Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shiina Ringo collab on next SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS album (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1292)

Yahiko 2009.07.26 07:50 PM

Shiina Ringo collab on next SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS album

Japanese jazz band SOIL & "PIMP" SESSION is releasing their new album titled "6" on 9/16. They just announced Shiina Ringo, DJ KENTARO and a really famous UK singer participation on it (it's not clear what is the kind of participation though). It will contain 12 songs and there are plans for world-wide release. The new single "Paraiso" from the album will be available at iTunes on 8/5.

"6"
9/16/2009 release
VICL-63376 ¥2,800(tax in)

Scribble R 2009.07.27 02:10 AM

Thanks for the info.

She's gonna collab with everyone to the point where "Sanmon Gossip Alternative Version" could be constructed.

papilionidae 2009.07.27 02:21 AM

It is "Karisome Otome (Death Jazz ver.)"

In TJ's next album there will be "Karisome Otome (Jihen ver.)"

In the end we'll have an album full of "Karisome Otome". Every track in it is "Karisome Otome", this version and that version. The album will be titled as "Karisome Otome (Various versions)".

(Just kidding)

isxahopas 2009.07.27 05:24 AM

I am really feeling that cover art.

s3r3nity 2009.07.27 11:14 AM

Maybe SAPS will be Phase 3 Jihen. :lol:
(unless there's already a Phase 3 and I'm stupid :P)

kuro_neko 2009.07.27 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s3r3nity (Post 61056)
Maybe SAPS will be Phase 3 Jihen. :lol:
(unless there's already a Phase 3 and I'm stupid :P)

if Ringo knew what was good for her, she'd set up another entirely separate unit to Jihen and her solo career, comprised of members from Jihen, Soil and Pimp, and others. I look at what she did at Sunset Live in 2004 and shiver.

Scribble R 2009.07.27 12:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 61059)
if Ringo knew what was good for her, she'd set up another entirely separate unit to Jihen and her solo career, comprised of members from Jihen, Soil and Pimp, and others. I look at what she did at Sunset Live in 2004 and shiver.

What happened at Sunset Live in 2004?

Yahiko 2009.07.27 01:06 PM

yes, what happened? It was Phase 1, wasn't it?

although the setlist and videos look awesome

how was meisai?

Scribble R 2009.07.27 01:46 PM

Is that the Jazz a Gogo Honnou thing?

Orenji 2009.07.28 07:25 AM

Yeah, some S&PS' members played during that medley. Just that xD.

justriiingo 2009.07.28 09:19 AM

At this point of time, SAPS are too awesome for SR. They need to work with people like Jose James more.... He's got such a buttery smooth voice and sings with such great groove and feel, hits the spot all the time! He's already done something with J.A.M so a future collaboration wouldn't be too out of reach! Or Sharon Jones! Damn a collab with Sharon Jones would be extremely fun, I'm trying to imagine a Death Soul/Jazz kinda thing... would be so completely awesome! But I'm just dreaming...

kuro_neko 2009.07.28 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orenji (Post 61083)
Yeah, some S&PS' members played during that medley. Just that xD.

it was during Phase 1, but right at the start, and the formation was most of the members of Phase 1 (not everyone was playing, I can't remember who was and isn't, but based on mp3, it sounds like Hata and H Zett M definitely, I am not sure about hirama or kameda), and then two members from Soil and Pimp, Moto and someone else...

basically I think Ringo needs to add some spice to her lineup. Rather than being a typical 5 piece band they should introduce another 2-3 members and rotate bodies/instruments depending on the song. the medley came out awesome and sometimes Jihen suffers from that band over-produced issue that haunts a lot of people.

Maou 2009.07.29 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 61100)
it was during Phase 1, but right at the start, and the formation was most of the members of Phase 1 (not everyone was playing, I can't remember who was and isn't, but based on mp3, it sounds like Hata and H Zett M definitely, I am not sure about hirama or kameda), and then two members from Soil and Pimp, Moto and someone else...

Every member of Phase 1 played during the Jihen Ondo performance. There's a video of it. The other member of S&"P"S was Tabu Zombie.

kuro_neko 2009.07.29 12:45 PM

i've seen the video, I just don't recall all the other members since they stay off to the sides.

ringo should boot ukigumo and add a horn or something exotic. its kind of pointless to have him for guitar when the pianist can outplay him.

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.29 12:57 PM

or hey, get a REAL guitarist. Something versatile!

Scribble R 2009.07.29 01:34 PM

Or form a new band. With all these collabs, she'll eventually form a superband.

Or actually, with all these collabs, she'll eventually collaborate with Western artists. Like Black Eyed Peas.

Yahiko 2009.07.29 05:01 PM

Ringo feat. Black Eyed Peas? uhh I don't really know how it would sound... although I didn't like Koda Kumi x Fergie song

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.29 05:52 PM

why are we dream shipping her with BEP?? Christ, they're even bigger sell outs AND pussy-outs. How bout Shiina and Rivers Cuomo (of Weezer) -- brings in some guitar for a change and he has yellow fever pretty bad.

kuro_neko 2009.07.29 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 61161)
why are we dream shipping her with BEP?? Christ, they're even bigger sell outs AND pussy-outs. How bout Shiina and Rivers Cuomo (of Weezer) -- brings in some guitar for a change and he has yellow fever pretty bad.

um, ew. so we are going to support yellow fever? besides, after his japanese cover song I really don't think I'd like to seriously listen to him sing in any language but english.

if ringo did a stateside collab, sorry folks, but it needs to be with courtney love. ringo references her several times and this has been discussed before, but courtney, regardless of how much of a hot mess she has been lately, is probably the only person I can see sharing the stage with Ringo. it would bring ringo's rawk back out.

Scribble R 2009.07.29 07:07 PM

Because BEP are the kind of artists the Shiina of today would collaborate with, instead of someone LIKE MIKE PATTON, although his music is probably too eccentric for Ringo, who has really been downplaying her eccentric side recently in favour of genericity (Mostly. Sanmon Gossip still got it a bit)

Actually, that's not really true. Her musical influences are good for the most part, and she chose talented people to collaborate with in Sanmon Gossip. But then there's Ukigumo. But even he suddenly becomes awesome when it's a solo deal.

Tokyo Jihad: Are you serious about the Weezer guy? I've only listened to a bit of Pinkerton, but remember in that other thread just now when I was talking about other fans pissing on their favourite artists because they've grown older and blah blah blah? I was talking about Weezer fans, at least from what I've seen on NeoGAF.

Do you know who Shiina needs to collaborate with? The Togatta Teguchi guy. For a WHOLE ALBUM.

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.29 08:26 PM

See, maybe its cuz I'm not a "hardcore go to forums" Weezer fan to put two-and-two together. Its self evident that blue and pinkerton are a cut above the rest, but I never saw it like "blah get back to your roots" or whatever. (I think Red has its moments and kinda dig Maladroit.) But I dont think Shiina's shortcomings are the same as Rivers. While Weezer isn't as top-to-bottom good as they once were, its still in the same vein and for the most part un-alienating of the old mold -- unlike Shiina.

I dunno, if Weezer fans are like Shiina fans, I think they should take a page from Oasis fans. Every Oasis fan knows their first two albums are the best and will never be touched by any future release of theirs, but they don't bitch cuz Oasis still churns out pretty good music. Even if Weezer isn't as consistent, they still have good tunes.

Scribble R 2009.07.29 09:40 PM

Yeah, from as far as I can gather, Weezer's music is in the same vein, but watered down, forced and shallow. Pinkerton came out in 1997, so it's been what, nearly thirteen years. And every time a new album is announced, Weezer fans hope they'll return to form -- but are disappointed time and time again.

It's probably like Shiina. Except some of us know that any of her upcoming albums won't be amazing as long as Phase 2 exists. And even though her newer music alienates some people, at least there's the hope that she is capable of doing her roots justice if she chose to (If certain tracks on SG are any indication)

Wow, I'm sitting here with a carton of tropical juice, and as I was typing this, I glanced right and my eyes happened to land on the ingredients label and on two words in particular: "Papaya, mango."

But yeah, soilnpimpsessions. That doll on the front cover looks like Shiina.

a_grumble_cake 2009.07.30 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 61162)
if ringo did a stateside collab, sorry folks, but it needs to be with courtney love.

I'm not sure she even gives a crap about people like Love anymore. If she collaborated with a western artist it would probably be someone of the Burt Bacharach variety.

Osiris12345 2009.07.30 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 61162)
if ringo did a stateside collab, sorry folks, but it needs to be with courtney love.

NO. NO. NO. I would rather hear jazz versions of old songs rehashed for the next 30 years of her career.

kuro_neko 2009.07.30 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osiris12345 (Post 61213)
NO. NO. NO. I would rather hear jazz versions of old songs rehashed for the next 30 years of her career.

are you kidding me? that seems a bit extreme, especially considering ringo's heyday was obviously influenced by both Kurt and Courtney...

Tokyo Jihad 2009.07.30 08:03 PM

i think Osiris was being sarcastic

Osiris12345 2009.07.30 08:59 PM

Yeah, that is hyperbole but I think that makes my point for how little I would want to see the collaboration.

And every time she mentions Courtney in her lyrics it does make me cringe a little.

makenshiww 2009.07.30 09:06 PM

Although I have to say. I might be one of the few that adore this album though. Its just new material. I was kinda over Saito Neko, after HF although I loved it. But she just gave it a little twist, which she does pretty often

sometimes I have to remind myself that I will end up listening to whatever she wants to make if it isnt horrible.

frecklegirl 2009.07.30 09:16 PM

OK when besides Gips is Courtney's name mentioned in Ringo's lyrics???

Scribble R 2009.07.31 02:15 AM

In Genjitsu wo Warau =P

JonnoJ 2009.07.31 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 61004)
....and a really famous UK singer...

CDJapan email:
VICL-63376
SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS/6 CDA
2667 yen US$28/96.47 Release Date:2009/09/16
Description:Sixth album release from SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS featuring guests Ringo Shiina and Jamie Cullum.

Fecking awesome :) This could really launch them in the UK, he's an amazing and pretty popular musician.

Scribble R 2009.07.31 03:30 AM

When you said 'really famous' I thought you meant really famous. I haven't seen Jamie Cullum in a while.

kuro_neko 2009.07.31 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 61252)
In Genjitsu wo Warau =P

uh, no she doesn't.

Scribble R 2009.07.31 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kuro_neko (Post 61266)
uh, no she doesn't.

uh, the secret lies in the "=P"

>_>

justriiingo 2009.07.31 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnoJ (Post 61253)
CDJapan email:
VICL-63376
SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS/6 CDA
2667 yen US$28/96.47 Release Date:2009/09/16
Description:Sixth album release from SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS featuring guests Ringo Shiina and Jamie Cullum.

Fecking awesome :) This could really launch them in the UK, he's an amazing and pretty popular musician.

Firstly... SAPS are already realllly famous in the UK thanks to Gilles Peterson. And I would think that GP is a more credible name to be linked with than Jamie, who's quite brilliant himself but just doesn't quite have the same street cred as GP. They're pretty well-known in Europe as well since they tour there quite a bit! Keep it that way SAPS! Don't get too popular or you'll be needing to hold your lives at San Siro or something next time...

Secondly, if SR were to collaborate with an American artist.... She should replace Axl Rose as the new singer for Guns and Roses! Japanese Democracy yeahhhh!

pariscombo 2009.08.01 12:13 AM

It's time to pay back for S&P Sessions' collaboration on SR's album.

Scribble R 2009.08.01 02:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pariscombo (Post 61304)
It's time to pay back for S&P Sessions' collaboration on SR's album.

:lol:

isxahopas 2009.08.01 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 61291)
Japanese Democracy yeahhhh!

FTW

frecklegirl 2009.08.01 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonnoJ (Post 61253)
Sixth album release from SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS featuring guests Ringo Shiina and Jamie Cullum.

Ooh, I like Jamie Cullum! I saw him at the Hollywood Bowl performing with the LA Philharmonic a couple years ago and it was an amazing performance!

so_cold 2009.08.03 02:18 PM

I think this would be the first time Shiina Ringo's voice would have featured on a physical CD release in Europe. The Casshern soundtrack didn't come out over here as far as I know.

Scribble R 2009.08.03 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by so_cold (Post 61406)
I think this would be the first time Shiina Ringo's voice would have featured on a physical CD release in Europe. The Casshern soundtrack didn't come out over here as far as I know.

=O Next minute she's coming to London! :D

Pamela 2009.08.04 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yahiko (Post 61004)
Japanese jazz band SOIL & "PIMP" SESSION is releasing their new album titled "6" on 9/16. They just announced Shiina Ringo, DJ KENTARO and a really famous UK singer participation on it (it's not clear what is the kind of participation though). It will contain 12 songs and there are plans for world-wide release. The new single "Paraiso" from the album will be available at iTunes on 8/5.

"6"
9/16/2009 release
VICL-63376 ¥2,800(tax in)

hey thanks for sharing the info!

kuro_neko 2009.08.06 12:34 AM

their new track from the album is up on itunes. kind of meh. when they release the album I'll buy the ringo track from itunes and skip the rest.

Orenji 2009.09.07 08:59 AM

tracklist:
  1. SEVEN (Intro Sound Collage by DJ KENTARO)
  2. KEIZOKU
  3. PAPA'S GOT A BRAND NEW PIGBAG
  4. MY FOOLISH HEART ~crazy in mind~
  5. DOUBLE TROUBLE
  6. POP KORN
  7. QUARTZ AND CHRONOMETER
  8. Paraiso
  9. MY FOOLISH HEART ~crazy on earth~ × 椎名林檎 (Shiina Ringo)
  10. MIRROR BOY
  11. "STOLEN MOMENTS" featuring Jamie Cullum
  12. AFTER THE PARTY
  13. 殺戮と平和 (Satsuriku to Heiwa)

previews:

http://www.jvcmusic.co.jp/-/Artist/A018653.html

The 4th track is the instrumental for Ringo's track. Pretty cool, la la la la~

Yahiko 2009.09.07 01:55 PM

WOW I love it!! thanks orenji =))))))))

kuro_neko 2009.09.07 05:20 PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth just a bit...

marcus314 2009.09.07 10:41 PM

oh so Jamie Cullum is who they refer to as a famous UK artist....meh lol

makenshiww 2009.09.08 04:02 PM

Hm, For some reason this link , or the song clips seem to not be working for me.

frecklegirl 2009.09.09 06:45 AM

Are you using Firefox? I usually have to go to IE for those links to WMP clips to work for me. So annoying. If the page itself isn't loading at all for you though, don't know what to tell you!

Yahiko 2009.09.09 08:10 AM

It works fine in Firefox.. are you Mac?

Scribble R 2009.09.09 08:25 AM

I've heard enough "La's" from Shiina to last me a lifetime...

a_grumble_cake 2009.09.10 04:01 AM

yeah I feel like I've heard this song before
I guess it's cute but I stopped caring about songs in this style

JimmyKoria 2009.09.15 05:44 PM

Yeah, the song isn't so great...I admit I just heard 30 seconds of it but I don't really find my self lovin it O:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 61252)
In Genjitsu wo Warau =P

I know I'm almost a month late with this but I so got it XD Usually I'm super slow with this kinda stuff :B

Denitson777 2009.09.17 09:44 PM

ummm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scribble R (Post 62717)
I've heard enough "La's" from Shiina to last me a lifetime...

i agree enough "la's",This song havent hit me yet,we'll see what happens.

frecklegirl 2009.09.22 05:45 AM

Product reviews thread up! News thread now closed :)

>> 6 thread! <<