View Single Post
Old 2011.07.02, 02:40 PM   #127
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Maou and Fecklegirl, it is really weird that there was at least twice as much discussion in the five days before the album came out than the five days after. For all the herping and derping that there was at one point, the party seemed already over when people started receiving their copies.

Turtlefu, I completely agree. As much as I liked Denki and Kaze ni and thought Diopemint and Otona-tachi were very good, I have such a low desire to play through it again. I don't know why. I was not groaning my way through the album like Variety, or mustering the energy to listen like with Sports. I was fairly engaged when I listened through it. I spun it seven times beginning to end on the first day, and the next morning was back to listening to the music I was listening to the day previous. Maybe because the standout tracks (Otona-tachi, Bunmei-kaika, to a lesser extent Dopamint) generally aren't the types of song I reflexively turn to. I just rarely think about listening to an RnB track or a j-pop track; nothing to do with quality.

I think Tsuchiya may have a fair point about the band possibly catering to the audience. It's true we can't say for sure whether they do or not (though that twitter comment from Shiina is pretty revealing, ) but as Tsuchiya also said there felt to be too few surprises. Everything felt just a bit too calculated. Maybe that explains the pleasing listening experience, but lack of returning visits.