View Single Post
Old 2013.12.18, 05:52 AM   #65
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

Pitchfork posted their top 50 and I am going to talk about it.

I'm not one of those uber-mesch hipsters who is "too cool" for Pitchfork (but I do try to expand my scope beyond what Pitchfork pushes.) Pitchfork and Pazz & Jop these days are my standard when it comes to end of year lists, for whatever that's worth, so I can't help but want to comment.

First off, there's the usual Pitchfork chaffe that you have to look past: Majikal Cloudz, Jai Paul, and freaking Sky Ferreira – gimmie a break. Stop trying to make Sky Ferreira happen; it's not going to happen.

Savages over Reflektor? What? Both were good, both had their flaws, but Reflektor is more memorable.

Monomania,what? Why? Not this time Deerhunter. Every time I see Parquet Courts in a 2013 list, I boil "that was last year," and not even in a Burial. late December way.

I don't understand what people see in Doris. Earl's flow is static -- every song sounds the same, and his guests routinely out shine him. I swear, Tyler's verse makes it the best Tyler song this year. I thought Wolf was way better than Doris. I also don't get Chance the Rapper or A$AP Rocky (though I loved A$AP Ferg's record.) Maybe I'm just too old.

Any of the female singer songwriter's in my list: Torres, Laura Stevenson, Lady Lamb, are better than the Waxahachee album. It's not "bad" but its not better than any of the above.

The Knife is way too low. Jon Hopkins and Forest Swords are shockingly low (as is Chvrches, for Pitchfork). I like the inclusion of Neko Case and Autre Ne Veut, loved those albums.

What's more Pitchfork than putting Kanye #1? Putting Vampire Weekend #1 instead.

(All in all, I agree with my list more. Yes yes. )