View Single Post
Old 2010.08.29, 06:03 PM   #30
Maou

Maou knows what you did last summerMaou knows what you did last summer

Originally Posted by Jameslicious View Post
Ehhhh.

Well, first up, we don't really know that it's Ukigumo who's arranging it (do we? Serious question.) If anything, I'm pretty sure it's Izawa who's changing stuff up. Plus, I'm pretty sure if he came in with something that the others didn't like, they'd say "No, play it like this," and that'd be the end of it. It's not like he's deliberately standing there playing something that doesn't fit with the others.
Who arranges what is irrelevant. Ukigumo could have chosen to play Ariamaru Tomi exactly as it was on the single as the arrangement is much different. He chose to do it his way instead. His way sucks.

Secondly, while different, I love everything Uki's added/does to songs that weren't his originally. Listen to his guitar line in Superstar. Hirama was just boring "chugga chugga" but Uki gives it texture and motion, busting out of the safe little box Hirama had put it in. And his (Hirama's) solo was just...flavourless. Uki knows how to break it when he needs to. Remaining 'respectful' to chugga chugga and flat and flavourless? I'll say no.
"Flat and flavourless" is a cringe-worthy statement. It's not like either version is all that different. Besides, if anything, the entirety of Adult is "flat and flavourless" with its extremely sterile production. Superstar is actually one of the few songs Ukigumo does remain true to the original. The main guitar line was in the original song. It was played by Hirama during the outro.

I do like both versions of Superstar (and Himitsu), but I prefer the Dynamite versions. Hirama played a broken progression for the first two chorus sections of the song to build anticipation for the full progression during the finale. It worked as the Dynamite version picks up quite a bit after the guitar solo. Hirama's non-muted plucking was better and he didn't make any dieing goat noises like Ukigumo did.

Ukigumo doesn't even have a solo in the Phase 2 version. Playing the main riff up an octave and finishing with a little wankery doesn't make a solo.

As for Sounan...yeah, it's different. But they're not the same band anymore. After resting it for years, I think it's okay for them to change a song up a little. Add in the guitar solo outro bit and I'd probably like it more than the original. In fact, I'm sure that's what'll happen if they keep it in their live rotation.
I think I would have been fine with it if it had kept the original intro and outro. It didn't and it had nothing to make up for it. I just don't understand the point of the song. The lyrics are the only thing that remained from the original. If you're going to change that much of the song, you might as well just make a new song.

When Phase 1 remade Shiina songs like Tsumiki Asobi or La Salle de Bain, they were awesome. Why? Because they kept elements from the original version of the song while giving it their own flavor. They were very different songs in the end, but still recognizable after breaking them down.

I mean, it just wouldn't have fit with the flow of the rest of the songs had they stuck with the original. It'd be like, "Oh, are we listening to Education now? Oh okay," rather than, "Oh hey, listen to how they've morphed this. It's actually kinda cool."
I know you want to defend Sounan because you enjoyed it way more than some others here, but that doesn't even begin to make sense. It almost sounds like you're saying bands should remake all their older songs to fit their new style. You don't fuck with classics just because you can.

If you're going to complain about anything, complain about MaruSadi. They keep messing with it. Though, I must say, the version on Just Can't Help It was probably the best I've heard.
Oh, believe me, I will rip MaruSadi to shreds. Best version is Elecric Mole, BTW.

Last edited by Maou : 2010.08.29 at 06:18 PM.
Maou is offline   Reply With Quote