Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Main Forum (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Shéna or Shiina? (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=168)

Op2 2007.04.27 11:39 AM

Shéna or Shiina?

I know everyone likes to call Ringo with the romanji "Shiina" but, why?
Is it because it's easier to type when finding the Kanji in IME?
I always go by what the artist uses, and Shiina has currently been very consistant lately with Shéna.

In any case, I think it's better to use to romaji the artist provides, such is the reason why we use artist names like 'GO!GO!7188' and 'm.o.v.e'

Since we try to follow Ringo's official track & album romaji, why not follow her name?

Glathannus 2007.04.27 11:55 AM

She hasn't been entirely consistent on the Romaji for her name.

Technically, you can't have true Romaji with accentuated characters. "Shiina" is the proper Romaji of her name, whether or not she chooses to acknowledge it. I also don't like the accentuation because it causes people to think of "Shéna" as a first name instead of a family name.

In my music file tags, I have everything in Kanji (including her name), except to be on a mutual basis of communicating with and understanding other people, I include the Romaji of the tracknames on the end in parenthesis as a bonus (the way tracks are listed in Review board threads). Most people who try to bundle the Kanji and Romaji together, put the Romaji there first, and I think that's a mistake because it messes with the symmetry.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.27 11:56 AM

Because I have a US keyboard and can't type "Shéna" very easily. Plus, the pronunciation of her name, according to her entry on the Japanese wikipedia, is "しいな りんご", which translates to:

し-い-な り-ん-ご
shi-i-na ri-n-go

'Nuff said.

badtzmaru 2007.04.27 12:01 PM

I think she might know that the correct romaji is 'Shiina' but still uses 'Shéna' to be consistent.

But this is why I started to call her Ringo instead of Shiina/Shéna. o_o But then, I guess even 'Ringo' would be wrong, too... @_@;; I'd like to write her name the way she prefers it, but I'm too lazy to copy the 'é' everytime so maybe I'll just call her 'Shena.' :mellow:

Op2 2007.04.27 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 3048)
Technically, you can't have true Romaji with accentuated characters.

What are you talking about?
The Romaji fanatics argue that "true" Romaji only has accentuated characters - or at least the majority.

Here's an example:
Alphabet letter names in Japanese
The list below shows how to spell Latin character words or acronyms in Japanese. For example, NHK is spelled enu-eichi-kei, (エヌエイチケイ).
  • A; ē or ei (エー or エイ)
  • B; (ビー, alternative pronunciation , ベー)
  • C; shī (シー or シィー, sometimes pronounced , スィー)
  • D; (ディー, alternative pronunciation , デー)
  • E; ī (イー)
  • F; efu (エフ)
  • G; (ジー)
  • H; eichi or etchi (エイチ or エッチ)
  • I; ai (アイ)
  • J; or jei (ジェー or ジェイ)
  • K; or kei (ケー or ケイ)
  • L; eru (エル)
  • M; emu (エム)
  • N; enu (エヌ)
  • O; ō (オー)
  • P; (ピー, alternative pronunciation , ペー)
  • Q; kyū (キュー)
  • R; āru (アール)
  • S; esu (エス)
  • T; (ティー, though sometimes pronounced chī, チー, and alternatively pronounced , テー)
  • U; (ユー)
  • V; vi (ヴィ, though often pronounced bui, ブイ)
  • W; daburyū (ダブリュー, often pronounced daburu, ダブル)
  • X; ekkusu (エックス)
  • Y; wai (ワイ)
  • Z; zetto, zeddo, or (ゼット, ゼッド, or ズィー, though sometimes pronounced , ジー)
And ultimately, the correct Romaji of the word is "rōmaji".
This might help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romaji

Nimh 2007.04.27 12:21 PM

I type "Shena" with no accent, because I'm funny that way.

Orenji 2007.04.27 12:44 PM

I love the Shéna Ringö thing, it's funny... :P Even I used to type my nick as "Orréngee", silly me :P.

I always type her name as Shiina Ringo, though.

badtzmaru 2007.04.27 02:34 PM

Despite the accentuated romaji issue, isn't the 'Shéna Ringö' pronunciation incorrect anyway? :huh:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 3048)
She hasn't been entirely consistent on the Romaji for her name.

Really?? :blink: How else has she spelled it?

HEDOfloe 2007.04.27 02:34 PM

I do not really like Shéna. I dont know how to type it in the first place, and also, there isnt a character for she in japanese, so I think Shiina is more fitting. And I agree with Glath that Shéna sounds like a first name when written (typed @_@) like that.

Lena-chan 2007.04.27 02:48 PM

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa~
this thread agaaaaaaaaain!
O________________O