View Single Post
Old 2013.12.27, 11:35 AM   #24
Inseu

Inseu has had more than 15 seconds of fame

Originally Posted by Tokyo Jihad View Post
She opens the album with two of her most produced tracks. “Zettai Kanojo” and “Midnight Seijun isei Kouyuu” ring in like any other jpop-starlet you’ll run into on Jpopsuki. If you are Idol-phobic like myself -- these are two of the best tracks on the record. They are essentially Oomori Seiko songs, just super charged.
"Super charged" by her standards, namely acoustic guitar plus singing. They're pretty tame compare to most of Ringo's work, such as Kabukichō no Joō, Honnou, Jihen's Ringo no Uta, OSCA...

Originally Posted by TurtleFu View Post
...most songs I don't find particularly interesting. Her voice can also be pretty grating, most are her just wailing with a guitar...I don't think her music stands on its own merits. She intentionally integrates her "character" into her music...
These are valid criticisms from people who are not big fans.

Seiko Oomori's perfect fan is someone who likes edgy female singer-songwriters with some degree of image appeal, often shows dismissive attitude towards Japanese idol music, and loves the singer's voice enough to tolerate the minimalistic music. The singer's voice is essentially what's doing the trick. You have to love Seiko's voice to enjoy her howling.

So far, I'm neither a fan of her voice nor the music, which is mostly indie folk. And in my own twisted view of music, I add the adjective "boring" to anything labeled as folk. I like glamorous, sexy female singers with loads of melodic, fast-paced songs (Ringo, Amuro Namie, Suzuki Ami, Goto Maki etc).

Last edited by Inseu : 2013.12.27 at 11:40 AM.
Inseu is offline   Reply With Quote