Thread: Asai Kenichi
View Single Post
Old 2010.10.19, 09:22 PM   #100
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

PONTIACS is coming out with a full album in November, and I didn't stumble upon any information about that until today. Turns out a lot of other CD Japan customers already knew (even though you can't request newsmail alerts specifically for artists who aren't in the shop registry yet), because the pre-order for the +DVD edition of this album is sold-out at CD Japan already.

The only way HMV Japan can still offer the +DVD edition isn't so much because the size of their inventory, but it's more because HMV knows this release is popular and they're capping customers at 2 copies each. I haven't noticed HMV Japan capping the buyer-quantity on anything I've been interested in since MoRA (two years ago), and I do remember CD Japan selling out on their pre-order availability more quickly than HMV Japan on that.

As far as I can tell, HMV Japan has never capped customers on a Asai Kenichi release before. Meanwhile, there are limited edition Asai Kenichi releases from before which haven't sold out yet, and they're still uncapped. I think there's simply a buying surge on a limited edition if that release corresponds with Asai Kenichi starting a new band. I remember the first-press of Kiken Sugiru selling out before the release date, and I remember the limited editions of Johnny Hell and Johnny Heaven selling out fairly quickly too, but none of his later solo-career stuff has disappeared. You can still buy the 2-disc edition of Deadly Hair, even though it's one of the best concert videos he's done since Interchange Coconuts (which I recently finally saw for the first time). Speaking of Interchange Coconuts...

For the Sphinx Rose tour, Asai Kenichi even hooked up with Shiino Kyoichi (from AJICO and sometimes JUDE - including the Interchange Coconuts concert DVD). The Sphinx Rose studio recordings also featured the entire roster of SHERBETS, even though it was a solo-career project. So I guess you could say Asai Kenichi likes to give his old associates (including Shiina Ringo and Masami Tsuchiya) opportunities in his latest projects, even if it's been 5 or 10 years since the last time they worked together.