View Single Post
Old 2014.11.21, 06:53 PM   #31
mrnarse

mrnarse puts considerable thought into their posts

Originally Posted by Entry№1 View Post
I can't speak for Gekokujyo, but all I've read said about SR's lyrics lately could have been based on reading translations of them. I recommend Frecklegirl's website, she's very thorough and often includes very helpful translation/cultural notes. At one point, she'd translated all of SR's lyrics, and is *supposedly* in the process of re-translating them after having had them removed. :\
I've been planning on using Frecklegirl's translations to make myself Japanese/English flashcards for a while now. Once I take the JLPT N3 in a couple of weeks (I'll definitely fail, but it'll help me prepare for next year) it'll be one of my first projects.

That ties in to my view on parsing Ringo's lyrics. I don't want to have to rely on someone else's translation, or translation of a translation, then filtered through another person's viewpoint to parse the messages in her songs. It becomes a game of telephone. I want to understand the Japanese lyrics as well as their cultural context, so I can form my own opinion directly from the source. Frecklegirl's detailed notes and translations are very helpful in that aspect.
mrnarse is offline   Reply With Quote