View Single Post
Old 2010.02.25, 02:53 AM   #217
Scribble R

Scribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they areScribble R can barely hear you above the sound of how awesome they are

Originally Posted by AmeGamble View Post
So I'm "new" (read as: former lurker) to this forum, and it's very interesting to read other fan's posts regarding Shiina Ringo and Tokyo Jihen. Reading things like, "its not typical Shiina," or "it sounds generic, and anyone can sing these songs" in regards to Sports quite frankly doesn't sit right in my spirit.

I think what people forget to realize is that Tokyo Jihen is called "Tokyo Jihen" and not "Shiina Ringo" for a reason; it's a group. And if you've worked in a group at anytime in your life before, i'm sure you've always wanted your input to be acknowledged and have your moment to shine.
Welcome... the thing is, I don't think Ukigumo or Izawa's 'solo' stuff is particularly generic. If Ukigumo had a better voice, I would probably keep a few of his Petrolz songs on my ipod (Yes, even among contemporary RnB artists like Maxwell, Eric Benet or D'Angelo). Izawa also has a distinct style.

So if the album sounds generic (Which it doesn't, although some songs DO blend into each other, and there's a handful of songs that just sound plain) it's because the songwriters strengths have been watered down by the whole TJ thing.

I bet the Petrolz arrangement of Season Sayonara would be soooo much better.
Scribble R is offline   Reply With Quote