Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Our fav. Videogames (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=162)

Jonny 2007.05.11 10:20 AM

^^

Half-life 2 ain't, err... half of Half-life, when it comes to the impact it had on the gaming industry. Though HL2 is a great game on its own, it hasn't changed the way we think about FPS at all, the way HL did.

Before Half-life, age was medieval. Darkness reigned with the occasional Quake clone without story, but with huge body counts.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.05.11 04:16 PM

I'm not denying that Half-Life had more of a historical impact on the gaming community, and that it wasn't almost revolutionary but that doesn't stop the fact that today, at present, Half-Life 2 is a better game. I think we're getting to an age now where there is little to do to innovate (Particularly in the FPS genre) other than to better the things we already have. Half-Life 2 did this dramatically with it's insanely good physics and graphics and the innovative gravity gun.

Anyway, Halo 3 FTW!

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.11 04:35 PM

Halo is about the only game I ever desired to return. Normally I buy a game, and even it sucks, "well, at least it was at most only $20" -- but even at $20 I thought Halo was boring crap. Perfect Dark, heck Turok (1 or 2) were way more worthy of FPS glory.

HEDOfloe 2007.05.11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 4786)
Halo is about the only game I ever desired to return. Normally I buy a game, and even it sucks, "well, at least it was at most only $20" -- but even at $20 I thought Halo was boring crap. Perfect Dark, heck Turok (1 or 2) were way more worthy of FPS glory.

I think Halo is only anything special in multiplayer. Halo 2 I did not like though, because they made it unbalanced.

Maou 2007.05.11 04:55 PM

Halo = co-op goodness. Normally, I don't play FPS games unless there's a co-op mode. Bioshock and The Darkness will be a couple of the exceptions.

HEDOfloe 2007.05.11 05:30 PM

Did you guys read about Miyamoto saying he could have created america's favorite past-time if he felt like it?

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.11 05:44 PM

He coulda made it better |(

HEDOfloe 2007.05.11 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 4810)
He coulda made it better |(

I think so to. But better yet, imagine a mario FPS for the wii. He's already playing every sport, he might as well go into another genre now :)

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.11 05:51 PM

Well, he helped guide the creation of Metroid Prime, that's gotta be worth something.

HEDOfloe 2007.05.11 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 4815)
Well, he helped guide the creation of Metroid Prime, that's gotta be worth something.

I'm not sure how much he did, but I did read it was his idea to turn it from third person to first person. Good idea. I really like how they made the visor, with stuff splashing off of it, etc. But what would have a 3rd person, 3d metroid been like :blink: