View Single Post
Old 2015.09.10, 01:29 PM   #36
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by Maou View Post
I just don't really know what to say to people who put the woman above the whole of the music without coming off as a giant prick.

I'll never get people projecting their thoughts on how much Ringo is having fun on stage compared to other shows either.
By the same token, I don't quite get how people can watch someone perform and *not* empathize. If not for the ability to share in the performance, why have live music at all? Why have any music that isn't computer-generated? Some people may tend more toward one side of the spectrum than the other, but ultimately I don't think it's possible to completely draw a line between "fan of Ringo's music" and "fan of Ringo".

I think maybe what you're implying is that there is a difference between the "musical" and the "non-musical" fan; the former being a person who has some significant talent/education/experience in creating or analyzing music. I will cheerfully concede this point. There are aspects of the whole of the music, as you say, that cannot be appreciated by those who are not, at minimum, serious music fans in general. As a non-musical individual, I realize that there's a lot I'm not getting - but there's also still a lot to appreciate.

All of which being said - I'm absolutely *not* saying the GX is her best performance - just that there's something to appreciate in most of her performances, and that context can sometimes be almost as important as content.