View Single Post
Old 2010.02.20, 01:25 PM   #160
spinnigold

spinnigold is headed in the right direction

Originally Posted by so_cold View Post
I liked nayth's artwork for Sanmon Gossip as well!

@spinnigold, just out of curiosity how often do you get music synaesthesia? My mother has it for letters and numbers and I used to have it as a child when I was missing one of my senses. Perhaps if I'm unsure if I have it, I don't really have it, but I definitely saw colours when listening to this album on a surprisingly deep listen about the third time around and I didn't like it. That was a contrast with say, Muzai Moritorium, where I was pleased to discover that the back of the CD had the right colour blue compared to the overall sound I was getting from songs like Sid to Hakuchiimu and Koko de Kiss Shite from YouTube. SR's voice is a very pretty silvery pink as well.

I didn't like the bright coloured moving diagonal lines I saw during Noriki's solo, or the pink balls that fell down like this Sony Bravia advert at the end of Denpa Tsuushin. Kimaru was a blue sea with dancing yellow carousel figures (you can guess what I'm describing in the music, it was triple-time iirc), which was very interesting but unsettling, and then grey Uki/Izawa came and sandblasted those colours away.

I don't care who thinks I'm random now.

Sports was more potent than the average album than I don't like though. I did really like my favoured tracks Zettai Zetsumei, FAIR and Season Sayonara. ZZ's been bouncing around endearingly in my memory all week. I think the lyrics might have been understandable, but I'll prefer to think of it as something very appealing just musically.
I get it for music, people (after I've known them a little while-- don't know why), days of the week and months of the year, and groupings for numbers. Also a minor form with letters. Half the reason I love Ringo is because she is one of the few artists who causes me to overload colour-wise, in a way only classical music has ever achieved before. Her melodies are genuinely complex in that way.
But I also get images, mainly architectural for certain songs-- occassionally I get smell associations too! It's very all over the shop. Ringo has yet to write a song that has completely overwelmed me though. That achievement goes only to Shostakovich and, weirdly, Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard.
Here's my speed paint of the sort of image I get from Kimaru. It's not quite right; I don't feel like there needs to be such contrast between light and dark, it's more like spring sunshine, and the wooden floor and girl in some sort of indie dress is the strongest image I get. That and trees outside. Really the girl should be playing a guitar seated, but I whacked her by the window. It's not really how it feels at all, I need another crack at it :/

It's really hard to explain how my colours work, too. The closest I can get is ribbons of various colours on a black background, but even then that doesn't even begin to adequately describe it. I need to learn to mind-meld ;P
spinnigold is offline   Reply With Quote