View Single Post
Old 2011.11.18, 07:58 PM   #318
zombiestrip

zombiestrip pleased at least somebody

Alright so I finally finished Cowboy Bebop and thought it was pretty good but it didn't wow me over as much as most other people.

Is it one of the best anime series ever? Possibly. I mean it's hard NOT to talk about anime and not bring up Cowboy Bebop, am I right? I dunno, maybe someone can explain to me why they think Cowboy Bebop is one of the greatest anime series, if not the greatest anime series, ever produced. I still think I prefer Samurai Champloo over Cowboy Bebop.

I think my main problem with the show is that there doesn't seem to be much story. At least with Samurai Champloo they gave you some sort of direction as to where things were going as the main crux of that series' story was "Fuu enlists the help of two different samurai to find the Sunflower samurai". Although I may have to reassess what I just said since the same theory could be applied to Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Neon Genesis Evangelion.

I loved Faye's story arc and thought she was one of the show's strongest characters next to Spike. And I could definitely see the whole film noir influence going on throughout the series (especially in the final two episodes). Edward's almost a throwaway character but that's not to say I didn't enjoy her character because I thought she was hilarious.

I think the thing that I liked most about the show was how it was a celebration (I hope that's the word I'm looking for) of our past which was not only exemplified through the its characters but through the episodes themselves. You never see film noir and Westerns being made in this day and age as they're considered relics for a time when that sort of thing was in style and good taste. And for a show that's set years in the future, it could have easily gone down the Gundam route and made a completely futuristic type world but to do so would be to completely miss the point of the series (although this is all just my interpretation of things). I like that Cowboy Bebop embraces the past and hybridises genres to make something that's wholly original.

Also, Andy the Space Samurai.
zombiestrip is offline   Reply With Quote