View Single Post
Old 2009.04.25, 02:28 PM   #5
kuro_neko

kuro_neko puts considerable thought into their posts

this is how I always perceived her.

eccentric. when it comes to her vision and her music, she has a very strong aesthetic and vision, so it can tend to intimidate others as she is probably unyielding in that aspect.

but in real life I think she is at heart a normal japanese girl who enjoys buying lipstick (as kameda joked about onstage) and getting crushes on the bad boys and guitar players.

her interviews have always been very polite, she is always well spoken and extremely intelligent. I think earlier in her career she had more frustration with the system in Japan and with being singled out, she played that card a bit more. Also, at that time I think the concept of "Ringo" as a persona was new and stronger to her, she actually identified this "Ringo" as someone she was playing, whereas over the years I think "Ringo" has been absorbed into her to a point where persona or not, she is simply "Shiina Ringo" and all else has disappeared. I would take a wager and guess that her parents and brother probably all refer to her as "Ringo-chan" this is supported by her statements that she continued on into Jihen with the name because, well, after so many years, it now is her actual name.

You also have to look at her age. When she started she was very young, now she is older and more mature. When I go back and look at pre-MM stuff I kind of have this "mall goth" kind of "LOOK AT ME" attention-whoreish impression. With KZK I got a much more refined and provocative but intelligent vibe. Both manage to be arousing and fresh, but she defining has refined and matured her ways over the years.

we all like to joke around that in real life she is a huge bitch and control freak because we think she is such a diva, haha, but I really stand by my belief that she is a great mother, a kind friend, and a gentle human being. It is because she is sensitive that she can get on this stage and scream into a mic or go into a studio and immediately know what she wants. She has a vision and she goes for it, but that doesn't make her a bitch.

It is like society tells us to think strong women are crazy or bitchy, it is a bit of a joke. If Ringo was a man, I don't think any of us would have started the "is Ringo a dick" thread. So in a way I think she still suffers from sexism both in and outside of Japan and that is another factor as to her perception.
kuro_neko is offline   Reply With Quote