View Single Post
Old 2013.12.27, 04:42 PM   #30
TurtleFu

TurtleFu deserves a fucking medal

dg you are such a stan and I find it hilarious.
Listening to Zettai Shoujo. The entire album is much better produced and engineered. Not just the first two tracks (which are purposefully OVERproduced), but even the songs afterwards that are more in her "girl and guitar" style, she really opened up the soundstage. Also, she seems to be a lot better at editing, songs no longer seem like they last FOREVER and nothing has really bored me as much as Koenji at this point.
Again, I really do appreciate her diversity. Maybe as Shiina fans we take it as a given that an artist can feel comfortable in a wide range of disparate genres, but Oomori really does handle her folk, pop, trip-hop etc. really well.

I don't think comparing her to Shiina is fruitful. It's why I like the Togawa comparisons better, because I think it captures both the performance and artistry aspect of her. Oomori is only comparable to Shiina in the sense that they are vaguely transgressional, but Shiina's music has always had a far more melodic foundation than Oomori's. Muzai Moratorium has lots of catchy choruses. Most songs in Mahou don't even have choruses.

EDIT: Spoke too soon. Just got to Aoi Heya and boy is it boring. But I do like her voice in it, I like fragile upper register.
TurtleFu is offline   Reply With Quote