PM

I hope your right about it being smaller scale tbh. The big scale stuff leaves no room for improvisation/it's all timed and robotic in a way.

mrnarse 2015.04.16 11:11 PM

Ringo Expo '15 - Drooling at the Mouth

gekokujyo 2015.04.16 11:27 PM

The drooling at the mouth expression is basically an idiom used to describe delicious food. Yum!

ANYWAY IM SO FUCKING GOING OMG SO EXCITED!

(also, she's basically been doing pop music since day 1 so......)

FadedSun 2015.04.17 04:53 AM

The "Live in Taiwan" FB page for the concert already has about 8000 likes. Not bad at all. Looking forward to seeing the, I'm assuming, DVD of this show.

waranghira 2015.04.17 04:57 AM

WHERE'S THE TICKET INFO????????

deadgrandma 2015.04.17 05:23 AM

Call em

Inseu 2015.04.17 08:30 AM

Taiwan was colonized by Japan for half a decade, when will she really get out of Japan?

zeroryouko 2015.04.17 10:59 AM

Baby steps...

Maou 2015.04.17 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 94293)
At least there's a good chance that NIPPON won't be on the set list. :P

There's a good chance for more classic songs on the setlist as well. I hope it's a good mix of all of her material rather than mostly newer stuff. Bring back Meisai, Morphine and Izonshou.

I hope they don't let Ukigumo into the country.

zeroryouko 2015.04.17 11:07 AM

They should let him in, but threaten to deport him if he attempts to rap. :D

deadgrandma 2015.04.17 04:55 PM

Seems setlist is being chosen via voting system

Scribble R 2015.04.17 07:02 PM

Wow. I am excited for Taiwan. And they get to vote for the tracks? I wonder if there are songs she will ignore if they get the most votes. Morphine, Mayonaka wa Junketsu (i.e the two songs that got me into her. I know she performed the former once), full Shuukyou, Ringo Catalogue....

deadgrandma 2015.04.17 07:17 PM

Ringo Catalog would win back my faith

Or a Saito Neko arrangement on Sigma

Is it just me or does there seem to be more hype in the air over this show than her recent Jap shows?

Inseu 2015.04.17 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I know why she hates aliens now.

kalmia 2015.04.17 08:28 PM

Man, I was excited when I started reading about this. As soon as I get to Japan, she leaves it and "tours" elsewhere. At least there is Fuji Rock Festival. But on the bright side, this is actually really good news. World Tour, please! :P

mrnarse 2015.04.17 08:37 PM

It could also be possible that they just lug all the Ringo Expo 14 equipment over to Taiwan and do a show that's almost exactly the same as last year's.

deadgrandma 2015.04.17 08:41 PM

That's my main concern.

I really hope not.

deadgrandma 2015.04.17 08:59 PM

RSD 7" secured.

Far easier than last year.

zeroryouko 2015.04.17 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 94308)
I wonder if there are songs she will ignore if they get the most votes. Morphine, Mayonaka wa Junketsu (i.e the two songs that got me into her. I know she performed the former once), full Shuukyou, Ringo Catalogue....

Honnou?

kalmia 2015.04.18 07:31 AM

If it is a voting system that determines the setlist, I'd expect fan favorites -- like Honnou. Could be lots of KZK and SS. Maybe. But then I could see her not doing Shuukyou even if it got the most votes....

FadedSun 2015.04.18 09:03 AM

Can they pick from her entire catalog? When is the concert? I imagine if they're picking songs she hasn't played in a while, she'll have to go back and refine those live. There's also the fact that she has a new band and they might not know all those songs. The voting will likely be used as a guideline for adding a couple of the favorites to the already chosen setlist.

kalmia 2015.04.18 07:10 PM

I could definitely seeing them just adding the most voted in song to the setlist.

waranghira 2015.04.18 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94309)
Is it just me or does there seem to be more hype in the air over this show than her recent Jap shows?

It's easier to go to! Compared to Japan. At least from where I'm coming from. :))

And here's to hoping for cheaper production. We don't need all the glam; it'd be kinder for us not rich fans.

zeroryouko 2015.04.19 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94287)
Ha wow, have to laugh at them early reviews on Academic Expo 14... People seem surprised that it looks and sounds like shit... I could tell that from the previews and come on, 1000 yen price tag.

Face it people, you're paying for a bootleg. Don't get your expectations up too high and just enjoy it as a weird collector's curio...

Has this actually started shipping yet?

deadgrandma 2015.04.19 09:35 PM

Yeah it has, started last week as far as I understand

chii 2015.04.20 04:12 AM

I would say this is a promising signal. As in the email posted earlier, it said something like they KNOW there are fans in north america, europe etc? But chose to do her FIRST international show in Taiwan?
Sounds promising to me. I would be willing to travel around North America for sure. I doubt she'd make it to Canada, but something like New York? Yeah I'd do it. London, maybe, if my sister is still living there : P

Inseu 2015.04.20 05:38 AM

Toronto is the 4th largest city in North America!

FadedSun 2015.04.20 06:13 AM

Big stops for first shows by Japanese artists are usually LA or NYC as far as I've noticed, but since she's traveled to NYC before I wouldn't be surprised if she played a show there.

mrnarse 2015.04.20 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chii (Post 94326)
I would say this is a promising signal. As in the email posted earlier, it said something like they KNOW there are fans in north america, europe etc? But chose to do her FIRST international show in Taiwan?
Sounds promising to me. I would be willing to travel around North America for sure. I doubt she'd make it to Canada, but something like New York? Yeah I'd do it. London, maybe, if my sister is still living there : P

Yup, that's the gist of what it said in the email. It said it was her first time performing internationally and mentioned those other places where they knew there were fans.

Like others have said, if she did a NA performance, I would bet on it being LA or NYC, and she's been to both places at least once over the last year.

zeroryouko 2015.04.20 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FadedSun (Post 94328)
Big stops for first shows by Japanese artists are usually LA or NYC as far as I've noticed, but since she's traveled to NYC before I wouldn't be surprised if she played a show there.

She was just in LA as well... *crosses fingers*

There are a lot more speakers of Japanese in California than there are on the East Coast.

Scribble R 2015.04.20 02:30 PM

I really cannot imagine Ringo performing a show in the west unless she performs with SAPS in London. Does she have enough fans in any one city? I'm just as interested in the crowd that would show up as I am in seeing SR herself. Maybe I'm a bit misguided, I dunno.

kalmia 2015.04.20 09:22 PM

I'm not sure what a Western Ringo show would look like either. It's not like she is a popular idol group or visual kei band among weeaboos. In all honestly, she might not be able to do it. I mean, even Utada's US tour was tiny. So tiny in fact, that she went into an indefinite hiatus following the devastating low turnout. :P

Just kidding, Hikki. I love you.

deadgrandma 2015.04.20 09:33 PM

Just tour with Boris

FadedSun 2015.04.21 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadgrandma (Post 94346)
Just tour with Boris

Wata guests on some Shiina songs. Holy shit...Or Shiina singing some of the Boris tracks Wata sings on.

Better yet, just do a Shiina/Oomori tour. Both their first times in America.

If a Japanese band like Red Bacteria Vacuum can get a short tour playing with A Perfect Circle and do relatively well, I think Shiina should be able to do fairly well for herself. I don't know. Maybe Shiina just needs to tag along on someone else's tour to get pre-exposure.

chii 2015.04.23 04:46 AM

She should totally play alongside Radiohead (her SS era would be best though)

I would die.

deadgrandma 2015.04.23 04:53 AM

What is the go on new Radiohead btw

hedgehog 2015.04.23 09:29 AM

If she comes to the U.S. she better make a stop somewhere on the west coast. Seattle or Portland would be best but I'd settle for LA. It'd be hard for me having to pay for a trip to New York right now!

kalmia 2015.04.23 04:40 PM

Man, I'd be smack-dab in the middle of those two cities. A US tour is incomplete without a stop in the mid-west. Chicago or god-forbid Detroit, please, for the hypothetical world tour.

FadedSun 2015.04.24 05:08 AM

You guys are living in a dream world if you think she would go anywhere near the midwest IF she even did a first US tour. :lol:

deadgrandma 2015.04.24 05:12 AM

I hope she does Sydney and skips the US :-p

zordon 2015.04.24 07:08 AM

Eastern Europe please :D

kalmia 2015.04.24 10:41 AM

I dunno about that, FadedSun. Most big acts that I've seen come to the US have done Chicago.

Maou 2015.04.24 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FadedSun (Post 94365)
You guys are living in a dream world if you think she would go anywhere near the midwest IF she even did a first US tour. :lol:

Screw your Bostonian arrogance. :angry: We have better weather, nicer people and better basketball teams than you dudes out east. :P

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 94370)
I dunno about that, FadedSun. Most big acts that I've seen come to the US have done Chicago.

*insert jokes about Cleveland here* : /

I don't think she'd do an actual tour. Just one or two shows in LA and/or NY. I will only go to the LA show if Glath or some other EMFers will also be there.

FadedSun 2015.04.24 01:07 PM

Hahaha, hey I didn't say she would choose Boston if she did a tour here. Wouldn't expect that at all, actually. I don't have a lot of city pride, but we do get a decent amount of good artists coming through here. Boris ALWAYS comes here, and for that I am grateful.

I agree about the weather. Was dreadful here this winter and I much prefer a warmer climate. The Celtics...have not been on top of their game for the past few years :P

And yeah, I agree that she wouldn't do an actual "tour". She would play a couple shows in the major cities (LA and NYC) just to get her feet wet and to see the reception. MAYBE she would come back if things went well. If Utada can't make it in America, there is even less hope for Shiina because Utada's music is much more marketable to the American masses (IMO).

hedgehog 2015.04.24 01:19 PM

House shows confirmed

zeroryouko 2015.04.24 01:28 PM

Google Trends offers some insight on this:

By Country: https://www.google.com/trends/explor...q=shiina+ringo
By US State/City: https://www.google.com/trends/explor...q=shiina+ringo

I'm not sure what other metrics could be used to gauge Ringo's international fan base. In Europe I suppose MP3 downloads could be used, but her music is not officially available in the US/Canada.

Based on this, it looks like a show in California would probably have the best chance of success. It looks like she is actually searched for more in San Francisco than LA, so maybe the show would be up there. Or I could see her maybe doing a show in Vegas instead of California; in terms of her actual music and style she actually seems like a good fit for Las Vegas. Either way, New York (presumably NYC itself) would be the second choice. Texas, surprisingly, comes in third. Unfortunately for those in the Midwest, it doesn't seem like Chicago or any other city there really rates.

Maou 2015.04.24 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FadedSun (Post 94372)
And yeah, I agree that she wouldn't do an actual "tour". She would play a couple shows in the major cities (LA and NYC) just to get her feet wet and to see the reception. MAYBE she would come back if things went well. If Utada can't make it in America, there is even less hope for Shiina because Utada's music is much more marketable to the American masses (IMO).

I'd compare her more to Luna Sea or Dir en grey playing in the States than Utada. I was at the Luna Sea LA show and I thought the fan turn out was good as people were lined up around the building all day waiting to get in. They haven't come back in the last five years though. I expect Ringo to be the same way.

mrnarse 2015.04.24 02:25 PM

Here's some info about Kyary Pamyu Pamyu's first couple of tours in the US. I know she has a much bigger weeaboo audience over here, but looking at the cities and venue sizes I see them as a good comparison for a possible Ringo US tour.

In 2013, Pamyu Pamyu only played two concerts in the US, one in LA and one in NY. I went to the one in NY, and the line to get in went about 10 city blocks. The capacity in both venues was around 2,000 people.

All in all it seemed a huge success for her, so they expanded her tour for 2014. In 2014, she played LA, NY, Seattle, San Fran, Toronto, and Chicago.

I could see similar things for potential Ringo North American tours. Testing the waters with LA and NY shows in venues with only a couple thousand seats max, and if successful expanding to other big cities in future tours.

chii 2015.04.25 12:12 PM

Guys. Canada ranks 2nd after Japan? I'm actually so surprised. Toronto is up there in regions as well.

DOES THAT MEAN THERE'S A CHANCE?

Kuridamo 2015.04.27 09:15 AM

Is the Ringo Expo 14 DVD already sold out? There are only used copies at amazon.co.jp..

zeroryouko 2015.04.27 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuridamo (Post 94390)
Is the Ringo Expo 14 DVD already sold out? There are only used copies at amazon.co.jp..

It is "officially" sold out, however, I was able to find some new copies for sale through third parties on Amazon.com (USA):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

zordon 2015.04.27 09:45 AM

It's sold out on all of the major websites like YesAsia, CDJapan, HMV or Amazon.
It was listed as 'limited release' on cdjapan when it was available, so I guess you might need to pay extra bucks for it now.

FadedSun 2015.04.27 10:20 AM

I swear I remember everyone telling me that the DVD wasn't ever going to sell out. So much for that :P Maybe they need to restock.

zeroryouko 2015.04.27 11:07 AM

Does anyone know how big the production run was/what the sales actually were?

Kuridamo 2015.04.27 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zeroryouko (Post 94391)
It is "officially" sold out, however, I was able to find some new copies for sale through third parties on Amazon.com (USA):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...&condition=new

Thanks a lot, but still it is expensive!

zeroryouko 2015.04.27 12:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kuridamo (Post 94396)
Thanks a lot, but still it is expensive!

The $63 one is not *too* bad...

deadgrandma 2015.04.27 05:42 PM

There's no second press?

Inseu 2015.04.28 05:34 AM

You can download it for free and spend $60 on the real thing.

FadedSun 2015.04.28 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inseu (Post 94406)
You can download it for free and spend $60 on the real thing.

Was anyone here not aware that they could do this? :huh:

3knotsJK 2015.04.28 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FadedSun (Post 94407)
Was anyone here not aware that they could do this? :huh:

obviously that's not the point, lol

Inseu 2015.04.29 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3knotsJK (Post 94408)
obviously that's not the point, lol

Then what is the point? Paying extra for lower quality product?

kalmia 2015.04.29 10:49 AM

I want to get into this Academic Version discussion but I haven't seen any clips/footage. Is there somewhere I can preview this?

3knotsJK 2015.04.29 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inseu (Post 94411)
Then what is the point? Paying extra for lower quality product?

No, I guess when some fail at something important may think 'I don't give a fuck' and some just need something new just to stop feel bad because of failed attempt and if they know it can work very deterministically they simply exploit it, because that's what they are. And after all what you know wouldn't matter anyway.

zeroryouko 2015.04.29 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kalmia (Post 94412)
I want to get into this Academic Version discussion but I haven't seen any clips/footage. Is there somewhere I can preview this?

There are some clips on the Kronekodow site:

http://www.kronekodow.com/gaiko/150325dvd.html

kalmia 2015.04.30 09:57 AM

Well, I guess the Academic version is good for those who wanted to see the background for songs like 密偵物語. And it does give you an idea of what the atmosphere was actually like at the show. You can see the entire stage. But I certainly wouldn't pay extra for that bootleg.

mrnarse 2015.05.02 01:04 AM

Ringo enjoying some Golden Week festivities in Asakusa with Shinohara Tomoe:

https://instagram.com/p/2KflvFgtik/

zeroryouko 2015.05.02 10:53 AM

Wow, love the design of her obi...

deadgrandma 2015.05.07 07:23 PM

Has anyone actually watched this in it's entirety? It's quite difficult and annoyng tbh. The quality changes constantly and the audio frequently clips.

mrnarse 2015.05.08 12:32 AM

Mine arrived the other day, but I haven't watched it yet. Here's what the Ringohan edition looks like:

There's only one horse sticker there. The other one is just the same design on a flimsy piece of paper.

Here's a close up of the other sticker.

The blacked out area has your member number and name on it. I think shipments were delayed a few days for Ringohan members just to print that little thing out.

mrnarse 2015.05.08 01:05 PM

Newspaper ad for the Miss Hokusai anime and her theme song:

zordon 2015.05.09 07:21 AM

Damn my foot fetish! When it comes to Ringo I'm just as creepy as those AKB48 fanboys

gekokujyo 2015.05.10 05:39 PM

Revisited Hiizuru tokoro again and started close reading the lyrics. What a stellar monster of songwriting. I thought I liked the lyrics (or what I understood of them) before, but having come across some translations I realise that I've missed certain nuances that now make me like the songs even more. Check them out here: http://shinitakashi.blogspot.jp/1990...os-lyrics.html

My favourite is undoubtedly Ima. What a tight, tight song of sex and poetry; the metaphor of time deployed so beautifully. But Shizukanaru gyakushu and Arikitarina onna (which was certainly my least favourite of the new songs) are also spectacular.

deadgrandma 2015.05.10 05:51 PM

Just out of curiosity, how much does Ima variate from it's English version of Toutakai? I often find her English versions are WILDLY different from the fan translations to the point of having a completely different meaning (I can understand having to take liberties to keep the flow on the English version, but damn do some of them change their whole theme at times).

gekokujyo 2015.05.10 07:38 PM

The 2 versions of Ima are quite different if you go line by line, though the overall message about 2 people who are opposites, and the time metaphor, are still there in some form. This is of course based on what I can make out of her not always eloquent English singing =p

Many of her English songs are actually very close to their Japanese counterparts. la salle de bain is almost a literal translation of Yokushitsu (from what I can remember).

deadgrandma 2015.05.10 08:02 PM

The tower records towel is a decent size/looks pretty cool. A last.fm user linked me this pic.

mrnarse 2015.05.10 10:25 PM

^Huh, they must follow the same guy on twitter as I do. I just saw the same pic posted on there earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekokujyo (Post 94566)
Many of her English songs are actually very close to their Japanese counterparts. la salle de bain is almost a literal translation of Yokushitsu (from what I can remember).

I can definitely can tell on that song, even with my intermediate skills. "洗って切って水の中" is literally "wash me cut me I'm underwater"

zeroryouko 2015.05.10 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gekokujyo (Post 94566)
The 2 versions of Ima are quite different if you go line by line, though the overall message about 2 people who are opposites, and the time metaphor, are still there in some form. This is of course based on what I can make out of her not always eloquent English singing =p

Stem also seems to stay fairly close to Kuki.

IMO her English lyrics are generally pretty good; she obviously has far more than a basic understanding of the language, and she is able to use colloquialisms and create metaphors that make sense. Stem, for example, I think is actually quite poetic.

Her pronunciation isn't bad either - for one, she's the only Japanese singer I can think of who can consistently differentiate between th (as in theory) and th (as in them) - and not pronounce either as "s". When things get confusing is when the meter of the song does not quite match up to the natural rhythm that one would expect the English lyrics to have. Sometimes this results in mishearing one word as another that would be a more natural fit (e.g. "Up there are heaven, now, but it will not wait" instead of "Up there, a heaven..."). Also sometimes, words blend together that should be better differentiated, due to a lack of emphasis on terminal consonants.

deadgrandma 2015.05.10 11:24 PM

What's her excuse for being almost indecipherable on the English tracks on Reimport and Sunny then? Still can't tell what she's saying on JL005 without lyrics in front of me