Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Product Reviews & Information (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   [TJ] 2007.09.26 - Variety (CD) [Album] (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=629)

frecklegirl 2007.09.15 08:56 AM

[TJ] 2007.09.26 - Variety (CD) [Album]

娯楽(バラエティ) (Variety)

01. ランプ (Ramp)
02. ミラーボール (Mirror Ball)
03. 金魚の箱 (Kingyo no Hako)
04. 私生活 (Shiseikatsu)
05. OSCA
06. 黒猫道 (Kronekodow)
07. 復讐 (Fukushuu)
08. 某都民 (Boutomin)
09. SSAW
10. 月極姫 (Tsukigime-hime)
11. 酒と下戸 (Sake to Geko)
12. キラーチューン (Killer Tune)
13. メトロ (Metro)
Total Playtime: 49:45

Second-Press Availability: Amazon.co.jp, CD Japan, HMV Japan, YesAsia

Op2 2007.09.23 07:12 PM

The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.

Tokyo Jihad 2007.09.23 07:29 PM

Cursory notes: Shiseikatsu is a watered down Superstar. Fukushuu is Shiina does A Perfect Circle. Not sure that makes either good in their own right, but at least worth the listen.

Mirrorball: JCHI > Variety.

Tsukigime-hime isnt horrendous. Yet Uki still cant just "end" a song.

Killer Tune is horrendous.

Boutomin nor Ssaw should not have been allowed to exist with a song like Pinnochio around. or Kaban for that matter.

I didnt sign up for J-pop, guys.

justriiingo 2007.09.23 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Migoto (Post 16834)
Sorry to ask this if it was already explained, but why is that that everyone is calling the first track "Ramp"... It could also be "Lamp", couldn't it?

Er. Cuz HMV romanised it as Ramp? Also because it's something about a car... Er. Doesn't quite make sense. Anyway, Ramp it is.

kuro_neko 2007.09.23 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16836)
The Variety show.
Ramp = Opening Credits
Metro = Closing Theme

And, I am not afraid to say everything in between is pure sex in my ears.
Tokyo Jihen, you guys created an amazing album that justified every cent I paid for the CD. You created new music unlike anything else in the industry, yet drawing elements from the entire scene. This is what every artist should aim to achieve.

I am going to type out a full review later, but my first impressions are that this album is beyond exceptional. Modernizing and inspiring from older music, such as founding pop and rock songs from the 70s to Hi-NRG and eurodance, this album is a feast. The drum-and-snare insanely catchy Mirrorball, the power ballad Shiseikatsu that brings instant nostalgia to anyone, the throaty bittersweet "strapped to a guitar" Fukushuu, the beautifully crafted multi-faceted technotronic Tsukigime-hime, and oh so much more, and ahhh I am in love again with Tokyo Jihen.

I secretly had my doubts how this concept would work, but damn it, they pulled it off flawlessly.

yaaaay, I was already excited for this album anyways, the jewel in my week most definitely, and reading your positive review makes me just that much more excited, woo hoooooooo. I can't wait to hear Mirrorball again, XD

oh, how was Izawa on SSAW? I read that is a duet. XDXD

Glathannus 2007.09.23 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Op2 (Post 16829)

I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.

zarya 2007.09.23 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glathannus (Post 16842)
I'm going to wait for the CD this time.
Or maybe I should wait for the vinyl...

In any case, the advantage for me here (aside from the 'inaudible' details preserved by lossless) is that if I end up not liking the music, I'll have SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS and Yoko Kanno in the same shipment to keep me happy.

I'll look forward to seeing full reviews in the meantime, though.

I'm doing the opposite, this time, I'm not waiting for my CD. I'm not gonna receive it until next week anyways.

HappySlyme 2007.09.23 09:37 PM

i just downed it from jpopsuki.

man oh man! those sample clips from whatever site it was didn't do variety any justice at all and lowered my expectations to what i was expecting to be the demise of tj and shiina career, but putting this on my verdict is:

VARIETY IS FUCKIN ACES

every genre cross they do, every vocal flare, the unexpected heaviness of Fukushuu (although we got a taste of it in JCHI's Kenka Joutou) was brilliant and the punk moodiness/glam of Tsukigime-hime, very neat. and they weren't even the highlights!

congrats to tokyo jihen, how did i doubt you?

* i'll almost mention its orgasmic when they flick the time signature to 3/4 for that haunting quality in Sake to Geko (ala Yume no Ato).

Cinders 2007.09.23 09:43 PM

I absolutely loved it. It seems everything Tokyo Jihen does is crack for my ears.

Kasanagi 2007.09.23 10:12 PM

...Must resist leakage... this is the first time I've actually sat down, read the forums, and waited for a TJ album to be release, every other album were YouTube'd, Mp3'ed, long before I got my hands on the actual CD...

Argh what the hell am I talking about? *click link