View Single Post
Old 2012.06.22, 08:19 PM   #25
Positron

Positron has had more than 15 seconds of fame

We can start talking about this more in-depth?

01. Ikiru - Neat. A little too much fog, but whatever.

02. Atarashii Bunmei-kaika - While it's nice they got this obligatory performance out of the way, I like this better as an ending song.

03. Konya wa Karasawagi - If this song came out around the Variety/Sports era this would definitely be one of their anchor songs that gets performed at every concert. It's not bad, but there's nothing special here.

04. OSCA - Thanks for reminding us who you guys were, Izawa; Ringo's tired-ass megaphone was starting to give me amnesia. If Kameda wanted to make the head rub a running gag he should have done it during a different song.

05. FOUL - see title (seriously, I hate megaphones)

06. Season Sayonara - Hello dapper violin cat. They should have leveraged your talents a little better during the song, but it's nice to have you along for the ride.

07. Carnation - Scheduled costume change break already? At least the song is appropriate for taking another retrospective look at the members of Tokyo Jihen.

08. Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko - My favorite redone song of the concert. The brass section seemed the most natural here. One of two songs to benefit from the afro wig, and the backdrop highlighting the guys on playing cards was also a nice touch.

09. Kai-horrordust - This song is actually all right within the context of the concert since you know Izawa's pretty good at dragging out a song in more ways that one. A welcome surprise.

10. Honto no Tokoro - Hata's offering is by no means terrible but watching him strain during parts of his performance makes me want to clear /my/ throat.

11. sa_i_ta - Finally, Izawa gets revenge for all the times Ukigumo's upstaged him in previous concerts by setting his electric keyboard to warbling slide whistle mode. All kidding aside, this song suffers the most from a straight transition to live and should really have gotten a "sa_i_ta FOR DJ" treatment. Anything to get Ukigumo and Izawa to rap one more time.

12-13. Noudouteki / Shuraba - Interchangeable performances from previous concerts in terms of song quality, it really comes down to which costumes you like better >_>

14. Zettai Zetsumei - When I first heard the disco vibe and the orchestral part had just started, I was like "hell yeah they're dance-mixing Hatsukoi Shoujo this is so awesome and out of left field" but then I found out it was Zettai Zetsumei and was a little disappointed with my unrealistic expectations. Cute dance routine though, and this was the other song that benefitted from the afro wig. Only an over-30 Ringo could pull off this sort of performance.

15. Ice Cream no Uta - Izawa can't dance, Ukigumo tries to leverage his low volume into some sort of smoothness, Kameda gets lost in the moment too easily, and Hata sings like a nerd. For lack of a better expression... how darling?

16. Bonus Stage - So instead of Ice Climbers we have Ice Creamers. I... guess it fits, but really I'd support any excuse to sneak in short orchestral renditions of old video game music into a concert.

17. Oishii Kisetsu - Ringo should take back all of the songs she gave to Chiaki and put them on her next solo album. I loved the framework of this song but was disgusted at how Chiaki tried to pass the vocals off, so I'm more than satisfied with this performance.

18. Onna no ko etc. - Fuck these dancers.

19. Omatsurisawagi - Almost ties Kaitei ni Sukuu Otoko for my personal favorite redone song this concert.

20. Tengoku e Youkoso - You're gonna /what/ and drink my life as your left shoulder strap suddenly drops? I don't know how she can make the "s" sound like an "f" at times, but excellent rendition regardless. Now if she could tap on my window too...

21-24. Capsule / Denpa / Senkou / Kachi - yawn

25. Killer Tune - Izawa's got that look that says "goddammit this orchestra is gonna cut into my tiny piano lead-in to the second part of the song"

26-28. Natteiru / Marunochi / Gunjou - see Noudouteki / Shuraba

29. Seishun no Matataki - I'm not a huge fan of the song but it's a solid performance that's better than Chiaki could ever do so that's never bad.

30. Toumei Ningen - They could have done better for an ending song. Oh, wait a minute...

31. Handsome Sugite - It's a shame they didn't actually perform this during the credit sequence because it would have been a better send-off.

B/B+ material, A- if you enjoy Ringo leg and ice cream.
Retrospective EDIT: I just realized I either wrote off or shit on a third of the concert, so it's B material maximum. Can't let myself rate it only on the aspects I really loved.

Last edited by Positron : 2012.06.24 at 03:53 PM.
Positron is offline   Reply With Quote