Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Off-Topic (Movies, TV & Other Media) (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Our fav. Videogames (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=162)

golem09 2007.04.26 09:28 AM

Our fav. Videogames

Ok, we got music, films, anime, tv shows and books...
One thing missing!

At the moment I play
-Puzzle Quest
-Dragon Quest7
-Zelda: A Link to the Past
-Heroes of Might and Magic 4 & 5
-Pokemon Red
-Ragnarok Online(just a little bit)
-Lylat Wars(Yeah, finally on Virtual Console. I love my Wii!)

I think my favs are
1. Xenogears
2. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3.Okami
4.Dragon Quest 7
5.Silent Hill

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.26 09:46 AM

I have a lot of games, so I'm not going to list every one I like, but here's a link to my collection profile on a game collecting site:
http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/...der=Collection

Anyway, the games I'm currently playing are:
- Shenmue II
- Guilty Gear X2
- Red Steel
- Pokemon Emerald
- Melty Blood: Act Cadenza
- Simple 2000 Series Vol. 101: The Oneechanpon

Kudos to anyone who recognizes the last two. ;)

justriiingo 2007.04.26 10:25 AM

Brain Age, Trauma Centre and...
DDR! hahahaha!

Maou 2007.04.26 10:36 AM

1. Ninja Gaiden - NES or Xbox, it's all good.
2. Silent Hill - I prefer 1 and 3 over 2, but didn't care for 4 at all.
3. Baldur's Gate/Neverwinter Nights - Lawful Evil, duh.
4. Guitar Hero - So many classics.
5. X-Men Legends - It has Gambit and Jubilee.

Don't take this list to be like an all-time faves thing. This is just what I'm hot on now. I still love classics like Chrono Trigger, Zelda: LttP, Final Fantasy VI, and Tetris. They just aren't fresh in my memory.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.26 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 2889)
1. Ninja Gaiden - NES or Xbox, it's all good.

I'm also a big fan of Ninja Gaiden (only on NES, though...haven't yet had the chance to play the Xbox version). Probably the best action-platformers on NES, IMHO (behind Super Mario Bros, of course).

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 11:36 AM

I was totally gonna post this topic...but like every thread I think of, I never actually make it and wind up posting in the random thread instead =P

Right now I'm all about the Pokemon, let me show them. I haven't been rocketing through the game, but have been obsessively leveling and catching.
(also playing Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Howevva' Pokemon ranks pretty highly on my fav games of all time. But not as high as Tetris and Jet Set Radio. Tetris is the perfect game. I totally wish I coulda thoght of it, it never gets old you never truely beat it, easy to pick up and play. Teris has its own "language" its simple to figure out. Tetris is 'it.' Jet Set Radio (Dreamcast) on the other hand is sorta the opposite end of the spectrum. Jet Set is the first game, in my opinion, to truely achieve a unique audiovisual style for itself. JSR was fun and all, but wat really grabs you is the style, the music, the scenario, etc. Even if it was a tv show, rather than a game, I'd watch it. I bought an xbox solel for the sequel (Jet Set Radio Future) and I still think it was worth it (plus, Xbox eventually got Panzer Dragoon and Shenmue)

Im sure I'll return to this thread many many times to blather on about games.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.04.26 11:49 AM

Currently Playing:

Gears of War (I think I might marry this game online... until Halo 3)
Guitar Hero 2
Crackdown
Call of Duty 3
Viva Pinata
Farcry Instincts Predator (This game can last forever online, what with the extensive level editor. Some of the level designs are truly innovative. People create new game types, even things like racing levels. Not anything new to a PC player playing with mods, but it's refreshing for a console game).

I have a Wii but I haven't took it out of it's box in about a month. I love the system, but it has a serious lack of games coming out and absolutely no amazing exclusives currently out. Almost every new game announcement is a cheap PS2 or even PSP port with tacked on motion controls which just makes the console look like a gimmick - something which I know it isn't. I know a lot of owners that are losing serious interest.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 12:15 PM

Zelda, Excitetruck, Super Paper Mario, Wario Ware, WiiSports say hi. (and all exclusive, except Zelda in a mild way.) >_>

Mr. Go-mahn 2007.04.26 12:25 PM

Rockman 3, 2, X, and probably more.
Super Metroid
DDR
Zelda, either Link's Awakening, or TP, or Oot, or A link to the past... can't decide.
Super Mario Bros 3
Yoshi's Island
One of the Castlevanias, probably IV or Symphony

I could go on but I won't. I don't even think that's in the right order as my favorites always fluctuate. Rockman will always be up there though. Always.

-edit- Snap. I forgot Earthbound! That's my favorite "by the book" rpg and really the only one of it's kind I enjoy playing.

golem09 2007.04.26 12:35 PM

Oh, the hell? I forgot about Tetris!
I don't think I played any gamer longer than this one, (Well maybe except Ragnarok Online, but time doesn't count there^^)
Tetris Online for the DS was like a gift from the heavens for me. It's pure gameplay straight from the mind to the screen. This is...wow
We have to share friends codes for that game TJ! (Well, I hope you own it for DS =o)

And I actually liked Okami more than Twilight Princess o.O

And what is DDR?

Glathannus 2007.04.26 12:36 PM

Favorites:
Xenogears (PS1)
Fallout 2 (PC)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Vagrant Story (PS1)
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin (PC)
Secret of Mana (SNES)
Disgaea (PS2)
Half-Life: Team Fortress Classic (PC)
Pax Imperia: Eminent Domain (PC)
Soul Calibur III (PS2)
Kirby's Avalanche (SNES)
Dungeon Keeper 2 (PC)

Games I'm in the middle of right now:
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)
Almost all the way through and can't figure out how to finish it

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (PS2)
Maybe a third or half the way through. I'm not stuck, but I really ought to finish some other games I started on first.

Rule of Rose (PS2)
Maybe halfway through

Final Fantasy X (PS2)
I've spent too much time in Blitzball and the Monster Arena and haven't actually beaten it. I could probably clear the final dungeon in five minutes if I wanted to, but the characters annoy the hell out of me whenever storyline ensues.

Supreme Commander (PC)
Haven't had a lot of time for this game. I've gone most of the way through the Cybran campaign and I'm loving them game-mechanically and philosophically

Hitman Contracts (PC)
I've been rarely touching this game but do intend to beat it. It's just not as epic as Silent Assassin was. I figure by the time I finally get around to finishing this, Blood Money will be cheap.

Xenosaga Episode I (PS2)
I lost my saved game for a COMPLETED game, and had to start over. I'd really like to move on to Episode's II and III (which I've owned all this time and haven't even opened yet), but I hate this fucking game. Great music, but retarded characters, and mediocre gameplay. Almost a complete disappointment compared to Xenogears.

Disgaea 2 (PS2)
I have a ninja in the thousands of levels and still no felonies - I haven't bothered to go past Chapter ONE yet!

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 2899)
And I actually liked Okami more than Twilight Princess o.O

And what is DDR?

Dance Dance Revolution. Which i was pretty good at at one point.

As for Okami, yeah I hear alot of jaded game nerds say Okami was better. It maaybe had better art style,and it might just be because you know what you're getting with Zelda whereas Okami was different. Okami was a good game, I don't quite think its superior to TP (even if TP isn't the strongest, or maybe even the weakest, of the 3d Zeldas).

golem09 2007.04.26 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 2902)
Dance Dance Revolution. Which i was pretty good at at one point.

Oh right, I always forget about that acronym. The only music games I ever played were Amplitude and Donkey Konga(4 pals and 4 bongos = one hell of a party!)
I loved them both

Maou 2007.04.26 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 2900)
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne (PS2)

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner (PS2)

Final Fantasy X (PS2)

Xenosaga Episode I (PS2)

I honestly think the SMT series is the best console RPG series ever created. It's easily my favorite game world and the battle system is great. I prefer Digital Devil Saga and Persona over the most recent Devil Summoner as far as the spin-off games are concerned.

Final Fantasy X is the most underrated game in the series. I loved the setting, the characters (Wakka, ya!?) and the battle system. I really don't see how people can use the "cinematic movie" thing as a negative. I mean, everybody loves FFVI and it had just as many story breaks as X. FFXII is the real borefest of the series.

I hate Xenosaga.

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 2903)
Oh right, I always forget about that acronym. The only music games I ever played were Amplitude and Donkey Konga(4 pals and 4 bongos = one hell of a party!)
I loved them both

I highly recommend the Guitar Hero games. Two pals and two guitars is equally as awesome as Konga.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 2904)
Final Fantasy X is the most underrated game in the series. I loved the setting, the characters (Wakka, ya!?) and the battle system. I really don't see how people can use the "cinematic movie" thing as a negative. I mean, everybody loves FFVI and it had just as many story breaks as X. FFXII is the real borefest of the series.

Oh Maou, :(

(espescially the Wakka thing, wtf >=P :lol:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 2904)
I hate Xenosaga.

Well, I guess I cant stay mad at you...:wub::lol:

cjhobbies00 2007.04.26 01:04 PM

No vote for FFVI and Chrono Trigger???? Come on!

And throw in a vote for super puzzle fighter Turbo!

Maou 2007.04.26 01:17 PM

^ There are at least two mentions of FFVI and Chrono Trigger.

Anyway, what's wrong with FFX, Jihad? Do you actually prefer the set-a-Gambit and let the game play itself system that is FFXII? Of course, I'm not saying X is the best (VI and IV for me), but it's still not nearly as bad as the world makes it out to be.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 01:42 PM

After X and XI, and with how XIII looks to be shaping up, I am not at all compelled to plunk down cash on XII. Im sure I will one day, cuz I'm just a completionist (hence XI.) I personally give my FF love to IX.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inaudible-Whisper (Post 2896)
I have a Wii but I haven't took it out of it's box in about a month. I love the system, but it has a serious lack of games coming out and absolutely no amazing exclusives currently out. Almost every new game announcement is a cheap PS2 or even PSP port with tacked on motion controls which just makes the console look like a gimmick - something which I know it isn't. I know a lot of owners that are losing serious interest.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou
I highly recommend the Guitar Hero games. Two pals and two guitars is equally as awesome as Konga.

Guitar Hero III - Wii !
http://wii.ign.com/articles/783/783421p1.html

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.04.26 02:08 PM

I'll give you Super Paper Mario, but it ain't out in England yet. The rest are good, but not amazing (Zelda isn't exclusive). Wii Sports has the most longevity, and it was free. The rest of the ports/mini game games/good games I'm now done with and sick of. The most underrated Wii game I have is Tony Hawks Downhill Jam. Serious fun with 4 players, and the courses are huge when you take into account all of the shortcuts and numerous ways down the track. Still... I completed it in 3 days, and the multiplayer lasted me no more than a fortnight.

If I had it [The Wii] set up, I'd probably still have the odd game of Wii Tennis or Bowling or Wario Ware with my housemates... but they're not worth the hassle of setting up the console for a brief play. They seriously need some online gaming soon. The Virtual Console is of no interest to me. I'd rather just play on my 360 til some more decent Wii games come along. Looking at a vague release schedule, I might be waiting a while.

As for Final Fantasy, I agree with Maou about Final Fantasy X being highly underrated. I might even say it is my third favourite after VII and VI.

As for Guitar Hero 3, I'm looking forward to it but they've pretty much admitted that they're just releasing pretty much annual disks of songs a la Singstar, with little to no innovation involved (Though the Wii may add some kind of motion control...). I don't understand why they don't just stick with downloadable content which would work (And is working) fine for the 360 and the PS3. Obviously the Wii doesn't have enough space for disks worth of songs, but it should have it's own unique game anyway with the controller, not another standard port.

Rock Band is where it's at. The original creators of Guitar Hero, Harmonix, have left the Guitar Hero project (Being replaced with Neversoft - the Tony Hawks creators, of all people) to have creative freedom over their new game Rock Band which is pretty much Guitar Hero but with a whole band. Yes, that means you can have your friends over playing drums, guitar, bass and singing. And the current Guitars will work so you'll only have to shell out for the drums and Mic's and even then, you can just use it as a Guitar game, upgrading at your own pace.

Edit: Just checked your link Tokyo Jihad. The Wii Guitar Hero 3 looks nice... but I'm much more looking forward to a Wii Rock Band (Thought it was 360/PS3 exclusive) simply for some Wii Remote drumming love!

Lena-chan 2007.04.26 02:15 PM

this is old and mainstream, but here we go

pokemon (every game O_O except for that bizarre Picachoo's adventure for snes)
every mario/yoshi game for snes (including yoshi cookies)
earthbound
worms
pump it up
every donkey kong for snes
donkey konga
tekken 3
rayearth rpg for snes
tenchi muyo rpg for snes
tetris
puzzle bubble
every zelda for gameboy
every go game for snes(O.o this is so random)
sentimental shooting (XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD I'm serious)

well...it's a shame. I didn't have time to play so much games in my life
but I think one of my objectives is to be a game/anime/manga/japanese culture studious
hm... I guess if you show me any colorful/happy/fun/snes-like thing I will like it the most

Jer 2007.04.26 03:19 PM

Street Fighter 2 is classic
Puzzle Bobble games
Kirby games
SaGa Frontier/Romancing SaGa games
Final Fantasy games with the Tactics/XII and VII/X series being my two favourites
Lumines games
Castlevania games
Pokemon games
Soul Calibur games
And some random stuff I suppose. I'm not a very heavy gamer, heh.

HEDOfloe 2007.04.26 06:35 PM

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy XII are my favs. Super Smash Brothers is my fav multiplayer game of all time

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.26 06:41 PM

who do you play in SSBM?
I play Luigi.

HEDOfloe 2007.04.26 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 2950)
who do you play in SSBM?
I play Luigi.

My fav is Marth, but I think I am best with Sheik, although I think I have gotten just as good with Marth now.

Kasanagi 2007.04.26 07:36 PM

Does SR music somehow attracts gamers?

Here be my list:
- Tekken 5 DR
- Soul Calibur (I & II only, III is the devil)
- FF6 (The Opera scene + Kefka > FF8-12 )
- FF7(materia > FF8 - 12 )
- FF12 (no random encounter > FF8 - 10)
- Chrono trigger (Magnus!!!!!!!!1111)
- Splinter cells series
- Hitman blood money
- Lemmings!
- Zelda ocarina of time
- Tales of Phantasia on SNES
- Machines! on DOS
- Did I say Tekken?
I would play guitar hero... but I'm left handed....:(

Maou 2007.04.26 08:10 PM

^ Well, I know it's less comfortable, but there is a lefty flip available in Guitar Hero.

Also, DoA4 > any other 3D fighting game.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.26 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 2900)
Rule of Rose (PS2)
Maybe halfway through

Is that any good? It looked interesting, but I'd rather not shell out $40 before trying it and/or hearing what a few people who've played it think (and I can't find it to rent for the life of me...).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 2924)
Picachoo's adventure for snes

...what? Do you mean "Hey You, Pikachu!" for N64? Cause yeah, that was really gimmicky and random.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lena-chan (Post 2924)
including yoshi cookies

That is a damn good puzzle game! I've had it for years. :)

Kasanagi 2007.04.26 08:46 PM

^ If > means more boobs than any other 3D fighting game, then yes.:wub:

golem09 2007.04.26 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 2950)
who do you play in SSBM?
I play Luigi.

I'm stuck to Zelda since the olf Smash Brothers for N64...

And for the FF talk: I played 7,9,10 and 12. From them my favourite is 7. And I really don't like FF12. I played it for about 10 hours, then I set it aside for about 2-3 months, played a bit up to 30-40 hours and now... I would have to force myself to play it.
I think I will play Dragon Quest 7 again sometime... Better than any FF ^^

ChickShhh 2007.04.27 12:11 AM

Super Mario (Gameboy)
Tetris (Gameboy)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Bio Hazard Series
Street Fighter Series
Grandia Series
Metal Slug Series
Rockman Series

*wait*
I bought Dreamcast because of Jet Set Radio
I bought Xbox because of Jet Set Radio Future
I even owned the 2 soundtracks
So what's next

*WAIT*
ALL TIME FAVOURITE: http://www.konami.jp/am/bishion/

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.27 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 2953)
My fav is Marth, but I think I am best with Sheik, although I think I have gotten just as good with Marth now.

heh, so yer one of those guys. :P

When Brawl comes out...

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.27 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 2963)
Also, DoA4 > any other 3D fighting game.

whaaaaaaat :whacko:

golem09 2007.04.27 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 2995)
When Brawl comes out...

Hell, I would even buy it if it was only SSBM + Online

Maou 2007.04.27 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasanagi (Post 2967)
^ If > means more boobs than any other 3D fighting game, then yes.:wub:

Clearly you haven't played DoA4 if you have to bring the boobs into the equation. Every DoA game greatly improves its mechanics over the previous game and 4 is worthy of being called great. It's not a button masher, it's not shallow, and it's the best balanced.

HEDOfloe 2007.04.27 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 2978)
I'm stuck to Zelda since the olf Smash Brothers for N64... ^^

You mean Link? Since zelda was not introduced until the Gamecube version

HEDOfloe 2007.04.27 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 2995)
heh, so yer one of those guys. :P

What is that supposed to mean? I'm not into the whole smash bros. culture that has been built online so I do not do any tricks if that is what you are referring to.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.27 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickShhh (Post 2980)
Grandia Series

Undoubtedly my favorite RPG series of all time. It's not very often I see other people who know much about it.

As for Final Fantasy, I like IV, V, and VIII (as those are the ones I've put serious time into), and I also own III (DS version), VII, and I & II: Dawn of Souls, which I expect to like because they're before IX (I kind of lost interest in the series after VIII).

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.27 09:15 AM

See, you guys really gotta play FFIX, it really balances good "production values" with great gameplay. I played all the FF's except 5 and 6 *gasp* (and 12), im still working through 3 .

Hedo, yeah Marth and Shiek are considered 2 of the 3 "top tier" characters in SSBM (the third, and imo most dominant being Fox.) At one poin in time, I used to be good w/ Marth, and I can still scrape out a win with him (I also play a mean Zelda (not Shiek)-but Luigis my 1337est)

golem09 2007.04.27 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 3009)
You mean Link? Since zelda was not introduced until the Gamecube version

O
M
G

I just HATE it, if people are mixing these two names up. And now I did it myself. (Kill me please)
I use LINK! LINK!

Nimh 2007.04.27 10:27 AM

Am I the only one who likes Grand Theft Auto?

Others:

--Half-Life 2
--Any RTS

I only do PC gaming now, just got sick of consoles. But while I had a console, I dug Burnout, Knights of the Old Republic, and Soul Caliber.

Still don't have much time to game at all these days.

golem09 2007.04.27 10:49 AM

I played some Vice City, but I hated the style of San Adreas. GTA2 is still my fav from all these games.

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.04.27 11:24 AM

I never put my all time favourites down, just the favourites I'm currently playing or else I would have most certainly have had GTA down as it is one of, if not my top franchise.

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.27 12:00 PM

GTA can be fun for a while, but it gets old really fast for me. :\

HEDOfloe 2007.04.27 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats (Post 3050)
GTA can be fun for a while, but it gets old really fast for me. :\

Yes! I do not like the story, subject matter, but the freedom you get is amazing. Although I do not like playing it.

Jonny 2007.04.27 02:31 PM

I don't really play games anymore but here's a few off the top of my head...

Kick-off 2

The Last Ninja series

The Great Giana Sisters

Deus Ex

It came from the desert

Gravity Force
XD

Virtua Tennis (hey, I met + interviewed the producer at Tokyo Gameshow! He's a woman!)

The Secret of Monkey Island (This is THE best game, ever. Rumour has it this game was based on the same theme park rollercoaster ride as the movie series Pirates of the Caribbean, (but way ahead of course).)

I had to stop somewhere.

Lena-chan 2007.04.27 03:12 PM

@ C5B: no, when pokemon begins to be popular here, there was this Picachoo snes game that probably came from Paraguay, it's these adventure games that you go always to the right side of screen, and it was terrible >_<
I think it's have 5 or 6 levels

and OMG almost forget to mention SSB(meelee or 64)(I use a lot of characters, just luv all, but the last time I used Mewtwo) and lemmings
I luv these games O.O
and I like that PS2 game that I don't remember the name, with naruto, DB and OP characters (always use luffy, he is teh best)

Jonny 2007.04.27 03:21 PM

Um yeah I forgot Half-Life, CS, C&C, and lots more... :-P

badtzmaru 2007.04.27 03:58 PM

Ahh, my favorite character in SSB is Pikachu!! >_< Although I used Peach a lot when Melee came out. OMG, I need to get a Wii before the next SSB comes out. T_T But, I haven't played video games in so long... >_< I also love the Mario Karts and Mario Parties. (I always use Peach for these games. :D) I'm a Nintendo fan, so I've only ever owned Nintendo consoles,* with the exception of Sega Genesis. (I think I had one, at least?? @_@) But then, I never had a lot of games anyway since I was really young then. =_=;; I think my favorite console* was the Nintendo 64 because I played video games the most during that time.

The only RPG I've completed (and then, I even had help when it came to the scary parts =_=) was Zelda: OoT. (Oh, and Super Mario 64, if that counts as an RPG o_O I finished this one by myself! XD) And speaking of this game--I'm going to ask this here too, Golem XD--does the piano solo in "Keshou Naoshi" remind anyone of the fairy fountain? :huh:

Ahh, I've wanted to play Marvel VS Capcom for the longest time!! T_T X-Men Legends is so boring, I don't even play it anymore. =_=

*By the way--this must be my 100th time asking this, but what's the difference between a system/console/platform? :mellow: Does anyone know, or are they not even related at all?

Maou 2007.04.27 04:06 PM

^ X-Men Legends is awesome if it's multiplayer. All hack-n-slash games are boring when you play single player.

badtzmaru 2007.04.27 04:22 PM

I dunno, I got frustrated more because people kept pushing the screen all over the place. :mellow: (I haven't played many multiplayer RPGs. :unsure:)

I still haven't unlocked Psylocke yet (the reason I bought the game in the first place), but I can't seem to force myself to play it. >_<

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.27 04:37 PM

I loved GTA San Andreas cuz thats how I roll, holmes. B)
(didnt like the others)

golem09 2007.04.27 05:24 PM

We need some SSBM Online Multiplayer in here...
and maybe a Pokemon Thread

CatchFiveBats 2007.04.27 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 3068)
Deus Ex

That's a really good one. Sadly, I sold my copy on PS2 (although I do have Invisible War on Xbox, which is also pretty good).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 3104)
I loved GTA San Andreas cuz thats how I roll, holmes. B)
(didnt like the others)

I played the crap out of Vice City, but I enjoyed all of them about equally (San Andreas was the only one I didn't own...I played it to death during a weekend rental and didn't feel the need to buy it afterwards).

Kasanagi 2007.04.27 08:29 PM

Quote:

Clearly you haven't played DoA4 if you have to bring the boobs into the equation. Every DoA game greatly improves its mechanics over the previous game and 4 is worthy of being called great. It's not a button masher, it's not shallow, and it's the best balanced.
Played it, didn't like it. More of a Tekken man myself. If you want balance go play VF4, its as good as chess I tell ya. DOA is like the fighting game equalvient of the girl who got herself a boob job for the attention, the mechanic is so...simply. Tell me you don't think "Boob" when some one mention DOA :D, thats exactly what Temco wants people to focus on, not how great the game mechanic is, but how awsome it is when each breast bounces on its own seperately...

GTA:SA = awsome

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.27 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badtzmaru (Post 3093)
*By the way--this must be my 100th time asking this, but what's the difference between a system/console/platform? :mellow: Does anyone know, or are they not even related at all?

In the world of non-pc video games, any of the three can be used interchangeably to mean the same thing (the machine used to play a certain game). Console is generally most used today, platform being a bit rarer I guess.
In PC games tho, platform almost explicitly means what OS, what hard/soft/firmware are supported, etc.

zarya 2007.04.28 04:12 AM

Jonny: I think the link for one of your pictures in your big post on the other page has changed, because senior gay porn doesn't sound like a videogame.

I'm not that much of a gamer honestly, I get tired of games very easily and if it has a long storyline usually I won't finish it. My favorite genre is music games, especially if there's jpop involved.

My favorites of all time:
- FF7
- Parappa the rapper
- Tetris (the one with the inverted R and the russian music!)
- Sid Meier's Alpha Centaury
- DDR (especially 4th mix), Guitar Freaks and Drummania

Currently playing:
- Cake Mania (DS)
- Osu! Otateke! Ouendan! (DS)
- Resident Evil 1 (DS)
- World of Warcraft with the expansion (just got into it again)
- Club House Games (DS), especially the Koi-Koi game.
My DS was actually the first console I ever bought, I used to play on the family consoles and now my boyfriend and our roommate have all the systems I could dream of playing.

Jonny 2007.04.28 04:18 AM

zarya: That can be touchy to some perhaps... but once you get the hang of it there's no end to it. But yeah that was hilarious.

zarya 2007.04.28 04:28 AM

It's just that... porn I don't want to look at for breakfast... no thanks ^^

Tokyo Jihad 2007.04.28 07:35 AM

Porn! It's whats for breakfast!

(lets make that Zarya or Muggs tag! ^_^)

badtzmaru 2007.04.28 06:19 PM

I'm glad I don't know what happened... :mellow:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 3133)
In the world of non-pc video games, any of the three can be used interchangeably to mean the same thing (the machine used to play a certain game). Console is generally most used today, platform being a bit rarer I guess.
In PC games tho, platform almost explicitly means what OS, what hard/soft/firmware are supported, etc.

Ohh, I see now!! Thank you for explaining it to me! I think the people I asked didn't know the answer and just never answered me... -_-

Maou 2007.04.30 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kasanagi (Post 3131)
Played it, didn't like it. More of a Tekken man myself. If you want balance go play VF4, its as good as chess I tell ya.

I'm already a heavy VF player. I play as Aoi mainly because she plays more defensively than other characters. VF4 and 5 are less balanced than DoA4. And you're wrong about VF being chess. If anything, DoA is more like chess because high level play relies much more on head games than VF which relies more reaction.

S_p_h_y 2007.05.01 01:31 PM

Just Final Fantasy VII

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.01 03:51 PM

Play more games then, Sphy =P

Maou 2007.05.01 06:18 PM

Methinks Bioshock might be a new favorite when it comes out. The water in the game is sexy.

golem09 2007.05.05 10:51 PM

I started to play Project Zero (Fatal Frame int the US) at 4am and it scared the shit out of me.
Then I went to bed for my usual 20 minutes and suffered from the worst nightmare I ever had.
I was awake and couldn't sleep, but then at some point I thought:"Oh, no, I just fell asleep... and I almost know what's coming"
Yeah right, I was that scary mansion and some guy(not a ghost) took notice of me in an instant and began to beat me up. I knew this was a dream, but the pain in my stomache felt so real and I couldn't do anything about it. Then the guy yelled at my that it was my fault if the ghosts would find us. So they did find us, I was scared to death and woke up. Only to notice that a huge white kimono hung in my room and as soon as I focused it something scary was approaching me. Then I woke up. I thought so. Instead of that the last scene repeated itself a few times with some breaks in which I was really awake I think but turned to half-sleep so fast that I couldn't take my eyes of that damn kimono. In this breaks I was thinking about this weird dream and that I was so happy that it stopped.

This was terrible.
(But I think I will play the game again:D)

I think this nightmare was caused by my exaggerated sugar consumption between 11pm and 1am.

Nimh 2007.05.06 03:03 PM

Fatal Frame is creepy as hell. I played the Xbox Fatal Frame 2 where you can make it all POV. Absolutely frightening.

fluffiethesock 2007.05.06 10:11 PM

1) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness --> greatest game of all time... and to think I only wanted it because the art style looked cool ( I like cartoony videogames ) --> PS2
2) Final Fantasy IX, VII, and VI (I can't decide for sure, but the order I put them in is basically the closest I can come up with)
3) Counter-Strike: Source (pc) --> so very addicting. I think this is the game I've spent the most time playing.
4) We <3 Katamari / Katamari Damacy (<3 is slightly better than Damacy) (PS2)
5) Warlords (for the original Atari system. This game was extremely amazing, and that's mostly due to the many glitches it had. FUN times..)
6) Battletoads and Double Dragon (for SNES --> lots of glitches in this game too.. they made it so hilarious. I can only play it when using a Game Genie for infinity lives though, and it has to be on 2-player with the ability to kill each other)
7) Starcraft / Broodwar (pc)
8) Disgaea 2 (The story was pretty bad in comparison to the first, but the gameplay was definitely swell) (PS2)
9) Secret of Mana (SNES)
10) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Gameboy) --> In my opinion, no Zelda game could ever live up to this one.
11) Escape Velocity / EV Override (originally for Macintosh)

golem09 2007.05.07 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock (Post 4120)
1) Disgaea: Hour of Darkness --> greatest game of all time... and to think I only wanted it because the art style looked cool ( I like cartoony videogames ) --> PS2

I don't know if I should play this. I have never played a strategy RPg before...

And Secret of Mana is also one of my favs. I'm listening to the soundtrack right now. Damn, I have to convince one of my friends to play this with me again.

fluffiethesock 2007.05.07 08:21 AM

You definitely need to play Disgaea, golem. Well, you don't need to, but it is truly amazing and I think anyone would enjoy it if they've ever enjoyed any aspect of being alive. I actually never really liked strategy RPGs until Nippon Ichi started releasing a bunch of them in America. Disgaea 2's battle system was a bit smoother than Disgaea's, but this game has a better cast of characters and a funnier story.

Pleigh!

golem09 2007.05.07 10:24 AM

I still have so much to play...
I think I'll finally finish Dragon Warrior/Quest 7 (a WOW game, play it Ô_o)

Maybe after that I'll try out Disgaea

Problem is, I still have to play
Chrono Trigger
FF12
ff8
FF6
FF Tactics
Persona
Persona 2
Dragon Quest 8
Zelda A Link to the Pat

And this week I will buy Phoenix Wright
Not to forget that I'm playing Pokémon Red again!

But I know this list is nothing compared to what Glath has to play...

freshevryday 2007.05.07 01:37 PM

Metal Gear Solid :wub:(all of 'em)

HEDOfloe 2007.05.07 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 4192)
I still have so much to play...
I think I'll finally finish Dragon Warrior/Quest 7 (a WOW game, play it Ô_o)

Maybe after that I'll try out Disgaea

Problem is, I still have to play
Chrono Trigger
FF12
ff8
FF6
FF Tactics
Persona
Persona 2
Dragon Quest 8
Zelda A Link to the Pat

And this week I will buy Phoenix Wright
Not to forget that I'm playing Pokémon Red again!

But I know this list is nothing compared to what Glath has to play...

Final fantasy XII is the best rpg ever! I have been a huge fan of FFVII my whole life, and still am, but I can't say that it is better than XII. Play that one first ^_^

golem09 2007.05.07 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HEDOfloe (Post 4252)
Final fantasy XII is the best rpg ever! I have been a huge fan of FFVII my whole life, and still am, but I can't say that it is better than XII. Play that one first ^_^

I already play that game since it was published in the US last year. I have to force myself to play it, it doesn't attract me at all. I like FF7 a lot more.
But both are no match for Xenogears or Dragon Warrior 7^_^

fluffiethesock 2007.05.08 07:50 AM

I tried pretty hard to get into FF12, but it didn't cause the twinkle in my eye like the other ones have done in the past.

Here's my list of games I've started but have yet to complete:

1) Final Fantasy V (I've been playing this game for about 10 years)
2) Lunar 2: Eternal Blue (I bought this game for $70 at Best Buy and played non-stop. Two weeks later, I saw it at Best Buy for $25. I was so upset that I stopped playing and never went back to it)
3) Vagrant Story
4) Breath of Fire III (I got pretty far into this one)
5) Breath of Fire I, II, and IV (yeah, I started all of them. I got pretty far into the first two as well.. I probably should have concentrated on one and then gone on to the others, but I was in love with the series at the time and thought I'd beat the first four all at once)
6) Parasite Eve (one of my first PS games.. I actually thought I sold it until I found it just now. I got near the end and then my memory card got erased. I'll likely never touch that jawn again)
7) Star Ocean: The Second Story (didn't get too far, but I heard it was really good)
8) Dragon Warrior VII (I don't want to talk about it)
9) Xenogears
10) Chrono Cross (I got within the last two or three hours of the game, but I stopped playing for about 2 months. When I came back to it, I had no idea where I was. I checked strategy guides and walkthroughs, but with the whole time-travel system, I didn't even know what planet I should be on at that part of the game. Oh well.. Ahh, that reminds me,)
11) Chrono Trigger (I got really far into this game too. I was playing it as a ROM, but it always froze when I got to a certain part. I never bought the actual game.. but maybe I will someday, because it was actually pretty fun)
12) Final Fantasy Tactics
13) Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance (I liked this game a lot, but I ALWAYS fell asleep while playing it. So I just gave up.)
14) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (I was so excited to buy this one, but once I got it I played it for about 20 minutes.)
15) Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance II (I beat the first one, but kinda forgot that I had this one after playing four 4 or 5 hours)
16) Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (Bought it, played for an hour, let my friend borrow it, got it back after a year, never touched it again)
17) Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana (I think I liked this game.. I'm pretty sure I played it for 5 or 10 hours (nothing in-between, mind you! It was either 5 or 10))
18) Xenosaga (uhhh)
19) Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland (One day last year, I suddenly had to urge to play a farm simulation RPG. Just like that. I couldn't sleep until I owned Harvest Moon. I was quite proud of myself for having fun without killing mass amounts of people. I even showed my mom to impress her, but I think she thought it was boring. I played for 10 or so hours. Then never again.)
20) Shadow Madness (This game was my worst nightmare. I felt disgusting while playing it (it's for PS1, by the way), and my battle with the game lasted for 4 years before I finally sold it. You had to keep switching between disc 1 and 2 late in the game, and after quitting and letting the game accumulate dust for 10 months or so, I completely lost my place. I vowed to vanquish that beast, but alas, I could not. I might buy it again someday.)
21) Shadow of the Colossus (I asked for this game a couple Christmas(pl) ago. As soon as I started playing, I lost all interest. My brother played 15 hours of it for me though.)
22) RPG Maker (PS1) (Haha, I made an awesome RPG on this beast. It was actually really good... I had spent probably close to 35 or 40 hours working on my game, and it had maybe 15 minutes of playtime to it. Then my brother's friend came over, stole my memory card, and moved out of the state. He actually came back years later and claimed he didn't know what I was talking about. It took me quite some time to get over that incident.)
23) Legend of Legaia (My friend let me borrow this one. I got pretty far, but I reached a really tough boss that I aim never to fight again. I should probably find a way to get this game back to him...)
24) Warcraft III
25) Half-Life
26) Silent Hill 3
27) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
28) Dragon Quest VIII
29) Final Fantasy XI, Ragnarok Online (I played 15 hours of FF11 and somewhere around 60 of iRO. Time wasted!)

This list is getting depressing, so I'm just going to stop now. It's sad to think that I've played 200+ hours of games that I'll never finish (not including the MMORPGs). And this list didn't even include games that I still want to play. Most of which I'll never complete. :(

Tokyo Jihad 2007.05.08 08:00 AM

Star Ocean (2) is worth finishing, i really thought that was a good game. And you gotta play more in either FFT game (id recommend Advance just cuz of portability.) Trigger, definitely play through more, Cross you can skip tho! =p Zelda LTTP you gotta beat too, best Zelda.

Drop Xenosaga like a bad habit. You can drop 'Gears too if you'd rather play a game than read a book (unless the story rerally grabbed you, but from the sounds of it, it didn't.) Star Ocean 3 is pretty drop-worthy.

ophy 2007.05.08 08:38 AM

In no particular order:

The entire Silent Hill series
The fatal frame series
Xenogears
FFVII
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne
FFXII
Parasite Eve
Katamari Damacy
Okami
Disgaea
FFIX
SaGa anything, except for Unlimited. That game blew.

Hmm... I have more. Let me think later ;O

golem09 2007.05.08 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad (Post 4288)
Drop Xenosaga like a bad habit. You can drop 'Gears too if you'd rather play a game than read a book (unless the story rerally grabbed you, but from the sounds of it, it didn't.) Star Ocean 3 is pretty drop-worthy.

I love both games, gears certainly more than saga. And I really liked the fighting mechanics of Gears and saga ep II. Not to mention, that the story of both games is almost unbeatable.

CatchFiveBats 2007.05.08 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freshevryday (Post 4207)
Metal Gear Solid :wub:(all of 'em)

QFT.

Probably one of the best game series in the history of games, ever. I actually wasn't too fond of 3 (the lack of radar raped me something horrible), but 1/Twin Snakes and 2 were ungodly awesome.

Jonny 2007.05.08 11:41 PM

fluffiesocks - you should complete Half-life.

golem09 2007.05.09 01:22 AM

even more important half life 2

redstuff 2007.05.09 06:25 AM

So I'm replaying Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and eventually I make it to the Matador fight. Anyone who's played the game knows what a pain in the ass this guy is. And after fighting him for a while he's basically managed to wipe out my entire party except for the hero...even all my reserve demons are dead. So I saw "screw it" and just have the hero attack. And then...the Matador dies. Don't you just love game moments like that?

The game takes place in a post-apocalyptic Tokyo and incidentally, the dungeon I'm in now is in Kabukicho. I also think the Marunouchi area is part of the world map, but I probably won't get there until much later.

fluffiethesock 2007.05.09 08:30 AM

Yeah, I'll probably beat the two Half-Life games sometime. The multiplayer is fun enough, so adding a story to it (and a good one at that, from what I hear) should make it pretty crazy.

And MGS3.. I loved that game. I was always awful at hiding in any of the Metal Gear Solid games, so the lack of radar didn't affect me. I usually just ended up running through the jungle, getting caught, and shooting everything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by redstuff (Post 4381)
So I'm replaying Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne

I was thinking about getting that game when it came out. Is it worth it? Then again, I don't know if it'd be a good idea for me to get another RPG...

Jonny 2007.05.09 10:58 AM

I borrowed the DS game Phoenix Wright for my DS lite from a friend. I haven't yet played it actually. I really never play games anymore. Okay I had a few rounds of CZ the last few days. :-P

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.05.09 11:22 AM

w00t at the announcement of a DS Final Fantasy IV remake in 3D!

Maou 2007.05.10 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redstuff (Post 4381)
So I'm replaying Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne and eventually I make it to the Matador fight. Anyone who's played the game knows what a pain in the ass this guy is. And after fighting him for a while he's basically managed to wipe out my entire party except for the hero...even all my reserve demons are dead. So I saw "screw it" and just have the hero attack. And then...the Matador dies. Don't you just love game moments like that?

The Matador, like the rest of the game, is easy with the right setup. Just use Uzume and other Force immune devils. Just remember to buff yourself properly.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fluffiethesock (Post 4408)
I was thinking about getting that game when it came out. Is it worth it? Then again, I don't know if it'd be a good idea for me to get another RPG...

SMT is the best console RPG series ever. If you do buy it, don't give up on it quickly. There is an extreme difficulty/learning curve for new players of the series. You might want to start with the Digital Devil Saga games first to ease yourself into the SMT gameplay style.

golem09 2007.05.10 10:57 AM

I plan on playing Person in the next months. What other SMT titles are available in the US?

Maou 2007.05.10 12:00 PM

The only SMT games released in America that I can remember are:

SMT3: Nocturne
Revelations - Persona
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army
Digital Devil Saga

There's a couple Pokemon-esque Game Boy games as well. It's a shame Atlus never released the PSX/GBA ports of SMT, SMTII, SMT If... and Persona 2: Innocent Sin.

golem09 2007.05.10 12:25 PM

So I as a non japanese speaker won't have the oppurtunity to really get into this series? I guess so

Maou 2007.05.10 12:32 PM

You can. Most of the titles are stand alone stories anyway so all you would miss is a few vague references. You can fully enjoy most of them. Here are the ones that connect:

Persona => Persona 2: IS => Persona 2: Eternal Punishment - Playing IS isn't vital even though it's really good. All the important stuff is covered in EP.

Digital Devil Saga => DDS2

SMT => SMT2

golem09 2007.05.10 03:29 PM

And what about Persona 3?
Well, I have really WAY TO MUCH to play now that I'm buying a new PC. I have to catch up about 5 years of PC gaming history...

Maou 2007.05.10 04:39 PM

As far as I know Persona 3 only has a few minor cameos and the story isn't connected to the other games. In fact, Persona 2 doesn't even have much of a connection to the original game. Some of the areas are the same and a couple of characters are in both games.

HEDOfloe 2007.05.10 06:52 PM

I find it weird how many people say they have to "force" themselves to play FFXII. My brother says the same thing, I think its that the story isnt what drives the game as much as in the other games. In this game they let you play alot more than in the other games where its like story, dungeon, boss, story and it keeps you hooked. While here you can go long stretches without main plot developing. Is this what people dont like about it?

golem09 2007.05.10 06:58 PM

right now I'm stuck on Morrowind and Phoenix Wright. Once I got my new hardware I think I will play some Oblivion

CatchFiveBats 2007.05.10 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golem09 (Post 4639)
right now I'm stuck on Morrowind and Phoenix Wright. Once I got my new hardware I think I will play some Oblivion

Morrowind > Oblivion

Glathannus 2007.05.10 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats (Post 4644)
Morrowind > Oblivion

Agreed.

*plays his not-for-sale soundtrack CD that sounds just like everything else from Jeremy Soule*

golem09 2007.05.10 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatchFiveBats (Post 4644)
Morrowind > Oblivion

Morrowind on 32" LCD TV at 1360*768 FTW

Jonny 2007.05.11 12:21 AM

Half-life > half-life 2

The first GTA was kind of cool but even though GTA3 was similar in many ways, it revolutionized things of course. GTA3 really was grand. Vice City as well, just it lacked a topography - still very worthwhile. San Andreas got better in that sense. Now this game series just needs some serious mission/script writers.

Oh, and Phoenix Wright is great so far. Being a lawyer, defending people at court... "objection!!" (though I trick the DS machine by saying some other obscene words).

Inaudible-Whisper 2007.05.11 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonny (Post 4679)
Half-life > half-life 2

The first GTA was kind of cool but even though GTA3 was similar in many ways, it revolutionized things of course. GTA3 really was grand. Vice City as well, just it lacked a topography - still very worthwhile. San Andreas got better in that sense. Now this game series just needs some serious mission/script writers.

Oh, and Phoenix Wright is great so far. Being a lawyer, defending people at court... "objection!!" (though I trick the DS machine by saying some other obscene words).

Half Life 2 is 200% better than Half-Life. Half-Life 2 is possibly one of the only games that has ever lived up to it's astounding amount of hype. Plus, Garrys Mod FTW

As for GTA... I'm pretty sure they don't need new script writers. The San Andreas dialogue was heralded as some of the best in gaming, hence how they got the likes of Samuel L Jackson to come in (Though I'm sure a bit of money helped too). But seriously, the script and the superb voice acting always help to completely envelop me in the GTA stories.

Quote:

Morrowind on 32" LCD TV at 1360*768 FTW
If theres one thing that Oblivion destroys Morrowind with, it's the visuals... so I'd have to say Oblivion on a 32" LCD at 720p FTW!

fluffiethesock 2007.05.11 07:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maou (Post 4537)
SMT is the best console RPG series ever. If you do buy it, don't give up on it quickly. There is an extreme difficulty/learning curve for new players of the series. You might want to start with the Digital Devil Saga games first to ease yourself into the SMT gameplay style.

Alrighty, I may try that out... thanks mon

Did anyone ever play Secret of Evermore? I had beaten Secret of Mana and loved it, and then I went to Secret of Evermore, which I know isn't a true sequel... and that game was really freaky. I actually ended up beating it and feeling kind of depressed afterwards (which is kind of what I felt all the way through). I want to play it again, but for some reason I sold that jawn years back. I'm about to check on eBay..