View Single Post
Old 2011.05.04, 12:47 PM   #595
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

I bet you'll still like that music, Turtle. You'll grow out of the "I'm too cool for that" stage.

For instance, I was a huge Spice Girl fan back when they were popular and I was in 5th/6th grade. Had all their albums and singles, excepting that last one because "Holler" didn't do anything for me. Or maybe I had just moved on. By the time that last album came out, I had already progressed down that modern musical road which would eventually lead me to now, listening to pretentious beyond pretentious stuff like The Dirty Projectors. (Mother of God.)
I never "hated myself" for liking the Spice Girls, I guess I always held a special place for them, but I tended to leave them off my musical tastes resume. True, I probably haven't listened to their albums since 7th grade (Mother of God.) But when they come up on the hits of the 90's satellite radio station, I turn it up; or if I'm trying to annoy, embarrass my girlfriend I can recall all the words to most of their songs.

Basically, "hating" (in any form) your self in the past is generally a bad idea. Unless you got mixed up in crime or drugs, things are easy to move on, but it's still good to pack that stuff with you and keep it. It made you who you are. Hence why it's just as upsetting to hear Shiina Ringo say that kind of crap.