View Single Post
Old 2015.08.21, 05:10 AM   #5
tsukigimehime

tsukigimehime has had more than 15 seconds of fame
Talking

I'm not too familiar with U2, but I can see what you mean, K__. A lot of her earlier work has really clear influences from the UK/western rock scene which I guess I'm seeing more as I look into her influences, music and musicians she herself has mentioned, etc. It makes me appreciate her more recent sounds, though, as there are many people who could find ways to imitate her early sound, but her current catalog feels mostly like her own (save pieces like shijou no jinsei, which I believe she said she struggled some with, as the TV show it was for requested a love song. It sounds like she fell back on her UK rock roots for that one, though I still find it pretty enjoyable)

Also, I actually really like Koufukuron (uhm, especially Etsuraku hen. I'll take the apparent issues with mastering as a subtle offering to me as she continues to not produce purely unnecessarily loud music hah) Maybe it's nostalgia (even though I was definitely not aware of her at that time), or how the PV is impressive and strong yet cute and somewhat haunting with all of the scenes where she's absent from the band in particular.

Nihm, I agree on actually listening to her music these days, though maybe that's also related to not having to rely on p2p services to give me full albums while I was too young to get the CDs myself

There was actually a time where if I listened to music, it probably wasn't Ringo (though by that point with only a handful of songs she had already made such an impact on me that I still considered her my absolute, my everything, a heavensent musician, etc., etc. haha)

I totally missed out on how awesome Yokushitsu is until I finally heard the Zazen version on Mitsugetsushou (which led me to finally watching zazen all the way through x_x I feel awful for making myself wait that long)
The acoustic guitar adds so much flavor to the song, and the bassline is unforgettable (it also sounding weirdly good on the karaoke machines, I've found).

I also really agree about the ZCS version of Yattsuke Shigoto. It blew me away when she pulled that one out at Expo14! I don't know if anyone expected to hear that song again--is it the first time she'd done that version post-Zazen...? It makes me curious as to how she (or whoever is responsible) puts together the setlists for shows.

Gekokujyo, MM really does has a lot of timeless tracks, doesn't it. It's very emotive, and thoughtful, but it still has a really enjoyable roughness to it.

I've read that she wanted to debut with Suberidai (I'm sure you've all heard the same), and as much as I love how offbeat and kind of haunting? Koufukuron is, starting off your major career with Suberidai would have been incredible. Its instrumentation is nostalgic in some ways, but it always sounds fresh. I also find Tadashii Machi super sincere, though I love to listen to it alongside Shizuka naru Gyakushuu, the opening track for Sunny. I still feel the distrust and hesitancy she has toward Tokyo, but also that she's moved on and gotten accustomed to it, and is making it her's.

I'm glad you brought up suberidai, though, because I actually find myself listening to Watashi to Hatsuden a lot recently. She has tons of powerful B-sides! I wonder if she'll bring any out for the upcoming tour I'd love to hear Toki ga Bousou suru, though I think I'd rather experience it with Hata on drums... I'm sure Tamada is good too though...!! Or maybe a rearrangement of Sigma

(sorry for the long response post, but I like reading all of your thoughts...!)

Last edited by tsukigimehime : 2015.08.21 at 05:13 AM.
tsukigimehime is offline   Reply With Quote