View Single Post
Old 2013.06.15, 09:59 PM   #512
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Oh absolutely. The thing that got me started on this whole journey was an intense desire to play my Wii games in gorgeous HD, especially Okami. If you go to deadendthrills, they have tons of screenshots from Okami in Ultra HD quality. It's so beautiful.

Ultimately, I have to be realistic of my needs. For a laptop, which would ideally be used mostly for academic or productivity, I would be fine with any small, light laptop that is comfortable to type on and to view for long periods of time. In fact, I could probably do well with a tablet (I like using an iPad to annotate PDFs with a stylus). I'm assuming you are some kind of IT professional, Glath? I can basically read articles and write papers on anything, so...

It may be because I am just a weakling, but carrying laptop + all my other textbooks with me in my backpack is really annoying. Next time I definitely need a lighter laptop. Actually, I was considering getting a Bay Trail tablet when they come out (but again: expensive), replacing my laptop for school work and my paper notebooks for school as well. My laptop is 2 years old, but it's an HP which I am NEVER buying again. Started out with nearly 5 hours on ful charge, now can barely last 2 hours even with internet turned off.

I think 1080p is even a little overkill for me now. I have a 1080p HDTV, and I have a WXGA Monitor. Some people are getting 4K Tvs or Ultra HD Monitors, and I see no use for them right now. (Though I've noticed some really good Ultra HD monitors on sale for like $600, so maybe in the future that will become normal)

My dream is to one day have a piece of equipment that acts as a streaming box (Roku) game console, Blu-ray player, audio receiver, etc. The new Xbox is interesting because it is plenty of those things but is far more limited than a computer.

Ack! I have expensive dreams but a student budget. What shall I spend money on? The cool toys that I want or the equipment that would be replacing something that is essential but starting to fail.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote