View Single Post
Old 2007.09.25, 07:14 PM   #86
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

I think "Fukushuu" is the only real flaw with the album. It doesn't even sound like Tokyo Jihen. Even when I try to overlook the extremely distasteful style of the song, I struggle to find anything remotely redeemable. Though I will say that it improves a bit closer to the end.

But COME ON, it's like EVANESCENCE or something. I was walking to work this morning listing to Variety, and every track was just sounding supremely epic (even "Mirrorball" sounded good...it's a good walking track because you have more patience to put up with the track's relatively stagnant structure)--just SO GOOD. Numerous shivers were had. Then I got to "Fukushuu" and it was like I stepped in dog shit. I really made me feel like a giant tool listening to that thing. I thought it might have been possible for Tokyo Jihen to tackle such a genre, but it turns out that not even the talented, inspired TJ can polish a hopeless ball of dung into a gem. What about the track has the Tokyo Jihen character? I wonder.

I don't blame Uki, though, because I think it's pretty obvious that the band (or someone...) wanted to have a track to attract their old fans--the ones who were teenagers when Shiina was solo. "Uki, make a song with angsty guitar wailing." It's also SMACK in the middle of the album. Damn. I've never been a "playlist" guy and I don't really believe in deleting songs from an album, but I just can't imagine this track ever working out for me.

I guess that counts as my review of "Fukushuu." I will to force myself to bear the stench in search of some sort of glimmer of quality, but there's really not much to sift through. All the other tracks are so detailed and layered that I can't see them growing old...ever really.

Whoever said that "Fukushuu" is the only track he likes...you just made my list.
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote