View Single Post
Old 2011.12.16, 09:49 PM   #3
Tokyo Jihad

Tokyo Jihad knows what you did last summerTokyo Jihad knows what you did last summer

2011 Honorable mentions time!

PJ Harvey - Let England Shake: I'm going to go ahead and clear this up before anything. I am just one man and tried my darndest to listen to every noteworthy album in anyone's book. Let England Shake was pimped by many including by many who have far better taste than I do. I'm sure when I get to properly listen to this record, it will own me hard. Unfortunately, for my worthless list, it was a victim of my human disposition and I didn't make proper time for it.

Bad Lip Reading: This year we had records from The Lonely Island and Weird Al. They were completely neutralized on arrival as Bad Lip Reading blew them out of the water with their own brand of parody. Here's a link to their take on Michael Buble's "Just haven't met you yet", "Russian Unicorn." The best pop song I heard this year. Their take on Taylor Swift, also transcendent.

Lady Gaga - Born this Way: I kind of feel Lady Gaga was a victim of her own success as this album just doesn't seem to get the love I think it deserves (when The Fame Monster did, what?) She met some resistance when she debuted the title track with people calling out the "Express Yourself" likeness. Sometimes its a cop out to hide behind the word homage, but this is a case that is clearly apt -- was the overt nod with the gapped-teeth in the music video not blunt enough. An homage to one of her idols -- isn't that some of the highest forms of respect an artist can give another? Anyway, the album also is full of interesting homages to specifically european dance and industrial-tinged music. I thought it was pretty ballsy for a high profile pop record and more in line with her debut i reality.

Oneohtrix Point Never - Replica: This is a wonderful record. The only reason this wasn't in my list is because I didn't find it until after I had finalized my list. It is a minimalist ambient record, so it probably isn't for those that need to sing along with their music. But I do find it extremely accessible. The title track and "Sleep Dealer" are must hears.

Gang Gang Dance - Eye Contact: A very groovy, fun record that becomes more interesting as I listen. The 11 minute opener, "Glass Jar" is a surprisingly fun and enjoyable listen and segues nicely into the standout "Adult Gothic."

Shabazz Palaces - Black Up: Odd Future/Tyler's Goblin was kind of long in the tooth, and Watch the Throne was fun for a cheap thrill, beyond that I thought it was a rather slow year for rap. Enter Shabazz Palaces. I implore my cousins (who are more in to that scene than I) to give this record a chance. I know in a couple years they'll recommend the album back obliviously.

SBTRKT - s/t: I have been told by several people that I carry no dance music. Is this at least a start?

The Flaming Lips - 7 Skies H3: aka the 24 hour song. I wish I could say I knew this thing front to back, but alas.

Chelsea Wolfe - Apokalypsis: A gothic pop record (kinda) -- the 90's are coming back kids! A very solid listen, doesn't drone on, ironically. Wish I could have put it on my list.

The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions: How could I forget the REAL best album released this year? Since it is unclear whether to consider this a new release or not, I omitted it. But really, if you only listen to one record this year, make it this

Last edited by Tokyo Jihad : 2011.12.16 at 10:06 PM.
Tokyo Jihad is offline   Reply With Quote