View Single Post
Old 2013.05.01, 08:49 PM   #1008
Glathannus
True Final Boss

Glathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summerGlathannus knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
I'm wondering if [CD Japan] will eventually put a limit on the amount of BP you can use per purchase or if one exists, I certainly haven't run into it. The most I've used at once was something like 3,200.
I haven't encountered a limit yet, either.

Six years ago, I redeemed 9400 points toward an order of 4 CDs, which covered everything but the shipping. I don't remember if CD Japan would have let me also cover the shipping at the time, but I know they'll allow it nowadays.

A year ago, I redeemed around 6300 points to cover a purchase of 2 CDs with the shipping. The "Final Order Total" (money out of my pocket) was 0.

The only limitation with the points, is they don't compound. You only earn points by spending actual money beyond what the shipping would cost. The more points you use to cover an order, the less points you'll earn from that order. As with my orders where I was paying shipping or nothing, 0 points were earned. I've had huge orders where I redeemed around 6000 points and earned 2000 at the same time, because I was still spending a lot more actual money than what the shipping was costing.

When I do the math (with the points factored in), I choose to look at the overall situation as: shipping only costs me about $1.50 USD per disc when I'm buying dozens, while the effective value I'm getting out of the BasePrice + Shipping is way beyond what I could get from any other international seller (of Japanese goods) for the same price. It's especially remarkable when you consider that CD Japan doesn't cut corners with the packaging, and they often ship out a day or two early on new releases.