View Single Post
Old 2011.07.02, 11:29 AM   #124
Tsuchiya

Tsuchiya pleased at least somebody

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I look at more as this is an extremely average album with no real peaks and valleys. There aren't any really polarizing songs like Toumei Ningen, mostly hated songs like BB Queen, or mostly loved songs like Kimaru on this album. It just exists with a consistent quality throughout the whole album. With the exception of the new Tengoku arrangement, the album doesn't do anything new so there isn't much new discussion to be had.

I will say, though, that it's quite disappointing to not see the new faces and returning people actually discuss the good and the bad of the album. The return of Tsuchiya was nice (missed ya, buddy!), but where is everybody else?
I don't know if I actually posted when Sports was released, but I was definitely checking the board then.

I was surprised at how little I disagreed with you and Tokyo Jihad this time around! I wonder if the band is playing it safe to please as many fans as possible. Though does the band really pay attention to fan criticism as much as we think? I get the sense that the average Japanese fan likes whatever the TJ releases. Anyway, I do think that I'll probably come back to this album less because there are few surprises.

"Toumei Ningen" and "Killer Tune" are the two songs TJ that really blew me away when I first heard them. They're exciting! I've been listening to this album as BGM at work--something I probably could not do with Adult or Variety. I hate to call something "J-pop" because it essentially means Japanese music, and I am a huge fan of '70s and '80s "J-pop," but this album may be too soft around edges...too radio friendly. But, hey, it's not as watered down as "Senkou Soujo," luckily. And, to be fair, what current Japanese band is better than Tokyo Jihen?

I enjoyed the salyu x salyu album (produced by Cornelius...it sounds like most instruments are probably played by him too) that came out this year. If you guys are looking for something experimental, check that out. (I still prefer the TJ album.)
Tsuchiya is offline   Reply With Quote