View Single Post
Old 2011.06.02, 05:07 PM   #6783
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer
Default i know i know i know i know i know i know i know i know i know i know i know

Here's my CLT playlist for the moment:
clt-6.png

This is for the most part "shit I've been meaning to listen to for forever."

Merriwether Post Pavilion: Is it pretentious? Out the ass! But it's still worth the listen, and once you get past the "Animal Collective"-ness of it, its pretty poppy and catchy. I think the mistake people make is hyping the song "My Girls." Listen to "Summertime Clothes" or "Bluish."

Tomboy: Once graduated from MPP I decided to listen to this supposed early favorite for Album of the Year. While it does grow on me the more I listen, I find it a little too loose and aimless. If I hear how "dreamy" this album is one more time, I swear. "Last Night at the Jetty" is great, "You can Count on me" "Slow Motion" and "Surfers Hymn" are good. As is "Afterburner" but it unfortunately follows a real rough patch in the album. Songs like "Drone," "Scheherezade," and "Friendship Bracelet" are good songs, but don't have enough ideas in them to be five minutes long. Not nearly as enjoyable as Person Pitch, which I only listened to once, immediately after two spins of Tomboy. But hey, not like every Merriwhether song made sense at first. At least the density invites more listens.

Loveless: Another classic I dragged my feet on. I found it really difficult to get through. (But I guess that's the point.) "Only Shallow" I was already familiar with, and some songs like "Soon" and "Sometimes" came pretty easily. But others bleed a bit together (like, so far all the songs between Somewhere and Soon,) but I'm patient. I suppose listening to this album is alot like watching Metropolis or Jason and the Argonauts, on some level you have to marvel those effects and that approach for their time. It is starting to click. "To here Know why" I just don't know...Maou?

Marry Me: After all this "abstract" crap, I needed something more traditional in my life. I literally just listened to it for the first time as I typed this up, after literal years of Maou and others pleading for me to listen. I was not disappointed! I eagerly await queuing this up again. "Your Lips are Red" sent shivers down my spine. The second half of the album is great straight through!