View Single Post
Old 2009.06.11, 08:02 PM   #5
mizer_unmei

mizer_unmei raises the standards of what a community can offer

I've been a fan of The Beatles since I was 10 and my mum would play nothing but them (and Cher. >.>; ) in the car on road trips. Unfortunately that was before I was really into music and was just a passive listener, so I don't know them album by album as such, but more as a there's a large cluster of songs that I like and can sing to by them.

The albums my mum mostly played were the two red and blue best of albums and the white album, but I love and listen to much more. I love the their sound and how they evolved. Previously I found their earlier work not to be as ear-catching and would mostly listen to Revolver stuff and on, but now (especially after becoming a huuuge fan of Motown, many songs of which The Beatles covered) I really love and appreciate their earlier poppier fare.

Plus, you can thank the wonderfulness of The Supremes for saving the home American market from the British invasion, because they were pretty much the only great competition that they had.

And TeslaGuy: Though I'm not too well versed in the Rockabilly music scene save for Buddy Holly, Elvis, The Everly Brothers, Roy Orbison and Jerry Lee Lewis... yes, the British Invasion stopped the rockabilly wave of the 50s but wasn't it on a downfall anyway due to Elvis' enlistment in the army and Buddy Holly's death? I adore the Everly Brothers, but I also know that their only big hits were in '59 and '60. They didn't really make a splash after that. Surfer rock was big for bit, but that was mostly instrumental. (I actually don't know any surf rock with vocals.)

But it's like how Grunge and Nirvana ousted the hair metal sound from American rock music. That's what great about music; it's constantly changing and all the genres (more or less) have their own pros and cons.

last.fm
mizer_unmei is offline   Reply With Quote