View Single Post
Old 2011.11.16, 07:43 AM   #313
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

Speaking of Wes Anderson:
Some of you (I think Jihad?) have talked about how a work of art's meaning to you personally matters more than it's objective quality. In the case of the Royal Tenenbaums, I have to agree.
I was in a really bad place when I first saw that movie (it was on TV). I wasn't depressed, it was more like a grey funk. I was having kind of a teenage existential crisis mixed in with family and school problems. Anyways, I saw it, and for some reason it freaked me out. It actually made me more depressed, which lasted for a couple of days. Then I did something stupid. I got the DVD and a portable DVD player and watched the movie (the whole thing) while taking a bath. You know, like Gwyneth Paltrow's character in the film. And then I felt better, better than I was before I watched the movie the first time. So, it kind of helped me reassess my life's situation and fix some of my problems, and it is very important to me, as a person, even if it is not objectively perfect or overrated as a film, because it means something to me, which is better than it just being "good".
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote