View Single Post
Old 2010.08.29, 06:42 PM   #31
Jameslicious

Jameslicious pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
Who arranges what is irrelevant. Ukigumo could have chosen to play Ariamaru Tomi exactly as it was on the single as the arrangement is much different. He chose to do it his way instead. His way sucks.
Sucks, to you.

Anyway, I wouldn't say it's irrelevant. The whole band was involved. If Ukigumo had gone and started to play it the way it is on the single, and the rest of the band didn't, then we'd be in trouble. But yeah, moving on...

"Flat and flavourless" is a cringe-worthy statement. It's not like either version is all that different. Besides, if anything, the entirety of Adult is "flat and flavourless" with its extremely sterile production. Superstar is actually one of the few songs Ukigumo does remain true to the original. The main guitar line was in the original song. It was played by Hirama during the outro.
Ah, well, you say sterile, I say clean. Personally I liked how it was jazzier than Education. And I love how Variety glistens. I realise I'm in the minority, and I'm cool to agree to disagree here.

I do like both versions of Superstar (and Himitsu), but I prefer the Dynamite versions. Hirama played a broken progression for the first two chorus sections of the song to build anticipation for the full progression during the finale. It worked as the Dynamite version picks up quite a bit after the guitar solo. Hirama's non-muted plucking was better and he didn't make any dieing goat noises like Ukigumo did.
Haha, okay. It's different strokes, man. I think Uki adds more than Hirama did, though it depends what you're after. Hirama looked better on stage (so did HZM, for that matter,) but, Ukigumo sounds better. To me. To my eyes and ears.

Ukigumo doesn't even have a solo in the Phase 2 version. Playing the main riff up an octave and finishing with a little wankery doesn't make a solo.

I think I would have been fine with it if it had kept the original intro and outro. It didn't and it had nothing to make up for it. I just don't understand the point of the song. The lyrics are the only thing that remained from the original. If you're going to change that much of the song, you might as well just make a new song.
Oh, I agree. But I still liked it.

The point, I'm guessing, is to give the fans and old song with a new sound. Maybe they could've made it a new song. But hey, they didn't, and I liked it, so yeah.

I mean, I'll elaborate if you want, but, I'm not sure there's a point. Not a comment on you, of course.

When Phase 1 remade Shiina songs like Tsumiki Asobi or La Salle de Bain, they were awesome. Why? Because they kept elements from the original version of the song while giving it their own flavor. They were very different songs in the end, but still recognizable after breaking them down.
I feel the same about Phase 2 stuff. I know, I know. They're totally different and unrecognisable blah blah, yes, sure, some of the time. But what they do, they do well.

I know you want to defend Sounan because you enjoyed it way more than some others here, but that doesn't even begin to make sense. It almost sounds like you're saying bands should remake all their older songs to fit their new style. You don't fuck with classics just because you can.
Maybe it sounds that way, but that wasn't what I meant. I probably could've been clearer.

I'm not saying they should because they can, just that when they (TJ) do, they do it well.

Oh, and I'm not here to defend Sounan. I'm not into Internet fights or anything, I just wanted to share my thoughts on it, and then back them up with some reasons. I get that they won't gel with what most here think, but hey, at least I'm not just saying "UKI SUCKS BECAUSE HE IS NOT MICKY" like I've seen before.

Right?

Oh, believe me, I will rip MaruSadi to shreds. Best version is Elecric Mole, BTW.
Wash your keyboard out I liked it, but, Just Can't Help It's version sounded...mature. Evolved. Different in a good way. It sounded like the album version, mostly, on Electric Mole, which is great, but yes.

We're going to go around and around again if we keep going, so I'll sign off at this point
Jameslicious is offline   Reply With Quote