View Single Post
Old 2009.06.08, 04:07 PM   #962
ShinjiPG
Retired Member

ShinjiPG raises the standards of what a community can offer

Originally Posted by kuro_neko View Post
btw, Shinji, if you classify Lynch movies by such things as "weird stuff" and "girl on a bed" I sincerely doubt you should be insulting Merman nor representing Lynch's work. Try reading his Wiki or academic criticism of his films and then maybe you will see something other than "weird stuff."
Ok, first of all, I didn't insult merman. If anything, he insulted me.
I'm not representing Lynch's work, only he should be doing that.
And if you read further, you'll see I just made a personal comment on how I felt like the PV was directed by Lynch (considering only the short preview). Other people compared it to stuff like YUKI's videos and whatnot and you didn't see me going "Hey you're wrong!".

One common label given by people unfamiliar with Lynch's films is "weird" and even he uses "weird stuff" to express inexplicable fear of his characters, so I don't see anything wrong in putting "weird stuff" in the check-list of things that make people think of David Lynch.
And a "woman on a bed" is probably the whole thing around Mulholland Drive, even more if one considers great part of the film to be the dream of a "woman on a bed".
I could even add the lamp to the check-list, seeing as lamps are a common motif in every Lynch film.

And don't even start with the "go read academic criticism of his works". I have one licence certificate on Film Studies, it's academic. I have read the whole Cahiers du Cinema book about Lynch and also the Lynch on Lynch book, not to mention having seen all his films, short-films, music videos, etc. But do I need to make a long academic post just to explain why, for me, it felt like it had Lynch elements in the preview of the PV? I think not.
Actually, we didn't even had to reach this point

Did this whole post sound offensive? Who knows! Hopefully it's only a post from someone who is trying to make his point across and people see it that way.

PS - It's funny, there's even a book called "Weirdsville U.S.A.: The Obsessive Universe of David Lynch". Find it here.