View Single Post
Old 2014.11.23, 07:40 PM   #2
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

Ariamaru Tomi is pretty much the best ballad style song she's written post KZK (though, Shun is close), none of the new songs really stand a chance against it if we're being serious.

JL005 is not a bad song, but it's really let down by it's muddy ass production values and the fact that it just blends into the previous and next tracks/does not have a strong ending. Hopefully live versions can bring out its full potential - and believe me, I feel it could become so much more given the right arrangement (pretty much how I feel about all of the new songs actually). Still, it's definitely one of the better new songs.

I mean, even if I was in love with Sunny (and especially JL005) as Inseu and others appear to be, in my right mind and on a completely grounded level, anything on it would be very, very hard pressed to surpass Ariamaru Tomi. If AT was on Sanmon Gossip, it would be the best track there too (but it was left off because Ringo had the integrity to know it wouldn't sound right), and I love Sanmon Gossip. Thus, why including Ariamaru on Sunny (where it really sounds odd right after NIPPON, not to mention it's 5 years old) is a decision I'm finding hard to make sense of, and I seriously doubt I ever will understand it either. At least on an artistic level- but really, I don't think art had anything to do with it's placement- I think it has more to do with fattening the album up so they could sell it at album cost.

But to put it short, Ariamaru Tomi should be the clear winner if you're being totally honest with yourself. Even on the song vs. song level only it represents an amazing melody, great chord progression, fantastic vocals. JL005 as a song is quite beautiful and it does experiment slightly with electronics, but in the end, I doubt it will have the staying power that Ariamaru Tomi brought to the table. More than anything, I don't feel that sense of enchantment that Ariamaru gave me, and still gives me everytime I play it. Finally, it must not be ignored that for 5 years, Ariamaru Tomi wasn't even on an album- yet still one of her most popular tracks. That says a lot.

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2014.11.23 at 08:31 PM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote