View Single Post
Old 2015.12.11, 06:16 PM   #37
zeroryouko
Ringophile

zeroryouko raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by deadgrandma View Post
This is gonna sound like pure stanning (which admittedly, it partly is), but come on, how can you claim Seiko Oomori isn't a strong vocalist? Unless you are talking on lame-ass traditional X-Factor standards.

I mean, her voice is like the main thing that hits you when you first listen to her. Pretty unforgettable and trademark. And I'm not just saying this. Regardless of what you think of her and her music, her voice is what will stick with you the longest on first impression. Her vocals are as unmistakable as Shiina Ringo, Jun Togawa, Tori Amos or Joanna Newsom (as some examples who come to me straight away) to me, easily. Different qualities to it, obviously, but definitely something you cannot mistake.
I don't think that's stanning. In fact I'm sure of it, now that I've looked up what "stanning" actually is.

But seriously, while I'm not the biggest Oomori fan, she definitely can sing, and she definitely has her own style. I'm not always into it 100%, but I've heard several of her performances that I quite enjoyed. Her vocal style is, as you say, unmistakable, and definitely worthy of respect.

I am also firmly of the opinion that Oomori (or any of those artists, really) could conform much more closely to traditional vocal standards, if she chose to do so. The problem is that so much is lost in doing so. I remember reading about one western artist (I forget who, but it was someone run-of-the-mill) who had the hardest time learning how to suppress the nasal aspect of her voice. Apparently her voice coach was always on her case about it. And here I am a Ringo fan, thinking, where would we even be if that had happened to her?

Last edited by zeroryouko : 2015.12.11 at 06:19 PM.
zeroryouko is offline   Reply With Quote