Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Site Announcements/Feedback/Suggestions (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Thread layout (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=96)

Jonny 2007.04.07 04:09 AM

Thread layout

I'm not liking the layout of threads. It hurts my middle finger. I tell you why.

Normal good forums' layout:
XYYYYYY

Where X is the name, avatar and stuff, and Y the post content.

Electric Mole's layout:
X
YYYYYYY

Which means that there's a lot of unnecessary scrolling going on. A lot of uselessnes that's not really related to the discussion gets in the way, kind of like how commercials break movies on TV.

Jer 2007.04.07 04:17 AM

I agree. Shit sucks on a laptop touchpad. User info should go to the left of our posts, not on top of it.

golem09 2007.04.07 05:35 AM

That was the first thing I thought about when entering this forum.
But now I'm pretty happy with this layout, because there is so much space in every line of your post.

justriiingo 2007.04.07 10:13 AM

Agreed. However, I don't like that the content portion is so wide, it takes longer to read posts. But I can easily solve that by resizing my window. :)

Glathannus 2007.04.07 04:18 PM

Having user info on the Left, versus Above the posts, each have the potential to waste lots of room. It depends upon one main factor - Is the average post big or small?

Left-Based doesn't have a fixed size - it has a fixed percentage. Left-Based 'waste', grows with the size of the post. It actually makes you have to do more scrolling when you have a large amount of text/images - more than the amount of required scrolling that the Above-Based layout 'adds' to the boards.

My own posts are long on average, so I personally oppose Left-Based. But just because I think it's the more inefficient layout of the two, doesn't mean other people shouldn't be able to have it. Just be careful what you wish for. If the average post ends up being large (only time will tell as more people settle in), then the layout should be changed back.

Jonny 2007.04.07 04:29 PM

I think having the left-side version is better also for the reason that has been slightly hinted here; it's faster to read a text that spans over a more squareshaped area than a pulled out rectangular one. You just don't have to move your eyes as much. A teacher back in high school taught us how to read normal books fast by holding them slightly more further away and then focusing the view in the center of the line and just moving it down, without moving it sideways. Not that I really mastered that. :-P

Kind of makes you wonder if this isn't (or should be) a per-user setting in the forum.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.07 04:35 PM

Holy crap, when did it change??

You guys are messing with my miiiiiiiiindddd

milk 2007.04.07 06:34 PM

I agree with the change and the point made that reading is easier when I don't have to scan my eyes across the whole monitor. Was going to post something about this but Jonny (Mnemonic?) beat me to it. (^_^)

Jer 2007.04.09 07:59 AM

Awesome change.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.09 04:46 PM

It's awwwwwwwright!!!

But seriously, I like the layout change.