View Single Post
Old 2009.12.09, 05:57 AM   #1
justriiingo

justriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they arejustriiingo can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are
Default Favourite albums of the decade

It's nearing the end of the noughties, and lists like "Top 100 albums of the decade" are popping up everywhere.

I'm quite enjoying this one by FACT Magazine myself. It's more electronic/dance-centric so it's got less of the usual pop/indie-rock artists that seem to permeate every type of "Top album" lists in the past few years... I'm digging their picks quite a bit.

What are some of your favourite albums of the decade? Don't just write a list, write a little something about how that music has changed your life too. You're welcome to throw SR, TJ albums in there, but hopefully that won't derail the discussion too much. The idea is here is to spread the love about your favourite music!

I'll start with one of my picks...

Portico Quartet - Knee Deep in the North Sea (2007)

Sample: Zavodovski Island

I can't stress how much I love this album. If you asked me to name music that sounds truly "new", this would be it. It's an unusual amalgam of jazz, world music and dance music, the ethereal echoes of the hang (saucer-shaped percussion instrument) adding on to the sense of strange, with only the saxophone delivering beautiful melodies that brings a sense of familiarity to the music. I love the way they build up the tension in the compositions, slowly but surely, and they tease you a little bit before releasing the tension with a bang. This is also a beautifully recorded album... it's something I'll want to buy an expensive hi-fi for, because music this beautiful deserves all the respect it should get.

Last edited by justriiingo : 2009.12.09 at 09:48 PM.
justriiingo is offline   Reply With Quote