View Single Post
Old 2013.12.26, 03:26 PM   #20
deadgrandma

deadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summerdeadgrandma knows what you did last summer

This is how I see it: Oomori is at the stage where she has complete freedom. I find this pretty damn exciting. Not many other artists in Japan I know of have had that freedom when they start out. Oomori's debut sounds far grittier and personal than even say, Muzai Moratorium to me. Perhaps thats just because of production choice, old Ringo lives certainly sound 'harder' than the sheen on Muzai. But that's another discussion.

As for Oomori, I think she does have respect for some idol music. I think she might have grown up with it, the choices of songs she covers are usually older songs. It's true that she does go along with Tokyo Idol Festival, but I also think that is one hell of a way to get more exposure, she stands out like a sore thumb, and thus, people are going to remember her. The two songs she made in that 'idol' style do sound like what Togawa (for example) would have done just with a more 2013 sound to them. They give the works of Nakata a run for their money because they have a hook that sticks. She is making a statement "HERE I AM", yet she still stays true to her sound (more or less) with the rest of the album. You gotta do what you gotta do nowadays. I'm not calling those songs shallow either, they're excellent pop songs. I think that she just likes trying other stuff with different projects too. Lai Lai Lai Team sounds closer to Midori/Goto Mariko than she has done before, and it fits her very well. I say just let her do what she wants while she's still got such creative juice flowing through her veins.

In the end though, the music is what you should really be going on... you've told me what you're thinking about Oomori's image but you haven't actually told me what you think of the albums. You're pulling a pitchfork so to speak :-p

As for Togawa's image, she was kinda sorta idol parody, but foremost she was an ero-guro (erotic grotesque) advocate. Tamahime Sama is a very serious and genuine album too you know...

Last edited by deadgrandma : 2018.06.22 at 07:08 AM.
deadgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote