Electric Mole Forums

Electric Mole Forums (https://forums.electricmole.net/index.php)
-   Tutorials (https://forums.electricmole.net/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Negative Rep: Updated (https://forums.electricmole.net/showthread.php?t=1212)

ShinjiPG 2009.06.08 09:38 AM

Negative Rep: Updated

Is it possible to know why the negative rep is not available anymore?

Ringo~Bingo 2009.06.08 09:47 AM

It is still available. I checked a random post and I can still disapprove! check again.
Perhaps if you neg repped a few in a row you might need some good to balance it out?

(I didn't actually neg rep anybody but the option is still there)

ShinjiPG 2009.06.08 10:39 AM

I can not negative rep any post whatsoever. At least two other members said they can't, either.
So I suppose there must be some kind of new system going on, which I'd like to understand.

Orenji 2009.06.08 10:42 AM

I cannot, either.

justriiingo 2009.06.08 10:52 AM

I don't think the admin would want to disclose how the rep system works.
But from my understanding, new members with no rep points cannot give negative reps, and I'm guessing once you get a certain number of negative reps you also won't be able to neg rep anyone.

ShinjiPG 2009.06.08 11:13 AM

But if I don't understand the system, how am I going to use it?
It's also weird that at least three people are in the "you gave so much neg rep now you can't give it anymore" category.
If I remember correctly, in my case the option to give neg rep just disappeared one day and I don't think I actually gave neg rep before it got disabled. So, well, it's weird.

I'll wait for an admin to say something :)

Orenji 2009.06.08 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justriiingo (Post 56375)
But from my understanding, new members with no rep points cannot give negative reps, and I'm guessing once you get a certain number of negative reps you also won't be able to neg rep anyone.

I think that's not true... I checked my User CP, and I've only been given bad reputation once -and I think the one who did it got wrong because there's a positive comment XD, whatever-. There must be a new system or something.

Glathannus 2009.06.08 02:19 PM

I can still Disapprove people, but so far I've only ever used it once before, and not on who you might suspect. :ph43r:
(your first five guesses will be wrong)

I've been Disapproved three times, and none of that has ever been overruled. I have taken the hits, and they continue to impact my Reputation score even today. Some other people who aren't in the red, have also taken quite a few hits.

The system has to change along with the growth of the community. This isn't the first time something has been tweaked, and it will probably change some more in the future. No responsible admin would just set up Reputation one day, then leave it the exact same way for 2-3 years. I've seen that happen in a few other communities and I don't like the outcome.

Reputation should also always remain at least somewhat mysterious so that nobody can game it.

On another note, it looks like EmilScherbe just got his second green dot. B)

ShinjiPG 2009.06.08 02:24 PM

So we are not going to know why we can't disapprove posts and if we are ever going to be able to do it again?

Glathannus 2009.06.08 03:00 PM

The system doesn't actually make any distinction on whether the previous Reputation you issued out to someone was an Approval or a Disapproval. The system could stop you from Approving someone because you already Disapproved them too recently, and vice versa. All the system cares about (for purposes of "spreading it around") is whether or not you've recently touched the same person's Reputation.

As for if/how/why/when you can Disapprove, nobody loses that capability for forever (unless they are banned or they've done something else almost-as-seriously wrong). It will eventually come back to you. ;)