View Single Post
Old 2010.02.20, 12:30 AM   #152
D.K.Liu

D.K.Liu is an asset to this community

To justriiingo: I made my comment based on my instinctive understanding of the word professional as meaning: "matching/exceeding certain standard of skill or behaviour". Applied to music, my initial reaction would be, if a piece of music is not performed off-tune, off-time, etc.

Of course, this kind of breaks down if the music is intentionally 'off-tune' in the name of aethestics, creativity etc. For example, Indonesian gamelan music sounds really dissonant to me, and I would have great difficulty in judging the professionalism of any particular performance of it.

In any case, professionalism is related to some kind of 'standard' or 'expectation'. One way to come up with a reference point for a standard is by way of comparison with something like 'generic pop'. I'd argue that most stuff that gets played on the radio have at least reached a certain standard. An example of something that is not prefessional would be the performances of our choir at church.

My interpretation of the word may not be complete, accurate. I am open to your thoughts. The following is the Merriam-Webster entry on 'professional'
1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace
2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>
3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>
D.K.Liu is offline   Reply With Quote